A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 316,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 147
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 265265 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firepixie
ska-gypsy, my favorite colors are jingly and checkerboard

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2004 08:00:42 PM »

Well lets just say, dont iron angry......
this isnt ER bad.....but ive got a 5 sq inch scar on my stomach from ironing, my shirt for some reason didnt cover  my stomach, well i got very irritated with a pleat and my mother was hovering  trying to tell me how to do it...  i turned around fast with the iron still in my hand and managed to keep a srtaight face while telling her to go away, and feeling my stomach get severly burned by the iron

i feel so petty compared to some of these injurys

firepixie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

once upon a time in the land of flowers and rhyme and living was easy with eyes wide open a young girl flew all about the world shutting her eyes and smiling for no reason- Jke "the lost poet" johnson
Parilla
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2004 04:04:15 PM »

I'm a really sloppy person, so my bedroom floor is a tangle of yarn.  One morning I had to get up earlier than usual for a field trip, and it was still dark.  I stepped out of bed, shuffled a few steps, and some yarn got wrapped around one of my toes.  I lifted my foot up quickly, because I was startled and not thinking - and my other foot was firmly on the yarn.  The end result was that I disjointed the middle toe of my right foot.

It hurt so much that I went into this cold, calm state.  I turned off my alarm, turned on my light, sat down, and popped it back in place. It made this horrible noise, just like when you pop a chicken leg and thigh apart.  I was too embarassed to tell anyone what happened, and its not like they do anything for broken toes at the ER, so I just taped it to my other toes, put on some steel-toed work boots, and went off on my field trip.  I spent the day climbing up and down rocks (I'm a Geology student).  In retrospect, I'm lucky; I guess I didn't really tear anything, because the toe healed up fine, even if it is a little crooked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flower
« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2004 12:38:41 PM »

When I was a kid, my mom was using an industrial sewing machine to repair heavy, old fashioned tent canvas.  Somehow, she managed to run the sewing machine needle completely through her thumbnail.  I'm not sure how deep it went beyond that.  All I know is that I had never heard her scream like that, nor since then.  She's given birth to seven kids, but I bet she'd say that the needle was worse.  Ouch.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004 12:41:51 PM by Roseiey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2004 01:07:44 PM »

Just wondering- how many of you have gone down the path of repetitively stabbing yourself with a felting needle? I, being the intellect that i am, talked to my funniest friend whilst needle felting for the first time ever. 2 minutes later, my thumb was covered in pinpricks of red. Including one very large one under my thumbnail. That bled for hours. Im sure I am not the only one, as they are some sharp needles.
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
Mewf
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2004 03:39:51 PM »

In my high school apparel class, there were two ironing boards for about.. oh, twenty five girls who were all making quilts. (Advanced Apparel= Quilting Class) Because of the lack of irons, and the obvious need of 'em, we'd often share the board, taking turns with the iron. This one girl and I were passing the iron back and forth, when she set it down with the iron end facing me instead of the handle. Me, being stupid and too caught up in getting a seam to lay flat, reaches for it without looking...

Ow. Just.. ow. No permanent damage, but it did teach me to LOOK.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
genawena
« Reply #235 on: December 22, 2004 03:00:02 PM »

Just wondering- how many of you have gone down the path of repetitively stabbing yourself with a felting needle? I, being the intellect that i am, talked to my funniest friend whilst needle felting for the first time ever. 2 minutes later, my thumb was covered in pinpricks of red. Including one very large one under my thumbnail. That bled for hours. Im sure I am not the only one, as they are some sharp needles.
-G.

heh, stargirl...I do that with any needle when I'm handsewing for hours...I seem to use my finger pads as a backing when I'm working on tiny things...I wind up looking like a compulsive blood tester. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2004 03:34:49 PM »

I dont have a machine so I handsew everything, and im not the most co-ordinated of people. I was sewing through 6 layers of satin, plus lining. I pushed rrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyyyyy hard, and the needle came through all at once. It then went through my thumb, just below the creasy bit in the middle. It took me a while to realise why i couldn't move the needle. It went straight through the 1st layer of skin, and along for about 1 1/2 cm. It sure looked odd.
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
genawena
« Reply #237 on: December 23, 2004 08:20:48 AM »

Ouch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
properlyjaded
« Reply #238 on: December 24, 2004 08:35:01 PM »

I just remembered this from reading this topic...

When I was about 7 or 8, not exactly sure what age I was, I had been doing something with my mom's sewing machine...when I went to unplug it after finishing I noticed that the plug seemed to be coming apart, I tried pulling it out of the power strip with the cord, but it just seemed to come apart more, so I took a pair of scissors and stuck them in between the two prongs to use the blade as a lever to push the plug out without it coming apart.

Not only did this throw the circuit breaker turning off all power in the house, but actual sparks came out of the outlet!

Apparently I almost died, but I didn't even get shocked!

Needless to say, I wasn't allowed to use the sewing machine unsupervised for quite a while after that. ^^;;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Threw caution to the wind, but I've got a lousy arm"
genawena
« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2004 02:14:33 AM »

Well the lever part was so precocious! Yikes! That's a profound way to learn about trons...glad you are here to tell us about it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 147 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...