A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 147
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 225992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slb2724
« Reply #1080 on: February 04, 2007 01:00:26 PM »

Oh lights, I can so relate.
One year I worked at Cinnabon (place that makes cinnamon rolls). One of my jobs was to take the hot rolls from the oven and frost them. Jokester boss thought it would be really funny to try to hand me a hot pan straight from the 5,000-degree oven (OK, maybe not, but it was at least 500 to cook them fast) and see if I would take it. To his credit, he really didn't think I would do something so stupid, but I was working really fast and not paying attention. So I grab it and, stupid me, instead of just dropping it, was so concerned about not wasting the rolls by dropping them on the floor that I had to stop and clear the counter first so I could have somewhere to set down the pan that was slowly burning through the first five layers of my epidermis. And the whole time the boss is standing there with a shocked look on his face yelling for me to drop the pan. What?! And ruin half a dozen cinnamon rolls?!
Needless to say, I spent the rest of the night with my hand on ice.

i just have to say that i totally love that place!!! sadly the closest one is like 30 mins away, and since i cant drive, that would be one looooong bike ride....and i got a new craft related injury! you know those little BUMPY,SHARP, METAL spokes that stick off the end of tape holders so you can cut your tape? well i was holding a present with one hand and trying to rip off tape with the other while the holder was on the shelf above me. it came down and the metal part thwacked me in the head, and now i have a line of 17 red holes on my cheek. i look super cool now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
StoryFromTheStars
Everyone wears a mask.

I made mine, with lots of glitter and shinies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: February 04, 2007 08:00:51 PM »

Have had so many burns and scrapes and bruises and blisters I can't even remember what all these scars are from! 

Me too, though most of mine aren't crafting related, they're band related....
Though my two worst ones aren't related to anything, really.
When I was three or four, I was reaching over my parents bathroom counter for something, and didn't realize that my moms curling iron was HOT...yea, I still have a scar on my elbow.
Then, a few years later, I was playing in the HUGE puddle in front of my house after a bad rain(because our drainage in the city was horrible) and one of my legs fell into the whole my next door neighbors had made in the tar of the road. I yelled so loud that my brother went and got my mom. He was in the BACK yard.
And then a few years after that I was camping with my family and my brother and I were doing jumping jacks in front of the fire(we were really stupid, weren't we?) and he accidentally tripped me and I fell hands first into the camp fire. It's a miracle I don't have scars all over my hand.

I don't have many craft related injuries, but I have some gory memories...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Purtty Blog
Knitting is a way of life.
~*Little_Miss_Scare_All*~
« Reply #1082 on: February 06, 2007 06:10:58 PM »

Just a few days ago.... I was trying to make a spiderweb cane....I was using one of those long  wallpaper razors to slice the clay...Well My boyfriend was  acting like a fool and I looked up.... When I did  my hand went down with the blade... and ummm my other hand was in the way... Just those few seconds I ended up cutting my thumb down to the bone... It didnt hurt... I was more shocked than anything else Shocked.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropscone
« Reply #1083 on: February 06, 2007 06:22:26 PM »

OOOOOOW! to Little_Miss_Scare_All's razor story!

Hee, I'm liking this thread, it's making me remember all my stupid injuries.

When I was about 7-8 I was cutting carpet samples up for my Sindy Dolls house (a cardboard box) and jammed the scissors ridiculously hard into my palm. I decided to run a sink full of water, left my hand in there for a while, and nothing seemed to happen, then I lifted it up and there was a beautiful ball of blood suspended in the water  Grin I still have a very faint scar.

When I was a professional (well, kinda Wink) jeweller, I melted a lump of gold and left it on the charcoal block, then a few minutes later forgot I'd just melted it down and picked it up with my bare fingers and thumb. Burnt through quite a few layers of skin  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dstucki
« Reply #1084 on: February 07, 2007 01:23:41 PM »

I convinced my DH that a jigsaw (aka saber saw, not a scroll saw) would be a really spiffy Christmas gift for me. I cackled with glee when I opened it, and rushed off to the basement.

A few weeks later, I decided to cut a piece of playwood to make a six-board chest for my SCA activities. Excited about starting a new project, I leaned forward--and my thick waist-length hair got sucked into the vent on the side of the saw, locking up and frying the motor instantly. I made sure there was no blood, then made my way upstairs, the jigsaw stuck to my head like a crazed Princess Leia.
DH's initial reaction was "Oh my god, are you okay?" His second reaction was to laugh. And laugh. And laugh. It took twenty minutes of slow, careful pulling (punctuated by bouts of laughter) to unwind my hair from the motor of the saw. I was completely uninjured, but the saw was a goner. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

Because Pizza Princess is the best princess

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 07, 2007 05:49:54 PM »

Thank you for making me spit grape soda out my nose!  I am glad you are okay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rhowyn
« Reply #1086 on: February 11, 2007 12:17:35 PM »

I think we should make a pact that the next time one of us turns up in the emergency room we should claim that we were making a first aid kit. I'd love to see a doctor's face
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dair

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: February 11, 2007 05:48:03 PM »

ahhh my latest one is sitting on (bamboo) sock needles when i've left my knitting on the couch. i have done it 3 times! (and broken the needle everytime).

i've only broken the skin once, but they leave a heck of a deep bruise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StoryFromTheStars
Everyone wears a mask.

I made mine, with lots of glitter and shinies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: February 11, 2007 09:59:17 PM »

Ouch, luckily I've never done that, nor has any of my family, because they would be very very pissed. But I thank my lucky stars every time I remember to pick the needles BEFORE sitting down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Purtty Blog
Knitting is a way of life.
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1089 on: February 18, 2007 10:28:12 AM »

I got a chemical burn from paint stripper
I burned head with an iron (don't ask)
and burned myself with a glue gun
ALL IN THE SAME DAY...
it was like "WHEN CRAFTS ATTACK on FOX!"

This is what happens when you spill paint in the garage...

haha...
"WHEN CRAFTS ATTACK on FOX"...
Oh, wow... I have tears in my eyes from that one.

I have one to add:

When your room lights are near the front door and you're trying to make it to your bedroom across the apartment, so you carefully memorize where everything is on the floor so that you can turn the lights off and dash to the bedroom.  You now know where the scissors, the knitting needles, the beads, the pliers, glues, etc. all are located. You turn off the light and instantly step on the embroidery needle you dropped in the carpet and couldn't find 2 wks ago. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 147 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Comparison Between Abstract and Pictorial Photography
How to Light a Portrait with Small Flash Units Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 2/2
How to Keep Your Images Simple
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...