A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
730 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thinking of making my wedding dress...  (Read 1364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katherine83
Crafter-ific!!!

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2007 01:11:20 PM »

... or having someone more skilled do it for me. I'm not the best sewer but I think with some time and patience I could do it. I am recently engaged and we're thinking August 2008 for the wedding (so I have tons of time to decide whether I want to make it or if I can find a reasonably priced dress). I've been looking at wedding websites and have found this dress which I love:

Here are a couple more photos:

Has anyone come across any patterns similar to this style dress? If so, please let me know. I would never be able to afford this actual dress (its by Romona Keveza).

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ain't here to break it...
just see how far it will bend.
peariso
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007 01:40:12 PM »

First off.... Congrats on the engagement. 

I do have one word of caution for you.  Go and try on a dress similar to this one, if not this dress.  Even if you can't afford it.  You may see things that you may not like about the dress when it is on you. 

I had an image in my head as to what was my perfect dress and when i tried it on it was bad news.  Similar things have happened to my girlfriends. 

K that is out.  I would totally recommend that you make your dress though.  That way it is completly personal to you and you can take all of the lovely things from many different dresses and make it into one customized dress.  That is perfect for you.

Have fun!  and again Congrats
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
april_cocaine
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007 04:11:06 PM »

I totally recommend making your own dress, or having someone do it for you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pokeedog

Quilt, Cook, Gocco, Clothes and Home

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007 11:20:15 AM »

You should be able to find a good seamstress to put it together and have it fit perfectly. One of your biggest challenges is going to be getting the right fabric. The bridal section in most fabric stores sucks, it's you're lucky if you get 10 different choices.

For my wedding, my mother and I are meeting in NYC in June to purchase fabric, because there's not a huge or unusual selection in the fabric stores near where we live (my Mom lives in Regina, SK and I live in Austin, TX). If you live near a major city, you may have better luck (LA, NYC, Chicago, etc.).

You may be able to find some cool stuff online though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparkly
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007 05:19:29 AM »

i agree about the fabric store thing; if you're not in a big city, i'd opt for online stores that can send some swatches, unless shiny polyester is your thing.  Smiley

if you can afford it, and you don't love to sew, hire someone local to make it. i imagine it would still be cheaper (and better looking) than a store bought thing.

regarding that particular dress, did you try the mccall's or butterick sites? it's a pretty dress, but i fear one would have to be VERY thin to pull off that low waist without looking sausagey. you could always bring it up a few inches if you're worried about that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katherine83
Crafter-ific!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007 09:05:50 AM »

Thanks everyone... I think I'll try on some dresses similar in style to see if this is the dress I really want (before going through the trouble of finding a pattern and buying fabric etc).

I'll try not to procrastinate and keep posting updates.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ain't here to break it...
just see how far it will bend.
sterlinggurl
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007 10:48:05 AM »

I totally recommend making your own dress, or having someone do it for you.

I agree wholeheartedly... I helped make my dress along with a freind that has CRAZEEE skills... and we made for $500 a dress that would sell for at least $5000... May I suggest BJ fabrics online? This is one of the BEST places for fabu fabrics at a decent price....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will do personal swaps!! Beads, findings, etc
lilgothkatt
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007 01:12:02 AM »

your lucky you found a style you like. I'm not having ANY luck and my wedding is next janurary. If I can just figure out what it should look like I'll be making it myself. good luck with your dress and congrats on the engagement
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonkeys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
yellowladybug
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007 01:28:05 AM »

Congratulations!  I was browsing through patterns after I read this and came across this one:  http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5319.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=1
The top of view B looks like it has the same type of gathering on the bodice, you could probably taper the wider straps and do away with the cross over neckline of the pattern to look more like the beautiful inspiration dress.  Just to give you a jumping off point... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wists-http://www.wists.com/yellowladybug
sparkly
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007 06:35:02 AM »

lilgothkatt, do you have any ideas of what you'd like to find? (e.g., vintage, long, short, sleeves, etc). even what size/shape you are could be helpful, since sometimes a dress looks great, but might not flatter your particular figure.  i spent a long time perusing the internet for patterns and details for my own dress, so perhaps we could be of help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Design Strategist Builds Creative Skills
What Makes Product Design Work Meaningful
Design Week Columbus 2012
Waterfall Swing Designed in Brooklyn
Creating the Art of Pe Lang with Machines
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...