A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,360
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: washi paper switchplate and deco ornaments with Lazertran silk  (Read 2226 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wiseowl
« on: January 07, 2007 09:14:45 AM »

I have been playing with Lazertran transfers, after being less than thrilled with other transfer methods. Here is a switchplate cover detail, made with Japanese washi paper.

And some ornaments (still needing edge sanding) with some art deco prints.

It works very well, although is still vulnerable to fingerprints and tears- just not nearly as much as other color transfer techniques I have used. And mica powders go a long way in covering little boo boos. The only downside is having to so carefully plan out your photocopies- Lazertran is pricey so you don't want to waste it. But a little planning never hurt anyone, did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007 09:23:28 AM »

Okay, I have absolutely no idea how you do this, but I just wanted to say these are really beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007 01:55:31 PM »

Those look cool! 

Is the "washi paper" just a washi paper pattern (that you put onto your Lazertran transfer paper), or something else?  And which type of Lazertran are you using?  ... the images seem kind of light for Lazertran (and other methods) so just curious, or were you going for that delicate effect?

Oh and here are some tips I have for not wasting transfer paper (!) if it helps:

```````````````````````````````````
"DON'T WASTE PAPER . . .
Since many of the special papers can be expensive (t-shirt transfer papers, Lazertran, tattoo, and some photo quality ones), put as many prints on one page as you can.
...or, to use partial sheets of any paper: .
.......I print the image first on regular paper for placement image... then I tape a smaller piece of the transfer paper I want to use over that image (only on the side to be fed in), and run it through the printer again. Judy S. (remember, the paper must feed into the printer upside down)
........and since I also don't want to waste too much ink for the "placement" image (especially for larger images, and more expensive papers), I plan to make that placement image with:
........"draft" option ....or "lowest quality" ......or b&w option
....... or by selecting the "line drawing" feature or something similar in my photo editor, then printing that image instead
...............(in my Photo Elements, the best selection may be Filters>Stylize>Trace Contours... then Enhance>Color>Remove Color
...don't forget to use the original image when printing on the real paper tho!)

........or by stopping the printer after it's printed only a line or two (can be a hassle sometimes to reset mine tho'...)

........or by forgetting the placement image, and just selecting the upper right or upper left corner to print the image, then using a bit larger piece of good paper than I might otherwise (which should at least give me a lot more than I'd get from one page before)
............or just printing anywhere at top of the page, then cutting off remaining paper horizontally and evenly just beneath it, and using remaining paper again

`````````````````````````````````````

(Fun4Bambi, for info on using Lazertran to do transfers on polymer clay, as well as using other papers and methods, look on this page at my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/transfers.htm
... click on Lazertran, under Transfer Papers for the Lazertran options...)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007 02:00:20 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
sheriffkarli
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007 08:07:04 PM »

that switchplate=beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
wiseowl
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007 05:43:48 AM »

Thanks for the tips! I will have to try them out. This was Lazertran silk, and yes, it was a photocopy (with reduction) of actual washi paper. I have found the images I produce are light, unless there is a lot of black or dark colors in the original, but I use mostly translucent clay with just a touch of color, as well, for the plate covers. This makes it quite pale, but I like the effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Faux Bob
How to Style a Slick Wet Look Ponytail
How to Create a Messy Wet Look Hair
The Knot: A Great Hairstyle You Can Do At Home
The Right Way To Tease Your Hair: Hair Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...