A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 308,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 147
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 265174 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Coma_Girl
Master of the Girlie Arts

Pirates fear me. Ninjas want to be me.

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2004 07:33:42 AM »

I was just cutting up my recycling with a box cutter - a dull one at that - and while for the most point I was obeying all safety rules but I did find myself "cheating" for the sake of time and ease.  Then I remembered how a year ago I had to get stitches in my hands FOUR TIMES IN TWO MONTHS for similar, but not craft related injuries (the hubster insisted on going with me the forth time because he didn't want them thinking he had some weird propensity toward digit abuse).  It got me thinking, has anyone else cut corners and ended up cutting themselves instead?

Let's all learn from each others' "I know beter, but...."  And by all means include embarrassing ER moments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miffy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004 10:18:02 AM »

Mine have mostly been just minor things: oven burns, pricked fingers, paper cuts. My more... "original" ones were being bitten by my sewing machine and (this isn't exactly craft related, but hey) grabbing the metal part of my curling iron that had been sitting in my bathroom heating up for half an hour (I was crafting during all that time. Guess I got distracted.) I suffered some pretty decent burns on the entire palm/fingers of my left hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004 11:22:59 AM »

i was hot gluing something awhile ago, and a goop of hot glue fell onto my leg. i was w/ one of my friends, and we figured it would be easier to get the glue off when it was dry. yeah..not so smart b/c instead of dealing w/ a mess, i had to sit and let the hot glue burn onto my leg while it dried. looking back, i dont know why i thought this would be a good idea, but no i have a 3' scar of my right calf. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Lindsayanne
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004 11:30:51 AM »

I should not be allowed near an iron.

I have this bad habit of reaching around or in front of my iron and burning the inside of my wrists and forarms on the edge of the iron. I've done it like 5 times in four months and have little straight scars up my arms, it looks SO bad -- I look like a angsty teenager with healing cuts on her forwarm Shocked My friends were all teasing me about it, but now they;'ve moved on to making fun of the big burn on my shoulder from when I bent over to pick something up and the IRON FELL ON ME!!  Grin

I can't believe I'm allowed to use a rotary cutter with this reputation...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004 11:33:24 AM »

I constantly burn myself with the iron. You think I'd learn one of these days, but noooo....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iampoison
Tutorial Contributor

Just a jersey girl without the acid wash.

"I believe you are in league with the butcher..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004 12:16:53 PM »

I've had only minor accidents, hot glue gun burns, a slip of the exacto knife...
But the worse i ever had was when i just changed the blade of my exacto knife and so it was sharp and clean ((no adhesive build up)) i was so used to having to force it through that i cut through the duct tape like a knife through butter and got my finger! I took about half my nail off ((i am a nail biter so they were already short but this was extreamly short. I could see the pink nail shaped flesh that was once under the nail. It really hurt and it seemed like it took forever to grow back. Anytime it was touched i got a sharp pain...((like if your nails are too short)). Ever since i have cut slowly and now i am a little afraid to put a new blade on... ^_^;;;
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just got flaked on for personal swaps so I am taking a break. ^_^; sorry everyone.
my shop: http://poisonandantidote.etsy.com/
eBay ID: rusty_buttons
My DA: http://chat-noir.deviantart.com/
My LJ: http://apatheticpoison.livejournal.com/
My wists: http://www.wists.com/iampoison
ForevrBee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004 12:50:51 PM »

Sewing needle stabs (feet especially), paper cuts, glue gun burns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004 01:03:01 PM »

Oh gosh, where DO I begin.  I'm the kind of person people like to call "Grace" as a nick name...

Let's see, there was the time I decided to carve a lovely long piece of sycamore for a walking stick, and my dad sharpened a knife for me, which I promptly sliced my hand open with.  That took 4 stitches.

Then there was the time I lit my hair on fire.  That was when I worked as a professional goldsmith.  I even had my hair pulled back, but one long tendril of bang fell out of the band just as I leaned over to look at the backside of a ring, and ended up holding that one long tendril directly over my torch.  Mmmm.

Also during jewelry-making, but when I was younger and just taking silversmithing classes, I caught my hair in the dental lathe we used for a polishing machine.  It was a bit like that cartoons of the guys with their ties stuck in the paper shredder...  My head just kept getting closer and closer to the spinning death.  I ended up with a large tangled dred in my hair, most of which was hair no longer attached to my scalp. 

Um, during my stint as a jeweler, I got numerous cuts, sometimes with spinning sanding disks, that both cut and cauterized in one swift movement, and on at least two occasions the clamps I was using to hold down a piece of 1000 degree metal came loose, causing some holes in clothing and minor burning...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004 07:07:32 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004 01:09:28 PM »

My father took away my rotary cutters after SEVERAL huge gashes... I sliced my hand/fingers everytime I used them. I have little faint scars all over both of my hands from craft-related cuts & burns-- I am a menace with sharp things & hot glue guns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
Coma_Girl
Master of the Girlie Arts

Pirates fear me. Ninjas want to be me.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004 01:18:49 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot...

There was the time that my husband was expressing himself with yard art.  He was arc welding and when he turned off the flame he promptly reached up to scratch his face WITH THE HOT WELDING TORCH THUS VAPORIZING PART OF HIS LOWER LIP!

He's said it's a smell you don't ever forget. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 147 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...