A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 146
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 198272 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antijamsect

bb foxy and me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1350 on: November 24, 2008 07:37:45 PM »

i sewed my finger in the sewing machine tonight making the tail for a sock monkey. it broke the needle in 3 pieces! i'm glad none of them got stuck in my finger. my first sewing injury.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cinnam0n_spider
« Reply #1351 on: November 25, 2008 04:17:26 AM »

Omg this makes me scared. I'm so scared of doing this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Megzy818
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happily married to my best friend

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1352 on: November 30, 2008 05:03:18 PM »

that looks gross, but cool, i'm weird i know lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud ARMY brat and NAVY Wife!!! 08/05/08
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1414000172&ref=profile
Hippos are my favorite Smiley
hooksforfeet
« Reply #1353 on: December 02, 2008 10:43:06 PM »

Last week I was weaving a bracelet with seed beads and regular sewing thread. When the needle didnt fit through the beads, I would just...pull it through using my teeth.

Now, I have a needle shaped chip in my top front tooth, and a little chip out of my bottom front tooth. It's not really noticeable or anything, but the $300 deficit in my bank account is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
instantk4rma

Junior mycologists have questionable morels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1354 on: December 18, 2008 12:23:54 AM »

Let's see here. I've done the old "sewing machine needle through the finger" one... several rounds with a hot glue gun. A few shots at myself with the iron..

I think the best one was using an exacto to try and carve a piece of wood into a rosary for someone ._. Whups. It was going okay, but then the knife slipped when the wood broke, and went about half an inch into my index finger. I bled EVERYWHERE. I still have a scar Sad

I also got a nice scar while gardening. I tripped over one of my plant boxes and stubbed my toe... hard enough that I took off the entire tip of it. It was painful enough that I ended up blacking out on the couch after I got inside. Pretty bad.

I also cut a nice deep piece out of my middle finger with a pair of titanium scissors cutting snowflakes for winter at my old job.

I think most of my craft-related injuries are usually from sewing needles though. I can not get through 5 minutes of a project without stabbing myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Broadwaybabe1307
« Reply #1355 on: December 18, 2008 07:28:49 PM »

Theres two major ones I can really think of... one was a normal machine catches my finger (it was my thumb while i was changing a machine foot and forgot to turn the machine off like I normally do)... but the other one was really weird...

It didn't happen while sewing... but a hand needle was on my bed for some reason (I hadn't used one in a while AND I had just completely remade the bed).  The next morning, I went to push myself up with my elbow to get out of bed, and the next thing you know, I've got a needle a little in my elbow... right through a nerve and hitting and scratching at my bone.  I didn't even know what happened til 5 minutes later I got up and saw the needle in my arm and nearly fainted.  Thats some scary stuff there, when your elbow clicks and kills if you try moving your arm and you can see what's wrong...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erisraven
« Reply #1356 on: December 22, 2008 01:48:40 PM »

All right. I've now read this thread from beginning to end. When I hit page 5 or 6 I joined Craftster, because I obviously had found a home. (I wonder just how many of us did exactly that?)

Of course, I've done all the usual bits. Hot glue guns, pins, needles, even the evil sewing machine.

But the worst, and in retrospect funniest, injury I ever did to myself was when I was working on a dollhouse.
I'd finished constructing the main frame of the house. I was using a hot glue gun to attach the windowsills. When I'd finished with it, I realized the hot glue had dripped down the outside of the house, leaving stripes on the lovely apricot paint. Not one to be intimidated by potential disaster, I picked up the exacto blade I'd been using to trim edges with, and began turning the house (it was a small one) around quickly, using the exacto to cut the stripes of glue off. This worked great, until I made it back around to the start and noticed that the lower half of that side was covered in red paint. Red? I wasn't using red. In fact, the floor had some red too. I put down the house and the blade, which also had a share, and began to get a clue.

I looked at my hands.
Apparently, when I'd trimmed the first bit of glue, I'd slashed the new exacto blade through my left ring finger just below the last joint. And it was bleeding like crazy. Everywhere. I remember looking at my finger and thinking, "Oh look, that's what my fingerbone looks like..."
I got up and headed to the bathroom in the flat, but i was a little dizzy. (Did I mention a lot of blood?)
After catching myself on the wall a few times, I rinsed the finger in the sink, plopped some neosporin in, and wrapped it tightly with a BandAid. I then went to the bedroom and passed out cold.

A few hours later I wake to a scream.
My boyfriend of the time had apparently tried to call home and I'd slept through the ring. He got home and the first wall that faces the door is the long blank white wall to the bathroom - covered in bloody handprints (where I'd braced myself, of course with the hand that was bleeding). The bathroom is all white porcelain, and it's got blood everywhere. And the living room had a trail too. My feeble meep from the bedroom was not reassuring, and after my explanation I was forced to SWEAR never to use an exacto again unless he was home.

I wish I'd gotten pictures of the place though. After I got up again, I saw what he meant. The house looked like the staging ground for a slasher flick!

I still have a long white scar that runs from the top of my finger all the way around. and while it healed up amazingly well without stitches, I still can't feel the tip of that finger very well. It moves fine, though.

erisraven
who's glad her crafts are less dangerous than some. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amybarnett
« Reply #1357 on: December 22, 2008 09:41:53 PM »

wow, that is an awesome story. I am not obsessed with blood but I would have liked to see the pics on that, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riotdoll86
« Reply #1358 on: January 01, 2009 09:35:15 PM »

so i was making a little quilt for my daughter when the phone rings and it's my girlfriend telling my that my daughter was playing in cat poop i still had the  rotary cutter in my hand as i'm yelling wtf and at that point i felt a throbbing pain well i cut half of my thumb nail off the other half was slided into 2 pieces that were just stuck there
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crankydinosaur
« Reply #1359 on: January 14, 2009 06:04:11 AM »

I'm pretty much amazed I'm still alive with all the pin pricks, cuts, hot glue burns, getting things on my skin i probably shouldn't, and just general klutziness.

my best was probably when i was attempting to put a bolt of craft paper on my cutter and my finger ended up between the paper and the bar. I had a nice gash on my finger for like 3-4 weeks.

-Richie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 146 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Wine Cork X and O Stamps
How to Make a Valentine’s Jewelry Bag
How to Make Scrapbooks with Leeza Gibbons
Martha Stewart Makes Candlesticks with Josh Duhamel
How to Create Monster Salt Crystals
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...