A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 306,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Avast Men's Zip Sweater from Knitty  (Read 6096 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shivashiva
« on: January 07, 2007 07:12:48 PM »

I was surprised I couldn't find much about this sweater on here, or online. It's so hard to find men's sweater patterns out there, and this seems to be a nice one. I just started it on Jan. 4th, so if anyone wants to join in, let's have a knit along!

Here's the pattern: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTavast.html

I'm knitting this for my husband in the size medium. I'm substituting Knitpicks Swish (though the called for yarn is inexpensive) and I bought 16 balls. I've just finished the cable band for the waist, and it killed me!!! I've done the irish hiking scarf, which was my only cable experience, but this seemed pretty annoying. I got faster at the end, but still pretty annoying. Here's my progress so far:

I like the simple design. This is the cable band on the bottom that replaces the ribbing, it's almost 2 inches wide, and 40 inches long, circling the waist. The rest of the sweater is stockinette with some sleek designing (compared to other mens frumpy sweaters!)

Join me!! Knit something cool for your man! (or yourself if you are a man)  Smiley

Best,
Shiva

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxwell17
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007 04:43:52 AM »

I'm knitting Avast for my boyfriend as well! I don't have any pictures to post right now, but I will post some later. I've completed both sleeves and the cabled band.

I'm knitting the XL, and I think it may take a long time to complete - it's huge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brightlights
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007 09:27:36 AM »

I have to show this pattern to my hubby.  He is SOOOO picky, but he is bugging me to make him a sweater.  Even if he does like this though, I will probably wait until I am done the sweater I am making for myself. I will be watching this thread, so post lots of pics.  Is the Knitpicks Swish soft?  Another problem with knitting for the guy is that he is sensitive to some kinds of wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxwell17
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007 03:50:12 PM »

I'm knitting this in Wool-Ease so it will be softer than pure wool. I've been pleased with the pattern - it's well written and easy to follow.
I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me figure out how to post pictures, but you can visit my blog to see a couple of progress photos.
Make Time
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shivashiva
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007 04:57:37 PM »

I'm glad I'm not alone! I'll have more pics to post soon, but we're out of a camera right now. I"m almost done with the body. Lots of stockinette but I'm enjoying it.

The swish IS soft. I am so far pretty sensitive to itchiness, but this seems okay. I stuck the swatch down my shirt last night while knitting to see if I'd get itchy and I didn't.  I'm hoping to use swish to make some things for myself. Knitpicks also has the superwash worsted in "bare" so you can dye it yourself any color you want, which I may end up doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shivashiva
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007 11:12:03 PM »

I finished the body up to the armpits, then I started the sleeves and I'm on the 7th repeat of the increases on those. I'm working both sleeves together. I've changed the increases on the sleeves from kfb to m1.  whatdya think?  I thought there was no reason to have a bar increase if I could easily have a more invisible increase. I looked up both increases in vogue knitting and a couple other books and couldn't find a good reason not to. I sure hope it works! Anyone with sage words, please chime in.  Here's the pics:

This is both sleeves on the right, the body on the left, folded over itself to show the cardigan-ness, and to fit in the picture

Close up of the two fronts.

Oh, and by the way the the swish color is called "jade"

Best,
Shiva

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxwell17
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007 03:47:42 PM »

I did the sleeves first, because I knew I'd be sick of sockinette after the body. I'm now about 12 inches through the body, so soon I'll be joining the arms to the body. It looks like we're on pace to finish around the same time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marie707
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007 02:34:12 PM »

Wow this is cool.  I'm working on this for my boyfriend too.  I'm slowly working on the band.  I have a short attention span with all the cable stitchs and so keep putting it down.  I'll post pics soon.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marie
shivashiva
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007 09:28:25 AM »

okay guys, i've got serious issues. I've fininshed the knitting and some of the seaming. THE SLEEVES ARE TOO LONG! I am being bitten by the demon Gauge. I did a gauge swatch, but I did not wash my gauge swatch and then  measure it, and apparently with washing, the rows lengthen. observe:

[click for bigger picture]

This was my first blocking. After it dried and he tried it on, I decided to go another round of blocking. I sewed all the hems down (which I really think look great btw, I like that technique, even though it's time consuming) and wet blocked it again and now it's drying. I've pulled the sleeves out widthwise to take up the length slack. If that actually works, I'll just sew the sleeve seams so that the sleeves aren't super wide.

However, I know that may not work, and I may have to unravel the sleeves. My question:

can i unravel the sleeves from the bottom (where I originally cast on) and take out a bunch of rows and then reknit the hem? it seems like i'd have to knit in the wrong direction to do that and i'm just not sure.

the sweater came out really nice and i'll do practically anything to make it work. HELP!

