A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 308,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
311 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 147
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 264927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

akgrl33
« Reply #300 on: February 16, 2005 04:08:05 PM »

I'm a cross stitcher at my big boo boo was I jumped off my bed one day and discovered a needle that was hiding on my floor.  Unfortunatly I found it by it going ALL THE WAY THROUGH MY FOOT!!!!  Fortunatly no damage done, except to my check book. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Talon
« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2005 07:58:01 PM »

All these horror stories make me very, very glad that all I've had to deal with so far are a few X-acto knife cuts and some plier-pinched fingers.  (They also make me want to start wearing safety glasses, a crash helmet, and thick leather gloves AT ALL TIMES.)  So, since I have no interesting wound stories of my own, I'll share one of my father's:

My dad makes baskets in the traditional Native American style, starting with a tree and working from there.  Once he's down to strips of wood that are the correct weaving size, he shaves off the stray splintery bits with a knife.  He does this by laying the wood on his leg, holding the blade on it, and drawing the wood towards himself.  One day (inevitably) he was doing this and a massive splinter went into his thigh.  The rest of the family wasn't home so he had to call a neighbor to take him to the emergency room.  It turned out that he'd managed to pull six inches of wood into his leg.   Shocked  He was a lot more careful after that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunnybucket

Dorky McDork and the Dork Patrol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: February 21, 2005 07:48:01 PM »

during the summer i was shopping at wal-mart (i was buying crafty stuff, see that's how this is relevent, hehe)  and i was wearing flip flops.  and somehow my middle toe got caught in the cart where the wheel is.  it hurt really bad but i just kept going, then i felt something sticky on my foot, it was blood.  i went in the bathroom and washed my foot off, and realized that the tip of my toe was gone.  i almost passed out.  it was pretty bad.

ACk!  I seriously did that EXACT same thing, only it just happened last week.  It really hurt, but I didn't think anything of it until I felt the sticky- just like you!  NOT COOL!  Those carts are the DEVIL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunnybucket

Dorky McDork and the Dork Patrol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: February 21, 2005 08:05:00 PM »

I've gotten some REALLY wicked glue gun burns...whoever had the brilliant idea that 1st graders should make rag dolls was on something, I swear... 
One time I was using stitch witchery and using the bed as an ironing board...I leaned to grab something, the iron fell on my calf and it totally blistered.
A few months ago I was using a brand new xacto knife and I cut my finger.  I started shaking my hand because it hurt so much, and then I realized it was a REALLY bad cut so I wrapped it up in a paper towel and drove myself to the ER, where I got stitches.  When I got home, I saw blood splatters on the wall and the couch from my hand shaking.  Whoops!
I HATE beading needles.  I used to do a lot of loom work, and I can't tell you how many times I got a needle shoved under my fingernail...OH MY GOSH, that is the most EXTREME pain! 
My most disgusting, but least painful craft mishap was when I got a really long beading needle stuck in my leg.  I sat cross legged on the floor and when I did, a needle went into my calf.  It didn't hurt, but it was about two inches into my leg.  I got this weird electric shock feeling all the way through my body.  I didn't even realize that it had happened...  It was hard to pull out, and way gross...but not painful.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 22, 2005 09:53:05 AM »

OMG!! Some of these are making me cringe! Hey Talon...Your Dad needs a leather apron to keep those bad splinters out of his lap!
The only time I really did anything bad to myself, which also goes in the "stupid" category, was when I was around 15 or 16. I had this candle I had made in my grade school yrs. (You know....take a school milk carton, then the teacher would pour diff. colored wax in for you. Nity rainbow effect.), and I got the brilliant idea that I wanted to make shavings from it and do something artsy w/ the wax shavings. Well...I was using this jack knife...and was drawing the thing towards me, instead of AWAY!! Didn't the knife slip and slash my thumb!I had a good inch-an-a-half gash. Amazingly, it didn't need stitches, and sicne the blade was so sharp, I had a very clean cut. If you look at my thumb, you can't tell at all. I suppose if I made a thumbprint, you'd be able to see a hairline scar right thru my print.
Other than that, I'm always pricking my fingers w/ needles and pins while I sew. And I've cut the webbing b/t my fingers numerous times while cutting my boys' hair. (That's crafty, isn't it??  Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madamedefarge
« Reply #305 on: February 23, 2005 05:31:02 PM »

I feel whiny complaining after everything you guys have been through, but what happened to me today is such a stupid craft-related injury I just have to share. 

I bought a whole bunch of new yarn today.  I was so excited.  Then when I was going through all of it when I got home, I managed to give myself a pretty nasty papercut on one of the yarn labels.  And I thought I picked a SAFE craft Roll Eyes (although some of the knittng needle/crochet hook impalement stories I've read on here made me think otherwise...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lokimama

No one is going to stop me next Saturday

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 24, 2005 10:25:12 AM »

I got this weird electric shock feeling all the way through my body. 

My brother calls that 'doing the bacon dance'.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DontEatCrayons
Just Fabulous Darling

crafty embroideress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2005 12:27:54 PM »

I'm a brand new to the craft scene and reading about all these injuries is kind of scary.  I don't have any real craft related injuries, but when i was seven or eight i put a plastic bead (i think it was blue) up my nose during nap time at daycare.  The lady thought i was saying i had a bee up my nose.  I ended up in the hospital.  That was great.  They made me inhale nasty banana flavored gas to go to sleep.  I don't use beads anymore.  Nor do i eat bananas.

sadly, this is not crafty but i thought it would amuse you anyways. my dad did something similar to this when he was a boy. he thought it would be v. amusing to stick a pea up his nose (i have yet to discover WHY all little boys do this) and in his attempts to get it out again only pushed it further up. so then he stuck a cocktail stick up his nose aswell. to no avail, that just got stuck aswell. next? a teaspoon. and they wonder why im strange
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yosei
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2005 03:53:48 PM »

I forgot my most ironic craft-related injury ever.  I got a black eye from a pair of *safety goggles*!  Apparently the elastic strap on them got caught on my ponytail, causing them to snap back and whack me in the face when I tried to remove them.  It doesn't get much worse than injuring yourself with the very safety equipment that was supposed to prevent the injury in the first place!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xXact_my_ageXx
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2005 09:25:52 PM »

wow i guess i'm pretty lucky, in my room i have open saftey pins lying everywhere on the floor and sewing needles and other pointy objects i also lost an exacto knife recently and i can't find it for anything, but i have never stepped on any of these things but other people that come into my room always seem to get hurt. some of my injuries have been stabbing the end of my finger with an exacto knife, another was when me and my friend were trying to fix a porcelin figurine with a hot glue stick and a lighter....bad idea.... a big glob of it fell onto my knuckle. i think the worse i have had was when my mom was wrapping something and had the scissors on the floor open and i went and slid on the floor next to her and ended up haveing a pair of scissors imbedded into my knee i had to get stitches and they strapped me down to the table o_O and i always seem to get my hair caught in duct tape  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 147 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...