A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cloth pads=happy period  (Read 62374 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2007 04:47:09 PM »

i think they actually smell LESS than disposable.  anyone else notice that?

Aboslutely.  There has to be some sort of chemical reaction when the menstrual blood mixes with the plastics and chemicals they use in the cotton that causes disposable pads to give off an odd odor.  I mean, menstrual fluids have an odor all on their own, but it's much less severe when it is absorbed naturally.  Unfortunately, companies that manufacture feminine hygiene products have convinced women for decades that you should always smell like a daisy in you nether regions which is why there are so many proven harmful substances on the market that are supposed to eliminate "embarassing odor" such as sprays, douches, "feminine" cloths and scented maxi pads.  In other words, feminine "hygiene" is a misleading term.  Natural bodily functions are portrayed as unsanitary and unhygienic so we're instructed to cover them up with expensive and unhealthy products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2007 04:11:47 PM »

i want to try these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
devilninny

isnt he adorable?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2007 04:19:39 PM »

i want to try these!

you really SHOULD!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2007 10:11:42 AM »

HI
I have a question- What do you put inside of these so that it has something to soak up the..."bodily fluid" lol Grin
AND also, I think these are cool but for me its a hard sell as I mostly wear thongs, Is there a solution for this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2007 11:17:46 AM »

It's layers of flannel or towel or hemp or whatever obsorbant fabric that soaks things up.  Read through the thread, there's a lot of great information and links with even more information.

As far as wearing thongs with them, that's not going to work, your best bet I'm guessing would be a diva cup or something similar, or put into the Craftster search "Eco-flow Busters" a lady on here crocheted some reusable tampons and there's a huge thread about them, I'm not sure but I think she may have included a pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2007 06:14:06 PM »

lunapads makes a "lunapanty" thong with a built in pad, maybe you could try making a pad and sew it into a thong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
funkyhooker
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2007 11:29:12 PM »

I just had to chime in on this. 
I have PCOS so I rarely have a period.  When I do tho.... whoa nellie, is a monster!!!!!
I was really worried about the leak factor, the absorbancy, if they would stay put... all that jazz.
I made a few and stuffed them under the counter.  Well,,, a week ago the raging river came and I got to try them out.
OMG.  Why. In. The. World.  did women start BUYING period products?Huh  This is SO MUCH BETTER!!!
I would (am) bleed so much that I had "diaper rash" every time.  Well I've been flowing heavy for almost a week now and there is no sign of a rash.  I'm in good shape!
I would be changing traditional "overnights" at least bi-hourly if not hourly with this flow and I can go 3-4 hours with cloth.
I made my inserts with 3 layers of thin terry and a spiral of stitching for my heaviest flow.  Now I know that this was probably unnecessary but the insurance is nice!
I would encourage anyone, regardless of your situation (altho--- I'm boggled by the thong idea) to try this out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
hello vera

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2007 11:09:28 AM »

They look amazing,
you could match your pads to what your wearing that day!
Not to mention the benifit to the environment x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsaswedelife

Don't worry, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2007 03:15:33 PM »

As a survivor of Toxic Shock Syndrom, I have to rely on pads during my monthly vistor =/ Usually I would use disposable pads but I am now starting to use homemade ones...and I have finally have regular periods! Plus no cramps. These are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.whitingarts.ets y.com

"When a red hot man meets a white hot woman" - Queen
bigeyes
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2007 04:45:03 PM »

This is sort of OT, but I once met the original survivor of toxic shock.  Amazing, lovely lady.  Of course, all the women in her circle of friends were not a bit shy about discussing menstrual alternatives, but cloth pads didn't come up.

I wish I were still in contact.  I'd like to think she'd approve of the whole cloth pad movement. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Obtain Custom White Balance on a Fuji S3
How to use Calibration Targets
How to Clean the Digital Sensor on a Fuji S3
Learn about Bogen Roller Systems
Learn about Background Light Modifiers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...