A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
823 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 146
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 198026 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lateralus4594
« Reply #850 on: July 09, 2006 05:16:36 AM »

The other day I broke a needle on my finger.

I was sewing, felt EXTREME pain in my left index finger, saw huge drops of blood, and hightailed it upstairs to wash it off and put a band-aid on.  Came back downstairs to continue sewing and the broken needle flew off and hit me in the face.

Ahhh, I love sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft r good.
dancedupapillon
« Reply #851 on: July 13, 2006 01:53:17 PM »

Every hand sewn project I've done in the past few years, especialy those destined to be presents, draw blood at least once.  I finally got me a thimble, but I don't like how it limits the sensation of the  fabric on my fingers.  That's right, I'm a tactile geek.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #852 on: July 13, 2006 03:30:52 PM »

ok  other than hot glue and iron adn well the  occasional  needle stab  while  hand stitching  here is my biggest  and  most  painful  injury.

mind you 9 months pregnant with a belly  aprearing to be  carrying twins. (odd placenta thing)
any way... I was  making a  patchwork blanket and was  adding the  batting to it. It was all pinned down nice and neat and  I was  sewing  along  when  I  had to turn the  blanket.  ok  let alone the  belly it was a  queen size  blanket and I was  working on my kitchen table (not a large area)   and  as I turned the  blanket  one of the pins  stuck in my boob and ripped my boob open........ 4 stitches later and asstounded ER staff bursting in laughter..... I learned  to  position my pins the right way not just any old way!   

I did  not  think I was  moving the  blanket that  fast  but  man alive it  happened so fast!!!  My hubby still teases  me  about it  when ever he can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: July 14, 2006 12:05:22 AM »

Wow, a variety of injuries here!  I'm only on like page 7 of 88 here...

I've sliced myself with scissors many times.  When I was little I managed to do that with my first pair of sharp scissors -- the tip had a cover in the shape of the letter A and the handle reads B C.  My mom STILL uses those damn scissors in her needlework basket and I cringe every time I see them.

Never try to wipe fuzzies off sewing shears with your bare hands.  Trust me.  Smiley

Be careful when scraping stickers off with a razor.  Cut myself TWICE at two different jobs now.  At the library I was scraping off a renewal date and slipped and I then had to try NOT to bleed all over the girl's card.  At Hobby Lobby I've been scraping old stickers off glass and now I started wearing my mechanic's glove on my left hand while I do so since I hit the side of my finger with the blade (the glove happens to have extra padding RIGHT THERE luckily!)

I've sliced myself on the rotary cutter too.  One day not too long ago I was using my rotary cutter to slice through piles of fabrics to try knitting them and all of a sudden I noticed I had lots of little cuts on my fingers.  Weird cuz I have that nice Fiskars brand cutter where you have to push down the blade to cut. 

I've never really gotten a burn from hot glue though.  And I stick my fingers in it all the time.  I must manage to stick them in after it's cooled enough that it's a soothing warmth.  <shrug>

I burned myself on wool tonight.  (I'll let that sink in a moment Cheesy )  I'm Kool Aid dyeing a bunch of Fisherman's Wool (which NO ONE seems to carry anymore!  4 stores it took to find it!) and I had microwaved one mini-hank for about 3 minutes and I went to pick it up and OW!  I couldn't tell if the tip of that finger was red from a burn or red from the cherry Kool Aid (I think it was the burn though).

Oh and I've poked my fingers with sewing needles and pins so much I have callouses.  Funny thing is, I'll poke a big hole in me with a sewing needle, draw blood even, go "eh" and grab a band aid but come at me with a hypodermic needle and you're dealing with a 2 year old.  Go figure.

Oh and I've bumped and bruised myself more times than I can count.  I'm always bumping into something...or just going "When did I get THAT bruise?"

Of course, I'm always prepared.  I found the best portable pill container at Walmart, it unfolds and has compartments, 5 small ones in one half and a larger one in the other half -- perfect size for bandaids!  That's always in my purse or my pocket.  My coworkers get a kick out of the variety in there -- currently it holds Incredibles, Cars, Finding Nemo, Spider-man, Hot Wheels, and Hello Kitty band-aids.  Smiley

Mary Jo
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006 12:22:13 AM by KnitChick1979 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
SherNWT
« Reply #854 on: July 14, 2006 09:32:45 AM »

My dh has threatened to confiscate all my sharp materials due to the number of cuts, nicks, scraps and other inguries.   Worst one was I dropped my shears and punctured my foot with them. Come to think of it my good shears have gone missing and I can't find any of the sharp blades for my rotary cutter Roll Eyes  I wonder where he could have hid them. 

