A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Log cabin pattern  (Read 1211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

newbieweaver
« on: January 08, 2007 07:11:00 AM »

I guess I'm not an intuitive weaver, but I find it difficult to follow directions on how to set up various weaving patterns that I see in books or online. From all you more experienced weavers, what will happen if I set up my warp to have alternating light and dark with light in the slots then dark in the holes for an area and then changing that to dark in the slots and light in the holes. I would then alternate the weft with light and dark. Is this a log cabin pattern or something else? How would this look? Several websites stated that you would need two heddles to create a log cabin pattern. I have a rigid heddle loom and only one heddle. Do you know of any books or sites that explain patterns to dummies like me? Really...such as saying "you need to put this in the slots and that in the holes". I've made several plain weave items and they've turned out pretty nicely. I want to try something different and since I'm using wool that I spin myself, I really don't want to make a mess and waste a lot of the yarn. Any help???!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007 01:09:31 PM »

That sounds like log cabin to me. I have never tried this on a rigid heddle loom, but I know it can be done...I don't see why you would need two heddles other than to have more ends per inch. I have two books on rigid heddle weaving, The Ashford Book of Rigid Heddle Weaving by Rowena Hart and Hands on Rigid Heddle Weaving by Betty Linn Davenport. The Hands On book is actually from Davenport's pursuit of the Handweaver's Guild of America certificate of excellence in Handweaving. It's a really indepth book with a project included in log cabin so you'll like that. The instructions are also written for a rigid heddle which would be helpful to you in trying to figure out where to put the yarns  Grin There are also some really funny cloths patterns from the 80s. Great stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
newbieweaver
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007 11:13:02 AM »

I have the Davenport book and found it helpful for warping the loom, but not so much for understanding the various pattern possibilities. I guess it'll just take more experience to understand how this all works! Thanks for the  suggestions:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mountain_waif
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007 07:30:56 AM »

I have Deborah Chandler's book Learning to Weave.  It has helped me a lot.

I am a new weaver too, currently weaving a diagonal rib weave scarf on my four harness table loom...my first four harness project.  I wasn't sure that I was reading the draft correctly.  So I would look at the draft which is written for a loom that has pedals (gives you a way to tie up more than one harness on a pedal) so I had to write out a weft pattern (cheat sheet to me) of which harnesses to use and then let it repeat.  It is working out just as written, I just needed to read and read and read until it made sense to me.  I also found that the selvages did not come out right so I changed the threading to leave the outside thread on each side out of the heddle (a floating thread) to use to get the selvages to look right.  I am taking it slow and learning how to make my selvages even and my scarf the same size throughout the weaving.
Samples are great, but I chose to weave the entire scarf with lower price yarn.  This is letting me realize what sticky means, so I am careful to move the woven part more often and beat after the change in harnesses to make sure the shed is opening correctly.  I have two feet woven so far and I am very happy with it.
When you start, it is hard to trust that it will look right, but the only way to find out is to just do it and if it doesn't work out ... take it back out...reread...and try again. 
Keep trying and everything will eventually work out.  Most of the drafts that I have found are not written for a table loom but a pedaled floor loom but knowing what the difference is makes the drafts usable.  Just study how to read a draft, rewrite it fit your loom if necessary, and then trust yourself. 
Good luck and just keep at it.  You will be weaving like a pro in no time .. I am sure. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
newbieweaver
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007 11:37:25 AM »

Cool! Thanks for the encouragement:) I got a little crazy when learning to weave didn't go as well or easily as learning to crochet or spin. I may try the library for more books, but I tend to learn by doing things better than anything. I'm in the process of spinning more wool for another wrap. I may try to post some pics to see what you all think about how I can improve my techniques. Thanks for all the help you crafters you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Writers Are Chasing the Art World
From Fandom to Obsession: The Cult Following of Bob Dylan
Horse Saves Troubled Teen
Interview with ‘Words and Pictures’ Star Bruce Davison
Chelsea Cain Introduces Her Blockbuster New Series
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...