A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,398
Currently Running With Scissors:
713 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cloth pads=happy period  (Read 62268 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whaleomelette
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2010 04:03:04 AM »

Making your own pads=awesomest ever. Lots of people would consider it gross, but they're losers that don't care about the environment. Go team! <3
i care about the environment- always have always will in a none posey way. however there is no way id use reuseable pads. this does not make me a loser.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2010 03:19:47 PM »

Making your own pads=awesomest ever. Lots of people would consider it gross, but they're losers that don't care about the environment. Go team! <3
i care about the environment- always have always will in a none posey way. however there is no way id use reuseable pads. this does not make me a loser.

Let's all chill and play nice peeps! Thanks Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
JessySihk
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2010 12:10:13 PM »

I did a little research on the whole notion that store bought tampons are hazardous to your health due to the bleaching process. I think you'll all be interested in this.

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/feminineproducts/a/tampondebat.htm

If you are concerned that the pesticides used on the cotton during the growing process are present and harmful to your body by the time the cotton has undergone the process of becoming a tampon, then you should also keep in mind the clothes you wear, the sheets and blankets you sleep in, the toilet paper you use, paper towels you clean with, cushions you sit on, seats your car has, and Q-tips you use are all produced in a similar fashion Actually, you spend much more time in close contact with these items. If your worried your Vagina is some sort of absorbent haven for chemicals you can rest easy (I suppose), the skin is the largest organ in the human body and if you are absorbing some trace amount of pesticide that somehow has managed to survive the rigorous sterilization treatment , then your skin is absorbing well over one hundred times more each and every day.

Of course there is always the organic approach to tampons, and they take up a lot less space in a land fill than pads, plus they are Bio degradable, they're made from cotton! I am very aware of the fact that absorbent reusable products, like pads and sponges, hold massive amounts of bacteria. Even rigorous bleaching only kills 37-80% of the bacteria. Microwaving will kill 99.9% but do we really want to be sitting on irradiated fabrics? I suppose it's a little late for that concern as well.

I can understand the comfort thing for people that prefer pads, but what about the tampon users on here?
Any thoughts?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The craft swapping community! =] Check it out!
http://whoopdwhoop.com/

You can get my jawbone necklaces in my shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CavePunker
http://www.wists.com/JessySihk
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2010 12:28:30 PM »

My cramps decreased nearly to zero when I stopped using tampons. I have no idea if there is a provable scientific reason for it or not. I also don't really care 'why' it happened, I'm just glad it did  Smiley

I just bought a couple of pads that have wider 'flares' at the end that aren't all that comfortable, I hoping I can undo the machine-stitching and cut/re-sew the ends without the entire seam coming apart.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010 02:05:24 PM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JessySihk
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2010 12:34:54 PM »

I have really bad cramps no matter what i use =S im laid up in bed almost all week, it hurts too much to stand and walk. Im switching to organic tampons soon, i havent used pads since i was 13 or 14, i didnt like sitting in my own mess, and it still hurt way bad back then too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The craft swapping community! =] Check it out!
http://whoopdwhoop.com/

You can get my jawbone necklaces in my shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CavePunker
http://www.wists.com/JessySihk
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2010 01:00:39 PM »

Hey guys, let's please keep the chat craft related! If you want to discuss other things please head over to the Off-topic board. This is my last reminder for this topic, anymore and I will begin deleting replies. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010 01:01:30 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2010 02:06:05 PM »

Hey guys, let's please keep the chat craft related! If you want to discuss other things please head over to the Off-topic board. This is my last reminder for this topic, anymore and I will begin deleting replies. Thanks!

Sorry MareMare, I lost track of which board I was reading. I updated my message.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isnessofwhatis
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2010 02:42:19 AM »

I've got some flannel and I've got some terrycloth.  And most importantly I have my sewing machine back!!!  (it was in storage for over a year because I had a bad living situation and had to move around frequently until I got into a stable place)  I think I'm goint to make myself a few before my next cycle starts and test them out.  I was raised as a pad girl and recently also started using tampons in addition to pads to ease my anxiety about possible leaks.  (yes I have A LOT of anxiety issues)  So if these work really well for me I may be able to get rid of the tampons.  Plus I won't get the itchy nastyness of the plastic at the ends.  I looked into this sort of thing a few years ago and read a tip that you can trace the outline of a pad that works for you and use it as your template. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to swap ATC size "pillows" with my fellow teesha moore peeps.
lacey0828
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2010 06:57:14 AM »

I thought the idea was weird at first and just couldn't think about how that would affect me since my periods are so bad. But after reading everyone's comments, I think it's something I'll have to try once I become better at sewing. I love the patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2010 07:23:35 PM »

One of my exs used these and would wash them in the bathroom sink.

Her cat would lap at the ruddy water.

Which is why today, she is an ex, I hate cats, and I can't look at sinks in the same way.

Ladies: Men don't want to enjoy your period like that. We hate the environment *that much*.

Thats very funny ! and gross .. cats are yucky .. but if any one has a dog and a period ... Im sure they have had the inevitable " come home and fine the dog has gotten into the trash and now there are torn up pads all over your house " ( a real imbarasement when you have guests intering the house the some time as you .)

I think they are a good idea and the fabrics look great .. I would be to Afraid to use them ... Plus do they really wash out good ??... I'm afraid id use one one time and it would be a stained mess forever ... ( i have had "leaks" in cotton panties before and the stain was iremovable ...) those panties are in the trash ... more power to anyone who does use the cloth ones and I commend your love for the enviroment  Cheesy

How about when you are on a walk and it's the ONE TIME you forgot a poop bag and your dog poops out a tampon.
yeahhhhhh.
LOL

But seriously, I love this thread! I am a total tampon junkie, but I definitely have cloth pads for extra protection at night or on heavy days!
Also, I wanted to add that I have had some that snap closed, and some that velcro... to me, the velcro is FAR superior in staying power!
AND has anyone tried making these with a backing like an AIO diaper? (Like that swishy nylon?)
Just wondering if that might help stop leaking for some!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010 07:28:15 PM by snips and snails » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn a Wire Hanger Into a Cloth Hangers
How to Make a Camcorder Stabilizer
How to Make a Boutonniere
How to Make an Easy Friendship Bracelet
How to Make a Papier Mache Mask
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...