A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inherited Vintage Yarns  (Read 873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cherith

...some secrets are better left undiscovered...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2007 06:28:06 PM »

So my grandmother-in-law used to be a Shop & Swap-er.  She's got all this great stuff laying around that never got around to being fixed or getting sold.  Recently she inherited four vintage sewing machines and a bunch of yarn, fabric and patterns.    She let me have my pick of the sewing machines, but then she also sent me home with this giant bag of old vintage yarn. I had to share.  It doesn't have any dates/years on it, so I'm not sure how old exactly some of it is.  However, by the colors I'm guessing late 70s early 80s.  The good news is that it's all acrylic, so it's washable and still good.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007 06:37:55 PM by Cherith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
The Church of Craft for Kansas City!
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."  ~Aristotle
ShiningStar
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007 06:32:28 PM »

Enjoy your new stuff.  Can you fix the pictures you put up of the yarn and sewing machine you picked?  Also what is a Shop & Swap-er?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007 06:40:05 PM »

Pictures are up.  Apparently, it didn't like my numbered pictures the first time.  *grin*

Swap 'n Shop/ Shop 'n Swap.  It's like a big out door garage sale.  Around here (Midwest, US) this was popular back in the 70s and 80s.  People would set up shop and mingle with other sellers.  My grandmother-in-law and her late husband loved to do this, and they'd always buy things from people that needed fixing up.  They'd fix them, and then bring them back the next time to sell again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
ShiningStar
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007 06:53:40 PM »

O.K. thanks.  The brands don't look at all familar. I think you are right about the time period.  Not just the colors but the lettering or printing on the labels look late 70's-early 80's too.  Do you have ideas what you want to make yet? What sewing machine did you pick or did you pick one? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007 07:05:47 PM »

The "Perfect Match Sport" yarns all have old Sears price tags on them.  Sears hasn't sold craft stuff for who knows how long.  Which is why I'm guessing late 70s.

I picked up an old Singer machine. 

And a the sewing basket that came with it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Jodi1978
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007 07:35:02 PM »

I would say some of that yarn is from the early 70's. And you are right about still good. I have use alot of acrlic yarn like that. Pick it up at auctions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RonnieCat
Weird and Proud of it!

Pleased to meet you, I'm Shiyiya. *curtsies*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007 07:45:32 PM »

I recognize 1 brand.  I inherited some yarn from my mom's mom when she died (like 7 years ago and I barely knew her, I was asked if I wanted anything and I said yarn!), and several skeins of it are Sayelle.  (There's also a bunch of skeins sans labels.  I have no clue what the fibres are.  Which could be a bad thing....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster chat! Firefox users with Chatzilla installed, go to irc://irc.aniverse.com/craftster http://tinyurl.com/5vv88b has instructions for anyone else, and http://tinyurl.com/62ynka has a link for a browser-based chat Smiley
funkyhooker
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007 07:47:03 PM »

Is it really really wrong that I'm totally jealous of your Dazzle Aire?  I inherited a bunch of it and I used it up a long time ago.  LUCKY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
ShiningStar
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007 07:57:37 PM »

It's true that Sears and other department stores use to sell craft stuff.  I can remember being about 3 years old when my mom took crochet and knitting class at Sears.  They had a bunch of yarn in different colors. Also my mom has knitting needles that say say Sears on top.  Definetly need to keep those.

I can't wait to see all your sewing and needle work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007 10:06:12 PM »

What I'm most glad about is that it's not all one skein here and there.  She went out of her way to buy four, five or six skeins at a time.  Plenty enough for good sized projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Contour and Highlight Your Face
How You Should Be Exfoliating Your Skin
How to Find the Right Red Lipstick for You
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Best New Beauty Products for March
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...