A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,641
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cloth pads=happy period  (Read 62576 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , cloth_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DubeeGirl
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2010 03:46:32 PM »

I use a diva cup www.divacup.com because I was trying to cut down on my waste towards the environment but was finding that a liner was still needed, this will be great so that I can 100% cut all waste!! Thanks!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Uniquely_Ginger
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2010 07:58:43 AM »

Ok, after reading this entire post and all the replies, i am certain that i want to start using cloth pads like these. My problem is that i am a 15 year old girl who obviously still lives with her parents and the fact is, i doubt my parents will be okay with me making these and throwing these in the washing machine. What is a good way to hand wash them? i suppose i can make a little soak bucket and let the pads soak in there for a while, but i wont be able to machine wash them...any advice? what is the best way (and the way that kills the most bacteria) to wash these cloths?
thanks everyone Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2010 12:01:34 AM »

Are you sure your parents wouldn't let you wash them in washing machine? Maybe you should talk with your mother/parents first. After all, if you have blood stains on your clothes you wash them in the washing machine too, which isn't so different from washing pads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JessySihk
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2010 12:33:18 AM »

The way that kills the most bacteria is to microwave it like a sponge, bleach doesnt kill all the bacteria, so like a sponge that pad is almost just as bad, i would make it from cotton and flannel only so that microwaving is a possibility after you have hand scrubbed them really good.
People who only soak them and throw them in the washing machine, arent actually killing all of the bacteria that gets soaked into the pad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The craft swapping community! =] Check it out!
http://whoopdwhoop.com/

You can get my jawbone necklaces in my shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CavePunker
http://www.wists.com/JessySihk
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2010 09:03:16 AM »

Uniquely Ginger - could you keep it simple? You could put the pads in a separate bag (you don't have to soak them) and then do a small load just for the pads once a week or so? They might stain, but if the fabrics aren't very light colored, it won't be noticeable (that's one reason why mine are all bright colors or busy prints, they don't show stains Smiley )

THIS ROCKS   Logged

peace_piper
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2010 12:29:08 PM »

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I wanted to chime in about cloth pads because I love them so much.

I've seen a couple questions in this thread about "do they move", "do they feel like diapers" and I have to say no to both. I haven't yet made my own, but it's on my ever-growing project list, so I just bought a set about a year, maybe 2 years ago. I had heard of them before but thought "that's gross!" like so many here. Once I finally got started (and I had two to start, lol. One to wear while the other washed), my biggest regret was not starting sooner. They stay put even when I'm running, biking, walking or sitting around. And I do a lot of walking/biking as well, to the order of several miles a day. They also last a long time before they bleed through, even on my heaviest flow days, I was away from home for 8 hours before I could change and I still only spotted my undies a dot.

Do they feel like a diaper? No. Absolutely not. This is what sold me on the pads. I had always stuck to the ultra-thin plastic kind because I absolutely HATED wearing a pad and even ultra-thin felt like a diaper, moved like a diaper and shifted all around. Leaks were common. Anyway, cloth pads (forgive the obvious) feel like cloth. It just feels like wearing a normal set of underwear, even with a three layer thick pad. You just don't feel it, even with the thickness. That alone is why I'll never go back.

Still trying to convert many of the ladyfolk I know, whose criticisms fall between "It's dirty" and "I don't want to handle the laundering". Kinda ironic since my friends are all the no-shaving, hippie types.

Perhaps if I made them some, I could get them to go for it, since the startup cost is high. (I don't exactly remember, it's been a while since I bought pads, but I think it was around one pad = $12-15, and most women will need anywhere from 6-15.) It's hard to justify sewing more things when you already have more than you need and you're not sure if you could give them away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daydreaminhoney
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2012 12:58:12 PM »

I am very VERY interested after reading all 21 pages of this thread! HOWEVER, I am currently 11wks prego so won't be using them for a while. I was wondering what modifications would be needed to make post-baby pads, if any. I've also read somewhere about home made cloth nursing pads which would seem to be similar? Has anyone used or attempted either of these products?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkncamo
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2012 10:18:45 PM »

Wow..I have never even heard of cloth pads until now.  I never knew something like this existed.  I am very interested in trying these.  I guess I will be investing in a sewing machine soon! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2012 08:05:24 AM »

you don't need a sewing machine to make these. I made a whole bunch by handsewing. After they were cut, a thin one took maybe an hour, the thicker ones took a little longer. It's good TV-watching handwork  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mountains and Clouds
Tutorial Contributor

don't worry, be happy. for realz.

Mo' bettah you live Hawai`i

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #209 on: December 19, 2012 08:30:51 AM »

I love the idea of these... I'm not much of a sewist, but I think I'm going to try to make some after the holidays!
Hey, experienced people, do you think after scrubbing, it would work to disinfect by pouring boiling water over them?  Just trying to figure this out, but if it works, I'm sold!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.mountainsandclouds.com/stellas-trip-to-oahu.html
MY ADDRESS HAS CHANGED AS OF APRIL 2014.  PLEASE PM ME FOR AN UPDATE IF YOU NEED IT! : )
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Have We Been Washing Our Faces Wrong?
The Best Products for Contouring and Highlighting
How to Recycle Your Electric Toothbrush as a Facial Exfoliator
Cucumber Green Tea Puffy Eye Pads
How to Make a Red Wine Facial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...