A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 146
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 199435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #1070 on: January 22, 2007 06:09:11 PM »

i did the worst one i've ever had today. i made a resin bottlecap pendant... and today i was bored in my room and started to wonder how it would look OUTSIDE of the bottlecap. So, I sat on the bed with a jewelry pliers and started tearing the bottlecap off. than i slipped, and the bottlecap went right into my thumb. technically, i need stitches, but i have no medical insurance so i just put butterfly band-aids on it and other band aids on top of it....... Well, my sister did that for me while i was on the verge of fainting in the bathroom from watching the sink fill with blood. heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SleeveThieves
Leave the shirt...take the sleeves

Are you throwing that away???

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1071 on: January 25, 2007 10:31:27 PM »

I got a chemical burn from paint stripper
I burned head with an iron (don't ask)
and burned myself with a glue gun
ALL IN THE SAME DAY...
it was like "WHEN CRAFTS ATTACK on FOX!"

This is what happens when you spill paint in the garage...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everything deserves a second chance at being something useful..
HalfBrit
« Reply #1072 on: January 27, 2007 12:58:06 PM »

Mine is just sad because I'm way old enough to know better, but I'm also lazy sometimes and get tired of running up and down the stairs and climbing over the dog-free-zone gate I have to keep my craft room clean and sanctuary-like. 

I was trying to pull a nail out of a piece of wood and didn't have a claw hammer upstairs.  So I did what any other resourceful fool would do, I used a pair of needle nose pliers.  Couldn't get a good grip so I put the wood on the floor and stood on either end and pulled really hard.  And it came out!  Fast.  Too fast- I rammed the 2 ends of the handle of the pliers right into my forehead, nearly knocking myself out.  I guess I'm lucky I missed my eyes, but my 2 new bruises on my forehead were quite a sight to see for the next 2 weeks.  Purple, black, green, yellow- I had to coordinate my outfits to match my forehead. 

And I learned really quickly to not hold the glue gun over my bare upper thigh.  It only took one burn.  I still have that scar and it's been at least 10 years. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1073 on: January 27, 2007 06:29:42 PM »

This morning  I was making some projects for a swap with fake feathers I had gotten at Wal-Mart for $1.

Well. Apparently Wal-Mart doesn't package fake feathers.  They use real (probably chicken) feathers. 

How do I know?

I'm allergic to feathers.  After an hour of sewing and cutting feathers, my t-shirt was coated in feather fluff.  My eyes were so poufy I could barely keep them open, and my nose was so itchy I thought it was going to fall off. 

Faux feathers, like the kind maribu is made of is fine, and I even have a feather boa that I've worn before that I had no problems with, but I guess crafting with feathers is out of the question. 

Ah, well. Now I know.  Of course, I also slept the afternoon away after I took an allergy pill, and I'm sitting at my desk (where I used the feathers) and am starting to get itchy-eyed again, so I might have to vacuum not only the floor, but my chair, too.

*edit* Really, it all makes sense now why Will (my cat) kept trying to get in the bag I kept the feathers in and was trying to eat them...he probably smelled whatever animal they came from.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007 06:33:57 PM by annaonthemoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
bagheera
D 僆!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1074 on: January 30, 2007 07:07:11 AM »

Not exactly crafty, but while I was at work, I was cutting a freight box down to collapse it. I wasn't paying 100% attention, you know?...
And I nearly sliced the tip of my thumb off. I got teased mercilessly for the next month. Embarrassed Someone even posted up a "Box Cutter Safety Tips" sheet in the staff room. The only upside was that I'm now a bit more careful cutting boxes. *sigh*

And on my 13th birthday, I got a needle stuck about an inch into my foot. Didn't bleed much, but was very painful.

Then, when I was sewing, I got a finger stuck near the presser foot and it got slammed by some metal moving part. That happened several times.

