A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 198152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kerantli
« Reply #1440 on: July 03, 2013 11:30:39 AM »

A bit of background;

I make notebooks from scratch, so have one of those nifty metal rulers that apparently have very sharp edges, as I found out when I was so into what I was doing, picked up the ruler and caught the side of my finger on the edges.
Even worse thing about it? I didn't even realise until I felt something sticky on the ruler, and looked around to see what it was and found my finger bleeding.
I have a faint scar on the finger, and my Mr will still bring it up even now.

And I just remembered another one!

Also during making a notebook (the exact same one as the ruler incident) I had to use my Stanley knife (I think it's the same as an xacto knife) to trim off some pages that weren't the same size as the rest of the signatures. Me being me, managed to slice off a finger tip on my left hand, leaving me to go "Oh, that feels funny!" every time I used my left hand for anything for a week. (I'm left handed, so it made doing quite a lot difficult)

Though, I also stab myself with needles - dull cross stitch ones, embroidery ones and my two special leather working needles that I use to stab through smaller holes that my Awl won't widen - which is another thing I stab myself with frequently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 05, 2013 10:45:27 AM »

Yikes! I know your pain, DancinInTheDark. I have a cut on the pad of my right thumb right now from an Xacto knife. I've been using them for years but at least once a year, I slice myself good.

And just a minute ago, I hot glued my left index finger to a project I'm working on. It was a HIGH heat glue burn too. The good thing is I managed to glue it to part of my nail. My nail is still intact, thankfully, but it's very red on the edge where the glue made contact.
Ouch! Those knives can really do some damage.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
snailscale
« Reply #1442 on: August 15, 2013 11:00:37 PM »

Luckily, my over-cautiousness has kept me from getting any serious craft-related injuries, but I've been really into making things out of duct tape, so my fingers have been feeling really raw and sore. I ended up making two makeshift thimbles out of duct tape to try to avoid this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FreakieGeekie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1443 on: August 16, 2013 12:05:22 AM »

I sewed a Poppet's ear to my finger just a moment ago. Not to worry: I'm sewing it together by hand and only stitched it to the outermost layer of skin. But it did hurt when I pulled it off. I need to find my thimble so this doesn't happen any more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WeeFreeRhie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1444 on: September 20, 2013 07:10:18 PM »

I once superglued my fingers to my boyfriend-at-the-time's cat. Neither one were terribly impressed. The cat is a Person/Manx/Russian Blue fluffball, too.

The worst injury was one because of crafting, but not directly from it. I had some project laid out on the counter to iron. I had just gotten an extremely hot cup of water out of the microwave for tea. I put it down at the edge of the counter, away from the project. I reached over to get a tea bag, and the cup went end over end and splashed super-boiled water onto my foot. It took me 10 seconds to remember to take off my sock, and another 30 to run it under cold water. I had a MASSIVE horseshoe crab burn on my foot for three weeks. I still have a scar.

Now I am sure to keep craft projects away from where I have the food and drink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippie-ki-yay FELLOW CRAFTERS! Cheesy
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: October 09, 2013 10:08:15 AM »

The other day I put down a swap item and manged to stab myself with the needle. Thank goodness nothing got on my partner's item!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
jnicodemus
« Reply #1446 on: February 05, 2014 05:48:06 AM »

Of course it was late at night and I totally know better: I was working on a project for my husband who is in Occupational Therapy school and needed a sensory kit asap.  So I used our table saw - no need to cringe, that's not where I got injured! - cut up a bunch of one inch sticks thinking the whole time "I'm gonna lose a finger, I'm gonna lose a finger, I'm gonna lose a finger".  Safely completed phase one with all fingers whole and still in working order.  Phase two began when I started to cut fabric into 3x4 inch rectangles - also not where I got injured - and then began hot gluing.  First I burned the crap out of my ring finger with the hot glue.  Then while working to cut the sponge part off of a scrubby, and after thinking "I'm really tired, I should stop before I get hurt again; or at least use a smaller knife" I totally sliced right into my pointer and middle finger tips.  So now I have three band-aids on the finger tips of my left hand.  The injuries were worth it though as the project turned out perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RKEM
« Reply #1447 on: February 07, 2014 11:21:06 AM »

Not an accident but maybe the most awkward situation ever. I'm making a silicone mold for a small piece. Being lazy I didn't build a rig to hold my piece inside the silicone while it cures, thinking I could just hold it there for 20 minutes (not going to do that again) ... after about 10 minutes, I start sniffling only to realize that I've got a massive nosebleed ... inside my breathing mask. I'm wearing goggles, bulky gloves, I can't let go of my tiny cup with the silicone and anything to catch the blood is very far away. Suffice to say this was quite a contortion effort ... and freaked out the s.o. when he came in. However, the mold appears to have cured properly.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RKEM
« Reply #1448 on: February 19, 2014 07:03:00 AM »

And another accident. After some 10 hours of crafting, it's 2 AM, I decide to go out on the balcony to spray some primer on a piece. Being lazy I just grab the first pair of shoes I have and head out on the cold, snow covered balcony. I spray, grab my gizmo, my can of primer and head inside. As my snow covered shoe made contact with the warm air, the snow turned into water. So With both hands busy I try to enter the apartment, my foot slips forward and I go flying, landing on the threshold between the balcony and the apartment. According to the s.o. I was out for a few seconds ... I personally just remember falling and then being on the floor. Two days on I feel as though I've been hit in the back with a 2 x 4.  Roll Eyes

Note to self: wear winter boots when going out in the snow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
casmir

Bobbilicious on ravelry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1449 on: May 17, 2014 05:28:49 AM »

I spent a good portion of this past winter knitting a beaded stole and using a super tiny crochet hook to put the beads on the yarn. We adopted a kitten in November and much of my winter was taking him off of places that are not his to play on, like my crafty spot (my chair and its surroundings). Well, I was watching the ice dancing in the Olympics and kitty was getting nosy so I swatted him off and wound up, somehow, with the crochet hook going through my finger, just grazing my knuckle. I freaked a bit and asked my son to call my MIL for a ride to the emergency room - the hook made it unable to pull back out. I spent a couple of hours being a freak at the hospital with a hook in my finger. Everyone came to see! I finished my stole, though (I told the nurse that I had to have the hook back), and it's lovely. My finger still hurts but is getting better.
My son said that when he saw me crying he thought it was because of the ice dancing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Walk in High Heeled Slingbacks
Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams Give Us Two Takes on the LBD
Jessica Stam Talks About Her Summer Style at the Coach Party
3 Cool Ways to Wear Printed Floral Jeans
Top 5 Swimsuit Trends for Summer 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...