Sher
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: July 14, 2006 09:50:41 AM »

I learned not to cut indigo dyed fabrics without wearing gloves.  Real indigo will numb your fingers and I have sniped triangular chunks out of fingers because I couldn't feel them.  A set of nitrile gloves keeps that from happening though (latex makes my hands itch, so I'm being carefull of latex gloves) but it's disturbing to look for the next cutting line and find it covered in blood...  And the looks on the ER folks faces when you go for stitches and don't feel them poking you.  Had it happen once where they hadn't localed me for the stitches (busy day) and had the doc come in with my shot only to find me already being sewn up.  I couldn't feel a thing with the indigo in my system.  It freaked them out but good and still can make me laugh.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
lowercaseblue
« Reply #856 on: July 16, 2006 02:11:20 AM »

When I was a little girl I was learning to embroider and set down my sewing to go do who knows what, came back, and sat directly on the needle. My poor mother. I just kept screaming and freaking out and she couldn't figure out what was wrong. It took awhile before she realized what I'd done and yanked the needle out of my butt.

Another butt story-- just tonight I was sitting on the floor working on a tshirt. As I scooted forward to get a closer look at it, I realize that I had just acquired a splinter. It was fantastic looking in the mirror and pinching my butt to get it out. Believe me.

And lastly the classic hot glue gun story... I was helping put fuzzy pom poms onto yellow construction helmets for kids for Vacation Bible School. Well wouldn't you know that the hot glue was hot enough to burn right through the helmet and onto my finger. My first crafting blister when I was in 7th grade. Ahh!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iluvmygreenpen
you look like Skeletor!

Eek, I'm a broadway freak.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: July 16, 2006 06:06:59 PM »

x-acto knives Sad  how many times have i cut myself on one? once i was cutting out a stencil when i felt this wetness on the knive. so i looked and there was blood all over it! turns out i cut my ring finger like 8 times without even realizling it.
       the joy of stenciling..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lorin

live fast, die pretty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: July 17, 2006 03:09:58 PM »

As soon as this happend I though exactly about this thread and this forum. Granted, I haven't been back to craftster in about a year (give or take). So, here goes!

I knit an awesome red ipod sock out of red yarn and some crazy fuzzy yarn from the dollar bin at the craft store. Well, it was red with a fuzzy stripey- thing on one side. Awesomely bad none the less  Cool. My younger brother, upon first sight, pleaded with me for one. After thoughtful consideration I obliged with a lime green one done in seed (/moss? something?) stitch, that I'd recently fell in love with doing. I came towards the end and, having no craft scissors, opted to cut the tail with a fresh rectangle razor blade I'd smuggled out of work for the purpose of removing some gum from the interior of my car. Sharp, it worked just fine, untill it was replaced back on the couch arm and fell between the cushion and it. With little red flags popping up in my head, I override them thinking "na, I'm pretty lucky lately, I bet I can do it."
I retract the blade sucessfully, only that the blade was embedded in my dermal layers was the tragic flaw.
Bleeding, bleeding, bleeding... My finger had a gaping cut in it, probably could have stood for a stitch in retrospect, because it it'll wont stay closed.
Anyway. It made me think about craftster when it happened, and I decided to post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Lorin
my4kidz
« Reply #859 on: July 18, 2006 07:22:07 AM »

Beware of Popsicle type craft sticks you know the dyed kind
my sons were crafting with some and one of them got broken and embedded into the carpet and my poor 16 yr old step on it it went in sideways and very deep.
we spent 6 hours in the ER and after an hour of the Dr trying to dig it out we were told she needs surgery to remove it I have to take her back this afternoon for her surgery
the grosses part of it all was instead of blood draining from her foot she had  this nasty green dye coming from her injured foot
so please make sure to check your floors carefully after the kids have been doing crafts
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006 10:05:04 AM by my4kidz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 146 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hot Legs Recipe
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Pecan Topped Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Keeneland Chicken Salad in Bread Bowl Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...