A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,043
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help on sleeves  (Read 465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 21, 2007 11:04:36 AM »

Recently, I finished my first knitting project.  It was a very nice knitted tank.

It's lacking some things.  Like some freaking sleeves.  I'm a big lady, and my arms aren't exactly my favorite part of me.  So here's my plan:

1.  Get a button-down, nonstretchy shirt that I like the fit of in the arms.  Put on my sweatertank, trace around the edges at the arms, then cut the shirt to make a nice flat guide.

2. Draw out flower and leaf patterns on the sleeves.  These will be culled from my old crochet magazines and such.  These will also be doily patterns, because I don't want to add any extra thickness to the sleeves - I need to get my coat on over this!

3.  Draw out connecting lines.

4. Make the doilyflowers.  Pin them on.  Connect with lines of chain stitch.

5. Attatch the sleeves to the sweater body.

Here's my question:  Is this a bad idea?  I'm not too worried about ease; the shirt I'm using isn't stretchy fabric and fits me quite nicely, so there's plenty of easement.  But am I going to discover that thick-but-lacy fabric is a really nasty idea in the armpit area?  Will I find I can't lift my elbows?  Is there a better way to go about this?

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007 02:55:38 PM »

I don't know what yarn you're using, but I wouldn't recommend thick yarn for a doily pattern.  I have somewhat chubby arms, and open patterns tend to make them look chunkier. 

A simpler way might be to crochet a semicircle large enough to attach to the armholes like a cap sleeve, leaving about 2 inches free at the bottom of the armpit like a cap sleeve.  Then crochet the next round to include the 2 inches you left out; keep adding rounds, decreasing as necessary, until you get the length you want.  Or, you could crochet directly into the armhole edge; but this might cause bunching in the armpit. 

But it all depends on the shape of the tank, especially the armhole.  For instance, is the sleeve line set in, as opposed to squared off at the shoulders?  And, what kind of yarn did you use? 

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007 10:31:06 AM »

I guess I didn't explain it right...it's going to be a vastly oversized doily pattern.

The yarn is Blue Sky alpaca cotton.  Very nice, very soft.  For cotton, it fuzzes over quickly, so I think that you won't be able to see individual stitches in the giantdoilysleeves after a few washings. (As a sidenote - this was not the yarn to use for the body of a sweater.  I never knew cotton could pill at all, let alone so darned much).  It's a bit larger than worsted weight; I use an H hook with it.

The tank itself is a standard tank.  It looks like this:

Only it's yellow, soft, knitted, and covered in pills that eat at my soul.  I think it will be easy enough to adapt your idea to my mental image of doilies - it's pretty easy to wrap things like that into a tube, especially if you use little snowflakes to fill in the gaps here and there. I was mostly worried about how to do the shoulders, and now that you've explained it, I can see exactly how it should work.

And if it doesn't, cotton makes wonderful tinder.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tutu
How to Make a Weight Loss Scrapbook
How to Make a Woven Vase Out of a Soda Bottle
How to Make a Tissue-Box Cover
How to Make a Towel Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...