A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cloth pads=happy period  (Read 62704 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mikknits
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2008 12:39:30 AM »

I posted this picture of just a small part of my stash on another thread:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=18462.msg2754648#msg2754648  There are so many great things to say about using cloth and I must admit that the impact on the environment wasn't at the top of my list when I first started using them.  I was into them for the health benefits and the high level of comfort that they provide.  IMHO wearing snug fitting undies is important.  For those concerned about having to change the pads while out or at work, I carry my pads in a small, pretty cosmetic bag (they're usually lined in waterproof material) with a ziplock bag inside for soiled pads.  I wouldn't attempt to try rinsing them out in a public restroom and I know they'll keep until I get home.  I keep a lidded container in a bathroom cabinet at home with water, vinegar, and a touch of soap to soak my pads if needed, but I usually rinse well and throw in the washer with a load of clothes or hand wash and hang by the buttonhole from a hook in my shower.  There are even people who craft special pad pots! http://www.primalmommy.com/padpotpagebuilder.html
http://www.alyahs.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SP
My husband had a problem with them at first.  He was concerned about the sanitary issues but I explained to him that for the 20 years we've been together I've bled on my undies or clothing and have never thrown them away, but rather rinsed them out and washed them with our other clothes.  Neither have I thrown away our bedsheets or towels, etc.  I still don't think he's convinced but it doesn't deter me from using cloth pads.  My older son just asked that I put them away when his friends come over.  Since I share my sewing space and my laundry folding area with the kids' video games, I inevitably have the makings of some pads lying about.  Also, since I use mine every day instead of disposable panty shields, they're always around.  They seem to get better the more they're laundered.  I love how soft and comfy they are.  I wasn't a disposable pad user before because I hated how they felt so icky and smelly.  Now I have a hard time thinking about ever using tampons again.  I'm a completely self-taught sewer and have only been at it for a year.  These are simple to make and easy to customize.  I agree they're not everyone's cup of tea.  I didn't think I'd like them, and I don't...I LOVE them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucinda879
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2008 11:51:05 PM »

I've been on Depo for the past 8 years or so, so I haven't had my period in that amount of time. I don't miss it either, bleh. My sister, however, is really into stuff like this, but she doesn't sew. I think I'll make her some as a gift, maybe with a lined carry bag to go with them. These are so great, it almost makes me wish I had a period still..... ALMOST!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

genesistimes3
« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2009 01:51:03 PM »

Do you find that these actually stay in place? they kinda look they're just gonna swing around any which way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the60s
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2009 10:46:03 PM »

My partner has agreed to sew me up some cloth pads.
I can't wait!

Yours look great! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop!
♥*)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world
which is doing its best night and day
to make you everybody else,
means to fight the hardest battle
which any human being can fight
and never stop fighting."
E.E. Cummings
kjgrigsby
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2009 06:41:25 AM »

I want to make some of these and give them a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jv.catlady
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2009 05:39:02 PM »

This seems like such a great idea. Will have to go look for some
Hello Kitty fabric and try this out. My only concern is does the pad
move around since there is nothing underneath to hold in place
(sticky strip) and does it feel like there's a diaper between your legs
(flashback of the old thick pads back in the 80's). Sure hope this will
cure my "diaper rash" that doesn't seem to want to go away. Argh!
I'm new to this site, but just LOVE it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2010 06:38:38 AM »

This seems like such a great idea. Will have to go look for some
Hello Kitty fabric and try this out. My only concern is does the pad
move around since there is nothing underneath to hold in place
(sticky strip) and does it feel like there's a diaper between your legs
(flashback of the old thick pads back in the 80's). Sure hope this will
cure my "diaper rash" that doesn't seem to want to go away. Argh!
I'm new to this site, but just LOVE it.

They stick around just fine as long as your underwear isn't too loose fitting. You can hold them in place with wings and buttons/snaps but I've found it isn't needed for me. For one of my handmade ones I used an old kitchen towel for the bottom and the texture of it keeps it in place nicely. I'm also using simple square flannel ones that I fold and use and they stay put as long as they're long enough. They can move a little bit, but not more than the disposable sticky kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plummy
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2010 11:44:30 PM »

i've actually made my own pads, but out of dark brown fleece so i don't have to worry about staining or putting them in water or anything.  works like a charm, i just toss them in the laundry basket after each use!

i also do not use wings on mine, i find that they do not move around, even at night, and the lack of wings helps to eliminate some bulk. 

besides being eco-friendly and cheap, they are so much more comfy than the disposables!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
KristyDi
« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2010 12:07:44 PM »

I'm a convert.

I made myself several cloth pads using some flannel I had lying around from other projects and cut up an old bath towel for the absorbent inner layer.

I love them!  SO COMFY!  I've abandoned tampons completely.  I've also noticed a reduction in cramping.  With the exception of the 1st one I made that had 3 layers of cut up towel and is pretty bulky, my pads all have a single layer of towel and 4 layers of flannel.  I haven't come close to leaking through one yet.  My stash is pretty sparse right now because I have trouble sitting down and making several of anything at one time.  But every period I make myself a few more.  

On washing, I don't rinse or soak or anything.  I just toss the used pads in my daughter's diaper pail (we use cloth for her too) and wash with the diapers.  That means 1 cold cycle with no soap and 1 hot cycle with soap then dried in the machine.  After we're done with diapers I plan to keep a small pail in the bathroom and wash the pads either with towels or in their own very small load.  I honestly don't care if they stain a little since I'm the only one who will ever see them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 12:20:29 PM by KristyDi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people juggle geese.  -Hoban Washburn
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2010 12:50:53 PM »

Grin  Grin

And if you use a darker or brightly patterned flannel, the stains really don't show. That means of course, you'll start collecting flannels to make pads in different colors (blue = light weight, red is heavy, flowers are medium, green's your favorite color...) so the money you save on the disposables goes to the fabric store instead  Cheesy  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.3
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.4
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.4
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.3
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...