A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WARM costume ideas??  (Read 10662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Electra
« on: October 04, 2004 05:15:04 PM »

I live in the midwest and though the temperature can get down to 30 degrees, trick-or-treating is a must. So I need some creative, WARM costume ideas for the evening.

Things I've done:

-Rabbit - pinned on bunny ears, thrift-store fur coat, tan pants with faux-fur pinned on the cuffs
-any number of furry brown animals - full brown bodysuit with a lion hood, dog hood, cat ears, etc.

i would like to venture away from the animal kingdom for a year...i also need something versatile - so i will be able to run during the various ghost tours and haunted houses and yet still look stylish. any ideas are totally appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004 05:38:22 PM »

oh, my, flashbacks to childhood!  every costume I had was made to incorporate or go over a snow suit, just in case.

some grown up options...
- witch - wear a black coat under your cape, no prob
- animals, as you mentioned
- beauty queen, homecoming queen, regular old queen - prom dress, fur coat, sash if a beauty queen, tiara, septor if a queen - wear pants under the dress if you're afraid you'll be cold
- "death" or executioner - you could wear just about anything under that black hooded cape!
- ghost - a little childish, but dead easy, just do the sheet thing and wear warm clothes underneith
- hippie - helps if you have an old army jacket
- hobo - hehe, works well for high school guys, except my friend scared an old lady once, she thought he was real

I hope some of those helped!  I'll add more if I think of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jebstertoaster
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004 07:59:04 AM »

Back in high school, one of my teachers came dressed as a gothic dairy farmer- plaid shirt, denim overalls/bibs, various fake piercings and eyeliner tatoos (on his shaved head), and black lip/eye makeup, complete with a pitchfork. Dairy farmers work in all kinds of weather, layers would work fine, the flannel shirt would keep you cozy. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danger.kitty
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004 10:34:04 PM »

One year, many moons ago, when I lived in a place that was extremely cold at Hallowe'en, I went as a present.  I was able to wear my snowsuit with big boots, mits, and appropriate head gear under it.  Basically, the costume was just a huge box that I found, cut off the bottom flaps and cut a hole for the head in the top flaps after taping together, holes were also cut in the sides for arms...after that, I used really pretty wrapping paper to wrap the box and ribbon around the box to make it pretty...I also had a HUGE ribbon bow that I pinned to my toque.  As I remember, I was a very warm and happy trick or treater.

My other suggestion for a warm costume is to go as a lumberjack.  The costume usually consists of a big pair of black boots, rolled up jeans, a heavy plaid button up jacket over a long sleeved tshirt, and suspenders.  I have either worn my hair in pigtails or found my hat with the earflaps to go along with it.

Overall, if you're trying to look sexy, these costumes aren't it, BUT you'll be warm at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
CrZyGrL
<maybe you should kiss someone nice, or lick a rock, or both>

everybody scream your heart out

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004 04:53:06 AM »

kk, i really don't kno wht kind of look u r going for but if you r going to wear a dress ( like me) i would wear long john's under them well the pants at least... leggings or just long johns usally will fit unseen under whtever u want to go as!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but this is all i really want, just to be loved-- all this trash is in my head i got to throw it away
{what if i wanted to break, laugh it all off in your face}
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004 07:32:03 AM »

i work at joann's and this woman came in the other day to get some pink polar fleece.  her daughter was going to be a princess, and she had a really pretty pink dress, so her mom was making her a hooded cape thing to go over it so she wouldn't be too cold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teri
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004 08:32:39 AM »

similar to danger kitty one year my costume consisted of a large box ....instead of a present though my cousin and i were a pair of dice and my brother was a jack in the box....we wore warm clothes under the box...they were pretty funny costumes but not very comfortable - - walking around in a box with your arms stuck out tyring to fill your treat bag = not fun
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004 08:38:05 AM »

Dress up as an Eskimo!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrZyGrL
<maybe you should kiss someone nice, or lick a rock, or both>

everybody scream your heart out

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004 11:01:45 AM »

ooohhh i lyk that idea...... u kno u could go a pirate (lyk me!!!) i am going to wear a pair of jeans and then loop earings this pirate hat thingy and these arm bands with skulls and i haven't' decided on a shirt yet but i am thinking along the lines of the pirates of the caribean............. i dunno.......ko well i think u kno it m ight be warm..Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but this is all i really want, just to be loved-- all this trash is in my head i got to throw it away
{what if i wanted to break, laugh it all off in your face}
greydangertaxi
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004 05:02:57 PM »

Hey,
one of my many ideas is to go as a lost climber.
I was going to get one of those "ice fx" make-up kits to make it look as though I had icicles in my hair and frost bites, then wear a heavy jacket with gloves, carry arong some rope and a couple carabiners, or an ice ax...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elysium
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004 01:10:21 AM »

You could be a scarecrow. Put on jeans and a flannel shirt, tie up the cuffs at the ankles and wrists. Then stuff the area between the clothes and your body. Then stuff some straw in so it's poking out the wrists, ankles, and neckline. You can also get acheap canvas hat and have some straw sticking out under that. and face paint like round rosy cheeksand a clown mouth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004 02:18:27 AM »

Dress up as an Eskimo!!!

Hee, hee.  I did that one year when I was little.  It was randomly freezing on Halloween, so I put on a big coat and said I was an eskimo.  An eskimo in jeans and sneakers...I actually just looked like a kid in a coat, but I'm sure if you put a lot of thought into it it could be cute. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Develop Basic Welding Skills
How to Do Screen Printing
How to Do Half Double Crochet
How to Dry Apple Slices for Crafts
How to Ebonize Wood
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...