A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! destructive bunny!  (Read 2471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancecrafter

the snack that smiles back...!

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2007 11:09:01 AM »

my mom got a bunny rabbit at the end of the summer this year and he has recently become quite destructive.  He chews on EVERYTHING and gets into EVERYTHING.  I thought maybe some of you creative minds on craftster might have ideas to stop him from destroying our house.  Right now our two main problems are that he chews on the corners of the walls and he gets into our plants. these are our current "solutions":
chewing the corners:

getting into the plants:

close up of plant:

obviously these are not very...erm...decora tive solutions.  Any ideas for something more elegant and less cardboard box-y?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyoko79

Sigh...it's too true.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007 11:47:38 AM »

Does he live in a cage?  We found that if we made sure our little ones had plenty to tear up when IN their cage, then they mostly left things alone when they were OUT of it.  They especially liked unfinished grass mats that they could sit on while they tore them to pieces Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It turns out they do make hats in my size. They are called "BUCKETS" and they sell them at the hardware store."
dancecrafter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007 12:05:12 PM »

yes, he does live in a cage.  We've tried buying him all sorts of chew toys and things, but he never seems interested in them.  I've never heard of the grass mats, but I think he'd like that because he really likes digging, so i'll try to find them.  We had some cardboard boxes on the floor for a while which he loved standing on while scratching and chewing, but they were destroyed after about a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
march
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007 02:30:39 PM »

I'm surprised your bun hasn't started to work on the cardboard yet.  Grin

I don't know if you're familiar with rabbit.org , but they have some really great information on why rabbits do things-- like chewing holes in stuff.

For the plants you might want to use a wire mesh around it. You could thread ribbon or anything really through the mesh to make it not ugly.

I've also heard of a spray that acts a repellant for rabbits. You just spray the items that you don't want your rabbit to chew periodically. I've never actually seen this product, but it might be good to look into.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancecrafter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 03:22:40 PM »

The spray you've heard of is probably bitter apple spray.  I have some from when I had a hamster and we tried using it but it only worked for a few hours and it seemed to attract gnats, which was gross.

the wire mesh sounds like a good idea - I'll see about trying that.

I did read an article on rabbits.org and one of the things they suggest is temporarily blocking of whatever it is they like to chew on or get into, so that's what we did.  thanks for the suggestion though.

does anyone else's rabbit have a habit of chewing ONLY the things it is not supposed to chew? thats what ours seems to do.  he refuses to chew on chew toys or anything but loves chewing on anything and everything else.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kurtzie
Kurtzie

kitty feet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007 12:17:05 PM »

when i use to raise rabbits we had good luck keeping them occupied with untreated (of course) chunks of wood and alphalfa cubes (the kind for horses work) it is their version of a dog bone. Mine also loved tuna fish cans (no sharp edges) to throw around. Good luck!
P.S- arba.net might be able to help too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, PM me!

My ETSY! Including Hooker on the Go Keychains!
http://LittleGemsbyKari.etsy.com
westbrook
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007 09:09:17 PM »

yes, alfalfa cubes, tuna cans, place cardboard in the cage large enough for them to stand on. DryWall is great though with one rabbit a sheet of drywal is a bit large.. they chew it and it is quite healthy for them.. it has gypsum (CaSO4) which is calcium sulfate.

Sweet potatoes are good for them to chew on, a bunch of parsley is great for them and helps move fur from licking themselves.

Watch your electrical cords, they will be next.

alfalfa cubes, sweet potatoes, carrots are things you can give him to keep him busy when out of the cage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancecrafter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007 05:41:15 PM »

umm...sweet potatoes are on the toxic plants list...

anyway, thanks for all the suggestions everyone.  We've tried giving him toys and all sorts of things to play with and chew on, but he's not interested in any of them, so we're just trying to find ways to keep him distracted from walls and other things he shouldn't be chewing.  one thing that got him a LITTLE bit interested was some untreated wood cooking utensils my mom got at the dollar store. we soaked them in apple juice for at least 24 hours and then we put them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven on a low temp to dry them out so they wouldn't get moldy.  he was interested in those for a while, and still is a little bit, but he still prefers furniture and walls.  Undecided

we finally took the cardboard off the corners of the walls cuz he stopped chewing it, but we still need to keep the plants blocked off because he likes to jump in them.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
westbrook
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007 09:16:50 PM »

the greens of the sweet potato are toxic but not the sweet potato.. as the tomato plant is toxic but not the tomato or the potato or egg plant.

If I thought something was gonna hurt or kill one of my animals, believe me I would be the first to tell the world. I have 60 rabbits, more goats then that and 11 dogs. Not counting the chickens cause they move too fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007 06:25:30 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.  Cheesy I gave mine a corner in my sewing room where I stuffed news paper so they could dig whenever they wanted and that seemed to help, but this was my solution for the corners of other walls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Cake Stand
Ed Donovan Talks About Glass Blowing
Todd Hansen Talks About Glass Blowing
How to Make a Sexy Schoolgirl Halloween Costume
Turning a Collared Shirt Into a Sexy Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...