Thanks,
Shiva
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepyhugger
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007 10:07:28 AM »

how funny!  i've been working on this sweater since last fall (christmas got in the way...).  i'm almost done with my second sleeve,  to which i've added intarsia.  i'm using knitpicks superwash, since i can't trust my man to handwash.

i will post pics soon.

sorry, i don't know how to shorten the sleeves...  maybe you could just rip the ends and then tack them under without the turning row?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
shivashiva
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007 06:03:32 PM »

I'm using swish, too and it grew! make sure you do a washed swatch to see how it goes for you, esp. before putting the hems on!

i was even thinking of redoing the whole yoke and sleeves, but i've already got the hems sewn on.  Sad

i suppose i could just unravel the sleeves and bind off and let them roll.....

i'll keep you posted, and I'd love to see pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepyhugger
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007 01:08:13 PM »

this is really scaring me...  i made the sleeves for my husband's longer than was suggested, since he's skinny but tall.  i measured off of a zip cardigan that he has and that he likes.  so, you followed the measurements in the pattern for a medium, it was fine before you washed it, and then the sleeves grew?  did you dry it in the dryer or block it to dry?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007 10:25:52 AM »

Shiva, you asked
"can i unravel the sleeves from the bottom (where I originally cast on) and take out a bunch of rows and then reknit the hem? it seems like i'd have to knit in the wrong direction to do that and i'm just not sure."  Shocked wow a problem for sure!

I am pretty sure that this is a solid plan.... as long as the pattern on the base of the sleves is basic, the direction should not change how it looks..... you may sse the join, but that will be because you will be sensitive to it, even then you will have to search for it. Wink

Keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
elabela
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007 08:53:41 PM »

anyone give me an idea for sizing? I would love eto surprise my hubs with this... he wears a size 38 pant, is about 6'. Above his 38' waist though he has a bit of a gut.. hehe

heres a picture..

I'll be fine with sleeve length,etc. but just wondered on a general level? He usually is an xl or so..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's my birthday! - November 8!
creepyhugger
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007 01:40:07 PM »

there are schematics at the end of the pattern, as far as how big around it will turn out for each size.  as long as you have the right gauge, it should be pretty accurate, although mine came out a bit small and i swear i have gauge...  my hubby likes things a bit loose, so maybe that's why. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chelseachip
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007 01:48:16 PM »

I'm in!  I will be starting this pretty soon for my BF.  I will also be working on Thermal from Knitty for my sister, so I am sure my progress will be slow.  I will be using Swish Superwash from Knit Picks.  I am glad I read about your growing issues, so I will definitely be swatching and washing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007 07:09:23 PM »

I'm working on this as well. I started it a month or so ago, and I'm still working on the cabled band (although, I'm nearly done) because I get bored with repetition. (Yeah, I can't WAIT for all the stockinette...)

This is supposed to be a Christmas present for my dad. I hope I get this done in time to make other people's gifts as well. Please tell me I'm not the only person mad enough to start planning Christmas gifts in August... a girl needs time to WORK, you know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: The Prettiest Star

Ravelry ID: honeypeaches
amyb444
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007 09:59:58 PM »

I'm working on this as well. I started it a month or so ago, and I'm still working on the cabled band (although, I'm nearly done) because I get bored with repetition. (Yeah, I can't WAIT for all the stockinette...)

This is supposed to be a Christmas present for my dad. I hope I get this done in time to make other people's gifts as well. Please tell me I'm not the only person mad enough to start planning Christmas gifts in August... a girl needs time to WORK, you know!

I'm also going to knit this as a Christmas present. It's for my husband. I'm going to knit a sweater for me first, and then he can get his. I plan on checking the KP Swish gauge and possibly use that, or Plymouth Encore. It has to feel good and be washable, because I refuse to handwash any boy clothes.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007 10:57:23 AM »

I'm using KP Wool of the Andes (since it was recommended on the pattern page), which IS hand wash/dry flat, but my dad can handle his own laundry Smiley

I really love this yarn, though! It feels fantastic in my hands.

I'm considering adding the cable pattern up the sleeves. What do you all think? Cool? Weird? Time-consuming? I don't know how many rows it will take me to do the sleeves (I guess I could do the math), so I don't know how to figure that all in.

Here's all I've got so far. I've got a ways to go:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007 01:29:48 PM by roxybritain » THIS ROCKS   Logged

zip
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007 09:18:10 AM »

I'm also going to knit this for Christmas, for my FIL. I'm using Cascade 220 Superwash.

I've been swatching all weekend, but haven't made gauge yet. I tried 7 and 6, and just started a 4 (need to buy a size 5). As soon as I match, I'll cast on (here's hoping!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007 10:25:27 AM »

Is it just me, or is the stockinette on the body just INTERMINABLE?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zip
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007 06:31:55 PM »

I anticipate the interminableness, but haven't reached it yet (only 2 inches up from the bottom so far).

I'll be feeling it by the sleeves, though.

I'll try to post a pic soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zip
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007 10:21:13 AM »

I just joined the sleaves and body and started decreasing for the yoke.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/avast01.jpg

How's everyone else doing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauruk
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007 08:17:53 AM »

The stockinette is just fine when watching Tv! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeypeaches

"Will knit for tattoos."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007 05:35:16 PM »

I decided to make it a half zip, so at least I can do St st in the round. It goes faster that way for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zip
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2007 09:43:43 PM »

I finished in time for Christmas. This was a lot of fun to knit!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007 09:44:26 PM by zip » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007 02:50:21 AM »

yea, zip!  How was it received?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zip
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007 06:15:04 PM »

Well received!

I was worried that it wouldn't fit. I got gauge on size 4 instead of 7. While knitting it looked a little small, and after blocking it looked a little big, but it was just right.

This is the best thing (knit) that I've made so far.

More photos on Ravelry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip
And the sun is still here...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...