A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 146
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 207544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Crane
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2004 05:27:02 AM »

I'm a brand new to the craft scene and reading about all these injuries is kind of scary.  I don't have any real craft related injuries, but when i was seven or eight i put a plastic bead (i think it was blue) up my nose during nap time at daycare.  The lady thought i was saying i had a bee up my nose.  I ended up in the hospital.  That was great.  They made me inhale nasty banana flavored gas to go to sleep.  I don't use beads anymore.  Nor do i eat bananas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
metamurph
Lifeguarding the gene pool!

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2004 07:26:49 AM »

I'm a brand new to the craft scene and reading about all these injuries is kind of scary.  I don't have any real craft related injuries, but when i was seven or eight i put a plastic bead (i think it was blue) up my nose during nap time at daycare.  The lady thought i was saying i had a bee up my nose.  I ended up in the hospital.  That was great.  They made me inhale nasty banana flavored gas to go to sleep.  I don't use beads anymore.  Nor do i eat bananas.

Don't let us scare you! In spite of the lost fingernails, missing appendage tips, multiple scars, and many, many mishaps, we're all pretty much still happily crafting away, duly fortified against the next burn or stab or cut. Things do happen, but caution is always a necessity.

Fun story:

Earlier this past summer, I found an ancient all-metal overlock machine at a garage sale. I opened it up and it didn't look bad, so I decided to buy it ($5 - who cares, ya know?)

Before I even got it home, I had mashed my finger in one of the buckles that fastens the cover to the machine, scraped my leg against a jagged plastic edge of the cover picking it up, and when I went to put it down to check on my leg, the damn thing fell straight over (presumably because two of the little rubber feet on the bottom were missing) and landed on the top of my foot, right at the base of my toes. All of them. I had a nasty bruise running across the top of my foot for the next couple of weeks.

But of course, I still bought it.

My father walked past it after I had placed it in the sewing room and stubbed his toe on it. The second time, he was moving around in the dark and barked his shin on it. The third time it injured him was when he went to pick it up and the handle (plastic handle for a heavy metal machine, right?) cracked and cut his palm. Not badly, but enough to piss him off. When I got home from work the next day, it was gone. He had put it out for the trash. He said it was better to pass the possessed machine along to another unfortunate family.

My poor dad. He's the reason I use the pins with the jumbo colored ball heads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a sewing pattern? Check out my Etsy:

http://singlebutcrafty.etsy.com
Lalage
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2004 01:00:35 PM »

You only hurt the machines you love-----------this JUST happened:

Lesson Number One in Sewing Machine Repair.

DO NOT HAND YOUR MAN A BOTTLE THAT YOU THINK IS SEWING MACHINE OIL UNLESS YOU READ THE LABEL FIRST!!!!!  CYANOACRYLATE GLUE DOES NOT PERFORM THE SAME PURPOSE!!!!!

Fortunately, he is smart as well as handsome and realized that when the gears started locking, that there WAS SOMETHING WRONG. (And for those of you who question why HE did not read the label, it's because he has faith that *i* *do* know what *i'm* doing)Copious amounts of headcleaner have dissolved most of it away, but it remains to be seen if the ultimate price is Toss It.

and perhaps i should use a little headcleaner on myself............  :'(notice the "cry late" in the glue name---it's there for a reason

PS  Of course, *now* he will not trust me to hand him a drink, in case it's actually drano or rat poison or sewing machine oil...  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004 03:42:20 PM by Lalage » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ilsa

...but what do I know.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2004 11:55:38 PM »

I'm right handed and I keep some injuring my left hand/arm in new weird and disturbing ways. Which prompts me to hide them in new and interesting ways. I made some neat leather cuffs from Tandy suede and snaps. Fabric rings. Sleeves. When I go to visit my mom now the first thing out of my mouth is "IT'S NOT SELF INFLICTED!" Intentionally, anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scuffmark21
MadelineAwesome

my hobbies are crafts and befriending rockstars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2004 03:34:42 PM »

last wednesday actually i was putting up flyers for the first craft club meeting *i'm president!* and i was opening the stapler to put the flyer on the bulliten board and a staple went alllll the way into my thumb. now i have 4 dots on my thumb. two from when the staple went in and 2 from where it stopped. its gross!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So, in conclusion, air-bud is a completely fictional story because in real life dogs are never allowed to play in soccer or in anysport for that matter."
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2004 10:16:39 PM »

I'm right handed and I keep some injuring my left hand/arm in new weird and disturbing ways. Which prompts me to hide them in new and interesting ways. I made some neat leather cuffs from Tandy suede and snaps. Fabric rings. Sleeves. When I go to visit my mom now the first thing out of my mouth is "IT'S NOT SELF INFLICTED!" Intentionally, anyway.

I'm having a hard time convincing the folks at the hospital of this same thing! I've now had the social worker talk to me twice because of all the stitches and dermabond  I've been getting. No, really, I'm not troubled....I just lack coordination around certain sharp or pointy objects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsayanne
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2004 09:21:15 AM »

I don't know if I could ever get any of my cats to eat cotton balls, but I know the dog would.  The other day I busted him eatting the pebbles that I had just bought for the fish tank.

cotton balls- wow. I don't think annie would eat those. The popular treatment in the Airedale world is metamucil. Metamucil in high doses coats anything in the stomach with a thick, mucousy coating. check out this: http://jubileeaires.com/fiber.htm

ren Girl--

I'm having a hard time convincing the folks at the hospital of this same thing! I've now had the social worker talk to me twice because of all the stitches and dermabond  I've been getting. No, really, I'm not troubled....I just lack coordination around certain sharp or pointy objects.

You should bring your bloody craft projects with you.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michaelasmom

Nobody is born a bigot..........

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2004 10:11:37 AM »

Ok, well now I want to go home and throw out all of my grandfather's bottles of metamucil. ewwwww
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004 10:13:09 AM by Michaela*s_Mom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Any idiot can handle a crisis.  It's the day to day living that wears you out."  -- Anton Checkov
twiggymissretro
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2004 01:35:09 PM »

well....like everyone else..i get the usual burns and cuts...but i get cut in everything...and i do mean everything....this isnt really crafty-making related...but i got cut on a butter knife...not just a butter knife..but a plastic butterknife...yea...i have a scar...and i also managed to get my knucles cut up my chips...doritios...hmmm...i dont see how im not in a straight jackey yet...lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@missKIRS10
facebook.com/teamkittykoalition
MEOWZZZZZ. xoxo.
indiaromeo
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2004 02:04:05 PM »

Everytime I get enough nerve up to click on this thread to read the new posts, I am always grateful for 2 things:

1) that all of us are still alive and kicking (knock on wood Wink)
2) that none of us have been near a digital camera at the time of our misfortune, or else I might have 2 million heart attacks a day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 146 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Sports Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Product Photography
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Panoramic Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...