A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 146
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 199387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tecs

am I fertile today?

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 18, 2005 09:51:07 AM »

My mother, as a child, saw her horse and her cousin get hit by lightening on two different occasions.

There were burn holes in the top of the boy's hat and out through the bottom of both boots.

Don't ya know that'd like to make you want to stay the heck away from lightening, partner.

Tecs (Tex)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FrozenDisco
« Reply #421 on: June 18, 2005 10:53:11 PM »

I have a bad habit of leaving my xstitching needles in the arm of my couch, my sister leaned back on one and got stabbed in the head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Disco is not dead, it's just frozen for a while.
chloe_hippy
« Reply #422 on: June 22, 2005 11:16:19 AM »

hi, this is not really my accident, nor it is it really craft related, but here goes

my friend Tasha is extremely clumsy and when she was a kid (like 12 or 13) she was skating and she fell, backwards, onto the skate blade, she had to get 7 stitches in her bum  Embarrassed

another time we were working on a school project and we were building teepee's out of birch bark, and we were using the hot glue gun, well i had set it down and she went downstairs to get a drink, when she came back up she sat on it, and glued it to her bum. then about 10 minutes later i dropped it on my leg and successfully glued myself together  Grin Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dire female

holy salmon spawning in the river!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: June 22, 2005 06:25:35 PM »

Well I've had the stereotypical crafting injuries.  Namely many many glue gun burns, the occasional iron burn, poking my digits with the odd needle or pin numerous times.  Then there are the more stupid ones.  After sewing for like 10 hours at a machine and getting a little sloppy I ran over my finger with the presser foot.  Didn't end up sewing myself in or anything so horrid.  Just got one of those awful bruises you get on your nails that take months to go away.  Then there was stapling myself a couple times when stapling leaves on a unitard for a costume I was making for a show.  Very fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilkins
« Reply #424 on: June 23, 2005 09:51:06 AM »

My friend insists that when i say "i'm having fun", it's code-speak for "i'm trying to sever my own arm".

just the other evening, i was cutting out pieces of card-stock to make a chinese take out box (because i was bored) and i couldn't find my carpet knife i normally use. i called my wonderful friend (see above) and she offered to come over with her xacto knives.

well, i couldn't wait for her to get there to continue. i looked around and you know what i *did* find? i found the *replacement* blades for my carpet knife. (super-sharp double-edge razors). i awkwardly hold the blades and begin cutting the pieces.

my friend shows up and decides to surprise me by just walking into the apartment. (i am alone and cute, therefore jumpy.) my hand slips, one side of the razor wings across four fingers, the other side digs into my palm. double the fun!

after ascertaining that the injuries did not need stitches, i chased her about with my bloody, mangled hand.

here's the funny part -- i was cutting matboard to make journals last night and pretty much do the same thing. i'm running out of flesh.

not crafty, but painful: another friend of mine decides to teach me jow to weld by having me weld the side mirror back on his truck. at one point, my sockless sneakered foot is directly below where i'm welding. this is also the same time a great big piece of welding slag (read: gooey lump of white-hot metal) drops off the mirror mount. lands just *inside* my shoe, next to my ankle. yeah, the er doctor that peeled my shoe off thought it was funny, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #425 on: June 23, 2005 08:34:27 PM »

My husband and his friend's have learnt not to stand too close to a particular friend if there is any storms around, he has been struck twice at different sporting events.  They also say that the safest place to be is running around a soccer field instead of standing by the side line watching the game.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #426 on: June 24, 2005 09:22:08 AM »

Well, I always poke myself with handsewing needles, and there is a mark on my forearm from being stupid with an iron, but my favorite is when I ran a sewing machine needle through my finger...twice! I was sewing seams and seams and seams in a cramped space and accidentally got my finger under the needle, and at the same time pushed down really hard on the pedal son the needle went through my finger, broke off and started to go in again. I am usually very calm in these situations, but learning from the past I yelled really loud for my brother (usually I don't yell then nobody thinks anything is wrong). I came running but was more grossed out then I was so I had to unscrew the needle from the machine. My brother called our mom and all I heard was my brother saying "NO I'M NOT GOING TO DO THAT!" (She told him to take out the needle). Anyway my mom called a Doctor that she knew and we went in. The receptionist lady said "OH my! I don't know if there is anything we can do about that!" She was wrong, the doctor pulled out the needle and kept on asking me if I wanted to lie down, I said "no I just don't want to watch you pull it out." She pulled it out reminding me that it wasn't going to hurt anymore than when it went in, and luckily it wasn't a fishing hook or any other needle/hook with a barb, because that would have been more challenging. I only wish I had taken a picture.

Thanks for letting me tell my story, I now teach an intro sewing class and can never tell my students because they get all freaked out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Neverland
« Reply #427 on: June 24, 2005 11:09:18 AM »

Ya buncha BOTCHES Cheesy
I luve tat word LOLOLOLO!!!111  Grin Grin Grin Grin
BIOTCHES
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sporkx71

Like anything I made? http://sporkx71.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #428 on: June 24, 2005 12:16:53 PM »

well this happened to my friend...we were going to do some stenciling and she went to get the very rusty exacto knife from the bathroom cabinet (dont ask me why it was there). well she got it out and dropped it. straight through her foot and into the floor. she's very queezy so she threw up when she saw her foot nailed to the floor. she wouldnt let me pull it out so she waited, nailed to the floor, while i called 911. she ended up getting a tetnus shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like anything I've made? BUY it here: http://sporkx71.etsy.com
genawena
« Reply #429 on: June 24, 2005 05:41:40 PM »

I think this thread actually serves a public service!

Wouldn't it be a fine basis to teach a "Safety in Crafting" course, for adults, or a summer class for children. The teacher could print out examples from this thread and ask pupils what could have been done to prevent a particular injury mentioned.

Not to insult any crafter here, as I have done most of these myself! *lol*...and it usually isn't a matter of skill, sometimes over focus, over enthusiasm, sometimes fatigue, or a fun obsession to get a project done, but of course these can also lead to an emergency room visit. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 146 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create the 3 Best Hairstyles For Fine Hair
How to Go from Long to Short Hair
What Are the Best Layered Haircuts For Thin Hair?
What Are the 2 Best Haircuts With Side Bangs?
What Are the 4 Best Haircuts For Long Hair?
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...