Oh, yeah! And I believe my fingers are now pretty much immune to heat. Too much hot glue and candle wax, I think. Now it takes longer for them to sense heat, it's weird. Shocked

I've stuck, poked, cut, glued and otherwise maimed most parts of me. Tongue
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007 07:12:29 AM by bagheera » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obsessed with Death Note as I am? Clickies and show your support for a swap! Grin
---
As I lay back, looking at the stars, I began to wonder...
Where the heck did my roof go???
slb2724
« Reply #1075 on: January 30, 2007 08:16:55 AM »

Not exactly crafty, but while I was at work, I was cutting a freight box down to collapse it. I wasn't paying 100% attention, you know?...
And I nearly sliced the tip of my thumb off. I got teased mercilessly for the next month. Embarrassed Someone even posted up a "Box Cutter Safety Tips" sheet in the staff room. The only upside was that I'm now a bit more careful cutting boxes. *sigh*

And on my 13th birthday, I got a needle stuck about an inch into my foot. Didn't bleed much, but was very painful.

Then, when I was sewing, I got a finger stuck near the presser foot and it got slammed by some metal moving part. That happened several times.

Oh, yeah! And I believe my fingers are now pretty much immune to heat. Too much hot glue and candle wax, I think. Now it takes longer for them to sense heat, it's weird. Shocked

I've stuck, poked, cut, glued and otherwise maimed most parts of me. Tongue

speaking of candles.....at church on christmas eve there is a service and toward the end we all light candles...sadly during the service i made the cardboard "wax protector" (so it doesnt drip on you) in to a swan.....and came away with so many wax burns that night.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: January 30, 2007 02:47:29 PM »

OK... love these stories... or am feeling not so alone-

have a long history of harming myself for art but here  are a few good ones..

when I was 5- i shoved two beans up my nose, while trying to make a mosaic in art class... took an hour to blow them out...

11 yo - was cutting out some paper for my brother and cut skin from my index finger - still a great scar 32 years later!

30 yo - cut my middle finger so deep with a razor I needed 7 stitches adn bled all over my PAPER and RUINED it which is what I am still SO MAD about!!

Have had so many burns and scrapes and bruises and blisters I can't even remember what all these scars are from! 

thanks everyone for making me laugh with you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassEstoner
« Reply #1077 on: January 30, 2007 09:50:24 PM »

One time late at night I got this great idea to make a bottlecap table. So I gathered all my bottlecaps, set out a pattern, plugged in my hot glue gun and began. It took me 3 hours. I ended up glueing my fingers together and then ripping them apart and glueing them again that they were bandaided at the end of that project. Lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lights_of_broadway
« Reply #1078 on: February 01, 2007 07:25:04 PM »

wow. some interesting stories here...

well let's see, there's the normal stuff... paper cuts... staple through my finger once or twice... sealing something with clear nail polish and spilling it and getting my fingers stuck together...

probably the most stupid thing I've done was a couple of summers ago. lesson learned: NEVER bake cookies while babysitting at the end of a long week when you're exhausted. this family I babysat for had these really thin potholders, so I started using two of them on one hand so I wouldn't burn myself on the hot tray. well wouldn't you know it, but as I pulled the last tray of cookies out, I was so tired that I forgot that I had both potholders on one hand, and my other hand was bare. yes, I grabbed the pan with both hands.  Shocked what made it even worse is that I couldn't find any advil or anything, and the parents weren't coming back till like 3 am, so I ended up sleeping that night with my hand in a bucket of ice water.

yeah, not the most brilliant moment of my life...  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Welcome to the annual meeting of people who... annually meet! And we'll see ya'll again next year. =P
aztecr3ina

I'm not that kind of girl

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 03, 2007 10:06:07 PM »

Oh lights, I can so relate.
One year I worked at Cinnabon (place that makes cinnamon rolls). One of my jobs was to take the hot rolls from the oven and frost them. Jokester boss thought it would be really funny to try to hand me a hot pan straight from the 5,000-degree oven (OK, maybe not, but it was at least 500 to cook them fast) and see if I would take it. To his credit, he really didn't think I would do something so stupid, but I was working really fast and not paying attention. So I grab it and, stupid me, instead of just dropping it, was so concerned about not wasting the rolls by dropping them on the floor that I had to stop and clear the counter first so I could have somewhere to set down the pan that was slowly burning through the first five layers of my epidermis. And the whole time the boss is standing there with a shocked look on his face yelling for me to drop the pan. What?! And ruin half a dozen cinnamon rolls?!
Needless to say, I spent the rest of the night with my hand on ice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 146 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Big Eye Tuna Sushi
How to Order at a Chinese Restaurant
What is a California Roll
How to Use Chopsticks
Stir Fry Food Technique - Chinese Culinary Chicago
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...