A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,306
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Avast Men's Zip Sweater from Knitty  (Read 5243 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shivashiva
« on: January 07, 2007 07:12:48 PM »

I was surprised I couldn't find much about this sweater on here, or online. It's so hard to find men's sweater patterns out there, and this seems to be a nice one. I just started it on Jan. 4th, so if anyone wants to join in, let's have a knit along!

Here's the pattern: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/PATTavast.html

I'm knitting this for my husband in the size medium. I'm substituting Knitpicks Swish (though the called for yarn is inexpensive) and I bought 16 balls. I've just finished the cable band for the waist, and it killed me!!! I've done the irish hiking scarf, which was my only cable experience, but this seemed pretty annoying. I got faster at the end, but still pretty annoying. Here's my progress so far:

I like the simple design. This is the cable band on the bottom that replaces the ribbing, it's almost 2 inches wide, and 40 inches long, circling the waist. The rest of the sweater is stockinette with some sleek designing (compared to other mens frumpy sweaters!)

Join me!! Knit something cool for your man! (or yourself if you are a man)  Smiley

Best,
Shiva

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxwell17
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007 04:43:52 AM »

I'm knitting Avast for my boyfriend as well! I don't have any pictures to post right now, but I will post some later. I've completed both sleeves and the cabled band.

I'm knitting the XL, and I think it may take a long time to complete - it's huge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brightlights
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007 09:27:36 AM »

I have to show this pattern to my hubby.  He is SOOOO picky, but he is bugging me to make him a sweater.  Even if he does like this though, I will probably wait until I am done the sweater I am making for myself. I will be watching this thread, so post lots of pics.  Is the Knitpicks Swish soft?  Another problem with knitting for the guy is that he is sensitive to some kinds of wool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maxwell17
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007 03:50:12 PM »

I'm knitting this in Wool-Ease so it will be softer than pure wool. I've been pleased with the pattern - it's well written and easy to follow.
I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me figure out how to post pictures, but you can visit my blog to see a couple of progress photos.
Make Time
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shivashiva
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007 04:57:37 PM »

I'm glad I'm not alone! I'll have more pics to post soon, but we're out of a camera right now. I"m almost done with the body. Lots of stockinette but I'm enjoying it.

The swish IS soft. I am so far pretty sensitive to itchiness, but this seems okay. I stuck the swatch down my shirt last night while knitting to see if I'd get itchy and I didn't.  I'm hoping to use swish to make some things for myself. Knitpicks also has the superwash worsted in "bare" so you can dye it yourself any color you want, which I may end up doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shivashiva
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007 11:12:03 PM »

I finished the body up to the armpits, then I started the sleeves and I'm on the 7th repeat of the increases on those. I'm working both sleeves together. I've changed the increases on the sleeves from kfb to m1.  whatdya think?  I thought there was no reason to have a bar increase if I could easily have a more invisible increase. I looked up both increases in vogue knitting and a couple other books and couldn't find a good reason not to. I sure hope it works! Anyone with sage words, please chime in.  Here's the pics:

This is both sleeves on the right, the body on the left, folded over itself to show the cardigan-ness, and to fit in the picture

Close up of the two fronts.

Oh, and by the way the the swish color is called "jade"

Best,
Shiva

THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxwell17
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007 03:47:42 PM »

I did the sleeves first, because I knew I'd be sick of sockinette after the body. I'm now about 12 inches through the body, so soon I'll be joining the arms to the body. It looks like we're on pace to finish around the same time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marie707
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007 02:34:12 PM »

Wow this is cool.  I'm working on this for my boyfriend too.  I'm slowly working on the band.  I have a short attention span with all the cable stitchs and so keep putting it down.  I'll post pics soon.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marie
shivashiva
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007 09:28:25 AM »

okay guys, i've got serious issues. I've fininshed the knitting and some of the seaming. THE SLEEVES ARE TOO LONG! I am being bitten by the demon Gauge. I did a gauge swatch, but I did not wash my gauge swatch and then  measure it, and apparently with washing, the rows lengthen. observe:

[click for bigger picture]

This was my first blocking. After it dried and he tried it on, I decided to go another round of blocking. I sewed all the hems down (which I really think look great btw, I like that technique, even though it's time consuming) and wet blocked it again and now it's drying. I've pulled the sleeves out widthwise to take up the length slack. If that actually works, I'll just sew the sleeve seams so that the sleeves aren't super wide.

However, I know that may not work, and I may have to unravel the sleeves. My question:

can i unravel the sleeves from the bottom (where I originally cast on) and take out a bunch of rows and then reknit the hem? it seems like i'd have to knit in the wrong direction to do that and i'm just not sure.

the sweater came out really nice and i'll do practically anything to make it work. HELP!

Thanks,
Shiva
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creepyhugger
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007 10:07:28 AM »

how funny!  i've been working on this sweater since last fall (christmas got in the way...).  i'm almost done with my second sleeve,  to which i've added intarsia.  i'm using knitpicks superwash, since i can't trust my man to handwash.

i will post pics soon.

sorry, i don't know how to shorten the sleeves...  maybe you could just rip the ends and then tack them under without the turning row?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kickstart Your Morning Routine!
5 Minute Curly Hairstyle Tutorial
How to Create a Stylish, Easy Side Braid
How to Master the Half-Up Hairstyle
Time Crunch? 4 Hairstyles That Will Get You Out the Door
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...