A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 303,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with a sewing pattern  (Read 1025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 06, 2007 12:02:54 AM »

Can someone please help me to clarify the instructions for sewing this bag.  This is my first real sewing project and I am very frustrated and lost.  Is there supposed to be a bottom bit to this bag?  I don't understand how the side bits work, since they are so much taller than the bag front pattern are they supposed to fold over?  Why does it have the center fold thing written on it?  Please help!!!!

Here is the pattern:

searching for inspiration in everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007 06:54:29 AM »

I can't read the directions (too fuzzy) so take this observation with a grain of salt!

I *think* the bottom and sides are one long gussett piece.  You would take the two side panels and sew on the long gusset (inside out) creating the side and bottom structure.  Then fold right side out again.

Gosh, I think the foldover is to hide the raw edges since I don't see instructions for a liner.  Hhhhmmmmmmm, now I am confused, too!

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007 05:03:30 PM »

mebsmommy is right. The gusset is one long piece. You need to place that bottom edge of the gusset pattern section onto the fold of your fabric so that you end up with a piece of faric that is double the length of that shown on the pattern.

It looks like they use bias binding to cover the top raw edges of the purse.

To get the lining you need to cut 2 of the bag section pattern. Looks like they are just using this section of the pattern as the lining and not including the gusset in the lining.

Does this help?

Is this

Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007 12:46:33 PM »

On the bag pattern, the cutting instructions read -

Bag Strap:  Cut 1 piece
Bag Front & Back:  Cut 2 fabric pieces
                           Cut 2 lining pieces
                           Cut 2 interfacing pieces
Bag Gusset Lining:  Cut 1 piece

The bag gusset instructions should read:

Cut 1 fabric piece
Cut 1 lining piece
(& probably 1 interfacing)
As mentioned by mebsmommy and sarah, you place the pattern piece with the small arrows against the fold of your fabric.

The gusset lining is mentioned in the general sewing instructions.

The bag and lining are constructed separately and the top seam allowances folded over to the wrong side, then the lining is placed inside the bag, wrong sides together. The strap is sandwiched between the layers and the bag is topstitched along the top edge.

The front binding is an extra strip that is used to catch the feathers.

Hope this helps.

And hopefully, that's the last edit! - kept finding errors after I posted, lol 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007 01:02:33 PM by CatieD » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like word games, try Babble.  www.playbabble.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007 03:27:04 PM »

Thank you guys, I am sorry I am a bit slow, ha ha.  But this is my first sewing project. I'm still having trouble with the gusset bit.  It isn't long enough to go all the way around so I'm guessing that I have to start it in the middle of the bottom of the side piece and then fold down some of the side piece so it is in line with the gusset?  Ahhhhhh. I am so frustrated with this I wish I hadn't ever started! I've cut the pieces out and have all my sewing crap all over the kitchen table.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007 11:03:45 PM »

I just printed out the pattern and enlarged it 200% to have a closer look at it for you, kmenday.  I'm really sorry that I didn't do it earlier to save you all the headaches. Sad       That gusset is way too short!

If you have enough material, I'd suggest cutting through the gusset and gusset lining at the fold and adding in enough length so that all the edges meet at the top.  The piece you add in won't be noticeable because it will be underneath the purse.  If you decide to do it this way, don't forget that you'll have to add seam allowances to all the cut edges, otherwise your gusset will end up too short again. 

If you like word games, try Babble.  www.playbabble.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007 05:25:52 PM »

thanks for that :-)  I ended up starting all over and doing my own pattern which ended up not as cute but with less of a headache  Roll Eyes 

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007 11:11:49 PM »

I just finished making my own pattern for a bag VERY similar.  What I did to get my pattern was roughly measure around the bag piece to get a gusset measurement.  I then made the gusset pattern.  Then when I went to sew it, I simply pinned the gusset to the bag from the centre of both pieces so that the shaped gusset would be even.  That way, if there was any excess gusset, I could simply cut it off.

Hope this makes sense.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Victoria Wilson on Legendary Actress Barbara Stanwyck
An Extended Look at a Great Game: Hockey
Crash And Burn by Artie Lange
Ernest Cline on Giving Away a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor
Victoria Wilson: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...