A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,478
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 146
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 207377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lindsayanne
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004 01:47:44 PM »

Holy crap. We're lucky our loved ones aren't making us craft with only felt and elmers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffysam
i love whales.

sewing, sewing, sewing some more

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004 02:28:36 PM »

Hot glue guns!! Actually, this isn't that bad, but I was in first grade and it scarred me for life. I went to a Catholic school, and we wore uniforms, and my mom was hot-gluing buttons (in school colors) to a barrette for me to wear to school. I was helping her, and pressed one of the buttons on the barrette, and hot glue squirted through the hole and onto my thumb. Sad It was so sad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Sam

Fluffyland - A shop filled with handmade cuteness! Whales, Narwhals, Wrist Wallets, and more!
http://www.fluffyland.com

Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog
Photos & Tutorials & Haiku!
http://www.fluffyland.com/blog
youlittlerabbit
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004 02:31:27 PM »

on several occaisons i have broken sewing machine needles and had the tips shoot out and hit me in the face.... but the worst was2 yrs ago when a boyfriend stepped on a handsewing needle in my room...the end w/ the eye (the blunt side) somehow went into his foot and broke off inside. he had to have an operation...oops.

this forum makes me feel a little better. although i should prolly still get a helmet and goggles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alleycat.rm

"Me fail English!? Thats unpossible!" -Ralph W.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004 02:41:40 PM »

Just reading these post makes me hurt. I've had my share of glue gun burns (many resulting in big blisters owwie). I remember once when i was younger my plastic swimming pool had a hole in it so i was gonna tape it, well i couldnt get the tape to come off the roll so i got my moms silver sewing scissors to open it and they ended up running straight across the tape and into my finger right at one of the joints i couldnt bend my finger for a couple of weeks and still to this day it will spasm sometimes. I still dont like those silver scissors  Sad I've always been the kind of person who takes stuff apart to see how it works, I've had many close calls with electricity! I also work at a fabric store and have snipped my hand many times while cutting ribbon or velcro (the part of my hand between my thumb and pointer finger). I really should be banned from sharp objects  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004 02:50:54 PM »

once, i was dressing up and a indian person (when i was like 10) and i got this rhinestone thing, and stuck a ton of hot glue on it, and stuck it to my forehead! oh, the pain!! i had the same thought to wait till it cooled, so i sat there for like 5 minutes with this thing burning into my head. then when i pulled it off, it took the skin with it...not too smart....
another time, i was burning cds, like over a candle, then you mold it to weird shapes. but apparently i held it over the candle too long, and a huge chunk of burning plastic flew onto my leg! i then tried to brush it off with my finger, and it got stuck to my hand, so now i have a lot of little burn scars ALL over my fingers! i burn myself all the time!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
scrappygirl085
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004 03:07:03 PM »

wow!  a dangerous crafter!  haha just kidding.  BE CAREFUL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004 03:15:47 PM »

So about three months ago....I accidentally left my glue gun on for hours.  I turned it off but for some inexplicable reason, I put my palm on the hot glue that had leaked.  My first reaction was to close my hand.....spreading the glue and making the burn larger!!!!!

I cried for two hours and kept telling Mr. Boo that I needed to go the ER.  He told me calm down and relax.  I iced it and it throbbed for hours.  I had to gauze my hand and look like a dork for a few days. 

Also when I hand sew or embroider, I have a tendency to pull the needle and thread through the first few layes of skin.  I am so numb to it now. 

Boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrs.benjimadden
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004 03:39:24 PM »

The other day I burnt myself on the oven and a couple of days before that I burnt myself with my hot glue gun, but my worst accident was when I was cutting a pieace of plastic with scissors(not a good idea) and I cut a chunk out of my thumb. I didnt have to get stiches or anything but it was hard to get it to stop bleeding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are not vigilant and demanding of your talent everyday, you will slowly become what you hate.

My wist!!
www.wists.com/johkay03
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004 03:42:13 PM »

I was once trying to cut off a chunk of clay from this big block with an x-acto knife.... Iam sure you see where this is going....well I was holding it in my lieft hand and instead of cutting it because the clay was so hard the knife like slipped off it and chopped in to my finger on my left hand and got a nice little vein.... so I yelled to my boyfrriend at the time now husband as i ran past him "i cut myself i cut myself" and i guess I was squirting blood every where along the liiving room to the kitchen and he followed me in there and he found me over the sink and as soon as he found me I fainted and I guess I started snoring so he started yelling at me because he thought I was teasing him and I would come to and keep passing out and snoring..... eventually he drove me to the ER and I got 4 stiches and a tetnus shot......it was one rusty x--acto knife.... oh and they told me at the ER that the tetnus shot is only good 5+ years as long as you dont actually step or cut yourself with anything rusty! then if you do 3-4 years.
*h
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2004 04:02:59 PM »

I find it worrisome that this has 20 posts and it hasn't even been up for 12 hours!  we're some pretty clumsy people.   Wink

I've never done anything majorly bad...  my mother stepped on a needle I had on the floor one time, and I have a few times. then I was younger I was stapling a book and stapled my thumb.  that was bloody.  I've had the normal run of xacto slices and such.

actually, I think the worst sort of crafty injury I've had (it wasn't crafting, it was making a machine for science olympiad, but close enough) was when I set my hand down on a hot glue gun.  it was one of the little tiny ones that don't stay up well, and someone happened to bump the cord and it moved.  well, I didn't know it had moved, so I just put my hand down without looking - right on top of it.  I immediately jumped up - the hot glue gun came with me!  it was stuck to my hand.  let's just say that after I ripped it off, I was jumping all around the basement waving my hand and going "owwwww".  my boyfriend at the time found it kind of funny.  I had a huge blister on the middle of my hand for two weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 146 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Better Way to Eat an Ice Cream Cone
Joy the Baker Learns How to Make Blackberry Jam
How to Make the Perfect Caramel Apples
How to Bake Delicious Walnut Fudge
How to Make Peanut Butter and Nutella Smores
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...