A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Teaching children to crochet  (Read 3625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007 09:00:06 PM »

Actually, teaching to chain with fingers is a great way to start kids learning.  They don't have to have the dexterity yet to use the hook.  I learned that way, and both my little sis and I were quite young when we graduated to hooks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007 09:57:44 PM »

I learned at about 4, and same here, my mom had lots of chain necklaces!!! I was making barbie clothes by 5... I think using variagated yarns will help too... it helps you see your work a bit easier. You could also do a big hook and chunky yarn! I say if she wants to try go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
MendhiFae

Will crochet for coffee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007 10:04:56 PM »

Hey all, check out the article in the latest copy of Knit 1.  It discusses how teaching children to knit and crochet may help them in school as well as improving their fine motor skills. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain

javastain

Hello MC

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007 11:10:43 PM »

Hey all, check out the article in the latest copy of Knit 1.  It discusses how teaching children to knit and crochet may help them in school as well as improving their fine motor skills. 
I TOTALLY agree with this! I know that it helped me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
sugarhigh

passed out crafting.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007 11:56:24 PM »

okay, the greatest thing to learn on (i think, and my mom and i have taught all the little cousins as well) is a knitting mushroom. (althought it's more like crocheting than knitting) it's basically spool knitting, and it won't do much more than make long skinny tubes but i still think it's the best thing to start off on as a kid.
http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong/product.do?section_id=0&bc=1005&pgc=201&cm_mmc=Tagged-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA
^that is a great one from hearthsong, (which happens to be on sale i just noticed).
you can also make one from a spool i'm sure, just do a google search or something on "spool knitting" and you'll probably find a ton of tutorials.

hope that helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
therealgigantor

GIGANTOR SMASH YOUR CITYYYYYYY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007 04:53:10 AM »

Actually, teaching to chain with fingers is a great way to start kids learning.  They don't have to have the dexterity yet to use the hook.  I learned that way, and both my little sis and I were quite young when we graduated to hooks.

This is what I learned at a young age as well. It was less frustrating and I would do miles of chain while I watched TV etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007 07:21:34 AM »

My youngest son learned to chain at age 3, he can single crochet and half double now too (he's now 6.) My older 2 I have attempted to teach, and they say they want to, but can't seem to get into it. They are 7, and 10. So it depends on the child, and their true desire. My 2 oldest are a wiz at the sewing machine, and my youngest is a fabulous embroiderer. They all have different strengths and loves, so just find theirs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007 09:47:15 AM »

I gave him a Q
it fit in his hand, Ill go drag out what he made Smiley

waiting  not  so  patient ly to  see the  result!!  and  does  he  still do  needle  work at all??? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
janeausten
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007 04:18:56 PM »

im curious about how you do finger crocheting. i know how to do finger knitting but not crocheting.  do you just stick your index finger through the loop and pull the yarn through?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007 04:32:28 PM »

I remember that you just wrap the yarn loosely around your finger twice and then pull the inside loop over the outside loop.  That's the first stich of the chain. 

Now you just continue by wraping once so you have 2 loops on your finger and again pull the inside loop over the outside one. 

I do remember that once I got started with my long finger crocheted chain, I just reached inside the loop with my fingers to pull one loop through the other one and tightened it along the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back to School Beauty Buys
Learn to Apply Lipstick That Lasts All Night
Create Homemade Lip Stains In Your Kitchen
The Holiday-Ready Glitter Lip
Eye Makeup Tips for Asian Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...