A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Soda Pop Tab Purse  (Read 66295 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Linzpinz
« on: January 06, 2007 06:56:56 PM »

I made this about 6 months ago but I didn't have a camera to take pictures with until this christmas when I got my camera.  The hardest part of making the purse was collecting the tabs because there is never any soda in my house.  So I drove all of my friends crazy by pestering them for soda can tabs. Please comment!

^the lining

^close up of the outside

To make my purse I made 2 side panels that each have 7 rows of 25 pop-tabs. Then I have a long skinny piece that makes up the other 2 sides and the bottom and that has 2 rows of 65 pop-tabs. Then I have the handle that is 1 row of 41 pop-tabs. So my purse has 521 pop-tabs in it.

My Purse measures about 6 1/2 inches tall: 8 1/2 inchs long: 2 inches wide. 

If I were to change anything about how I made my purse I would have made the long piece that made the 2 skinny sides and the bottom also part of the handle so that it would be more sturdy.

Here is the tutorial that I promised. Sorry that there arn't any pictures my camera is being stupid right now.  If I can I will try to get some uploaded.  This is my first tutorial to write so sorry if it is to long or confusing. Feel free to ask questions if you don't understand something.

TUTORIAL:

You will need
-Ton's of poptabs
-yarn, string, ribbon, or something that you can used to thread the poptabs together
-a yarn needle makes it a butt load easier to get the yarn through the holes of the pop tabs
-scissors (to cut stuff, duh)

To make my pop-tab purse I basically made short pop-tab belts and then sewed them together to make sheets of pop-tabs which I then attached to each other to make a purse and then I sewed a lining out of some $1 fabric I found at Wal-Mart.

For the belts Im sure that you could use any of the versions that you can find but this is how I made them:

1.   Hold a pop-tab w/ the wrong side facing you and then put a tab w/ the right side facing you on top of that.  Then thread the yarn from back to front through the top hole of both tabs.

2.   Now scoot the tab on top over to the left so that it is only covering half of the bottom pop-tab. Place another tab (w/ the right side facing you) on top of the right half of the tab that has its wrong side facing you. Then bring the yarn diagonally down through the bottom hole of the tab you just picked up.  Then bring the yarn up through the bottom hole of the other tab that has its right side facing you. Do not pull the yarn through the tab with its wrong side facing you.

3.   Bring the yarn up diagonally and through the top hole of both the tab w/ its wrong side facing you and the tab that you picked up last.

4.   Pick up another tab and place it, with its wrong side facing you, under the tab on the right.  Then bring the yarn through the top holes of both the tab you just picked up and the tab that is on top of it.

5.   Then repeat steps 2-4 until you have the length that you want.  On one side of the belt it should form little xs across the whole thing, a little like this: x x x x x x x x
On the other side it should sort of form little dashed lines, a little like this: _  _  _  _  _  _
         _  _  _  _  _ 

To attach the belts together I just turned them all over so that the side that I did not want facing out when I was finished was facing me.  Then I just whipstiched (I dont know if this is the right word or not) the layer of tabs closest to me together.  Here is a picture to help show you what I mean:

The thick black line is the yarn. It is only going through the tabs that are purple in the picture which would be the ones closest to you.

I can't really help with the lining. All that I did was take all of the pieces when I was done and before I attached them to each other I took them and used them to make my self a pattern to use to sew the lining.

4/14/07- edited to add pictures and tutorial
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007 09:59:00 AM by Linzpinz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyPirateGirl

The Craftsters made me do it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007 11:29:08 PM »

Very cool!  That looks like it must have taken loads of time and patience.  Well done!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting apparel and gifts at www.CraftingShirts.com

You can see the rest of my web-based work at www.OuterMonologue.com and www.PiratesCloset.com.

*** Out of pocket for a while to move into our new house!  I'll try to check in periodically. : )  Ciao! ***
nilaa
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007 11:51:22 PM »

Really cool, and classy-looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linzpinz
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007 08:19:40 AM »

Thanks! It did take a long time, it took me about 6 months to get all of the tabs and about 3 months to make it. Of course I only worked on it maybe and hour a week until the last week or two when I was working on it nonstop trying to get it finished
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodi1978
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 09:24:55 AM »

Love it. But one question. How do you get the purple tabs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 09:34:19 AM »

That sounds like a lot of hard work, but it really shows! It's pretty amazing... I can't imagine spending so much time working with fiddly little soda tabs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*hailz*
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007 04:36:21 PM »

OMG! That is so freakin awesome... i was thinkin about making a top out of them but it would take so long to get them all. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sooper_nikki

i do everything Alton tells me to

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007 04:41:02 PM »

so cool! i want, i want!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheeky bastard
Linzpinz
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007 06:35:19 PM »

Jodi1978: the tabs arn't actually purple they just look like it from the lighting in my room, but that would be pretty nifty if they were!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodi1978
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007 09:04:28 PM »

I thought maybe spray paint or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Alison Larkin Talks About The English American
Meet Author Aryn Kyle
Happy For No Reason Book Trailer
Alan Katz Reveals His Previous Occupation
Douglas Florian Reads from Dinothesaurus
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...