A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first sweater! (a Berroco shapely pattern)  (Read 3792 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jetgrrl
« on: January 06, 2007 07:15:13 PM »

I actually finished most of this in May (just in time for non-sweater weather here in NH), but the neckline was too big. I got some great help here with ideas for how to cinch it a bit, and I ended up doing single crochet around the neckline twice. It still a bit open at the neck but not falling off my shoulders.

This is from a Berroco pattern (Bernadette from book 234) meant for their suede yarn. I substituted Cascade Peruvian Wool in a cool blue-green color. I picked the pattern because it was shaped and had some cool embelishments, but not so much that it would be intimidating. Plus I learned to use a cable needle!

The detailing is on the front and both sleeves

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Huhwhat?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007 07:24:37 PM »

Perfect! You did a great job on the neckline, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007 08:41:35 PM »

That looks great! It's so well-fitted and I love the subtle embellishments and your color choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
cnp71201
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007 08:49:09 PM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
gaucamolegreetings
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007 09:00:09 PM »

I love the color and embellishment close-up pic.  You did a great job on it, very neat stitches!  Mine would not be nearly as even, I know.  It's very flatterning on you.

BTW, if your username a reference to that Tank Girl movie?  On another board I'm on I've been catankgirl forever.  (CA cuz where I'm from.)  I loved that movie in college.  If that is not what your username means, ignore me.  lol

P. S.  I like your haircut too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007 09:02:41 PM »

That is a great sweater and it looks lovely on you. Doesn't Berroco have some wonderful patterns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
brit0602
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007 09:33:05 PM »

Great job!  I have to agree with everyone else here too that I love the front detailing!   I really like the yarn sub too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KNITTER'S GEEK CODE Grin
K C R +++ Exp+ Spm++ Bam+++ Addi> Cot+ Baa++ Lux+ Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin>+ Ent(soon) FI Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt++ Circ ML>+++ Swatch KIP++ EZ FO++ WIP+(+) GuageAll ALTX+Sp>+++
kdigggs
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007 06:33:01 AM »

wow!  that's really pretty--I love the little details--I also can't believe it's the first sweater you've made!  my first sweater is in a bag under my bed...not nearly as BEAUTIFUL as yours!!! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some women follow their dreams. Others mercilessly chase them down until they catch them.

http://kdigggs.blogspot.com/
patamon
the sleepy one

peek-a-boo!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007 08:58:12 AM »

That's a really nice sweater; I love the color you chose Smiley

Where in NH are you? I go to school in MA, but I'm from the Portsmouth area of NH. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jetgrrl
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007 01:24:33 PM »

Thanks everyone for the compliments! It took me a really long time to make the actual sweater because of various stops and starts (and a moderately small guage). I started in November and finished most of the knitting in March. Then it took me a while to assemble it and finally to fix the neckline.

I'm a bit scared, though... I've managed to slowly shrink every wool sweater I've bought, so I fear for the safety of my homemade one. Smiley

patamon, I live in Derry, not too far from Portsmouth. I love going to the old town area!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Individual Beef and Pork Meat Pies Recipe
Apple, Cinnamon and Pecan Tea Cake Recipe
Watertown Relish Radio Show
Watertown School Cooking Visit
Discovering Limburger Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...