A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FIBER FRIDAY! 1/5/07  (Read 4826 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bananasplit
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007 08:59:15 AM »

Flowerhead - You're not kidding!  I'm leaving right now to go buy hairpicks and clamps.  Literally.  Right now.  Out the door.

This may solve several problems I've been having iwth fibers.  Why didn't you guys tell me about this sooner?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007 09:19:28 AM »

I'm in super stealth mode for a non-craftster swap I'm doing so I can't post my spinning from this week. I can tell you all that it made my hands very blue [for some reason blue is the only dye that ever seems to come off on my hands. Weird.]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Lufah
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007 09:24:28 AM »

I've been in knitting mode this week, so no new yarn from me, but everyone else's is great!  I love grayling40's creamy yarn.  100bean, your yarns all look like they're made out of Playdoh!  Too cool.  As far as the hairpick hackles go, I used mine before Christmas to blend sparkle fiber evenly into my roving.  It worked great, since I was trying for the particular yarn I was doing to get a little bit of sparkle eveywhere in the yarn, as opposed to clumps of it here and there.  It's what keeps me going since I don't have a drum carder yet.  Smiley

eta:  Wait, I just realized that since I was knitting with my handspun, I can at least show an in progress photo of how the yarn is knitting up:

http://cidermoon.com/images/boswinkle.jpg

It's going to be (hopefully) a loose tank top kind of thing with skinny straps.  I've never knit anything like this before, so wish me luck.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011 03:03:36 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
madelinetosh
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007 09:34:54 AM »

Thanks goodness it is Friday.

Everything looks so good and I am glad we have new posts by new spinners, the addiction is spreading, yay!

Here is my favorite this week.

Technicolor Hand, dyed, carded and spun. This is made up of the domestic wool R.H. Lindsey Co. had on sale for six freakin bucks a pound. I checked yesterday and it is still that price!

So all the colors are hand dyed and carded with some great brown rovings I order from Brown Sheep. I heart Brown Sheep!!

I liked the way the browns muted the color instensity when I carded it in. I will have to try that again.

Hey is anyone celebrating Roc Day or Distaff Day this weekend?

GOOD LUCK Lufah!!

xo to everybody
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007 09:38:22 AM by madelinetosh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007 10:04:36 AM »

WOW lufah...that is AMAZING!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RepoRebo
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007 10:20:33 AM »

Quote from: madelinetosh

Hey is anyone celebrating Roc Day or Distaff Day this weekend?

I'm going to a Distaff Day celebration for the local spinning guild. I'm excited, I've never been to a guild meeting of any kind before! It's also their annual swap meet, so I'll probably get to pick up lots of lovely fiber for my wheel...hurry up, wheel!!!
Love that handspun too, madeline!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007 11:05:30 AM by RepoRebo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bloodyraven
aka Parthenia

aka Parthenia

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007 10:59:47 AM »

Wow, you guys have certainly set the year off to a great start! 

Lufah - I love those colours.  That must be a gorgeous yarn.

misshawklet - Those sparkle fibers are really pretty.  Is that nylon?  They go really well with the colour  of that yarn.

Obsessed Knitter - Do you find using the hackle easy?  I've been meaning to try making one for a while.

One of my wishes for the new year is to spin more, and so far it's been going pretty well.  I'll be posting my week's spinning a bit later, once I take pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Parthenia

How about a dyeing techniques board?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=70328.0
bloodyraven
aka Parthenia

aka Parthenia

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007 11:59:17 AM »

Here are my offerings for this week:

Deep Water

I dyed some white and black wool mill ends as roving, and then spun two bobbins of singles.  I navajo-plied both bobbins (to keep the black seperate), for 2 skeins of 3-ply yarn.  I'm hoping that it will be mostly blue with a few black stripes when it's knit up.

Specifics:

Skein 1 - 2.0 oz/58 g
Skein 2 - 2.5 oz/73 g

100% wool, dyed with acid dyes
worsted-light bulky weight
spinning/plying: 5 h total

And another in progress:

Grey mill ends spun into a thin single.  I'm going to spin another bobbin of singles, and then make a 2-ply.  I don't know if I'm going to dye it or not.

This bobbin is 4.7 oz/133 g.  I find that I'm getting much better at keeping my spinning consistent, while going faster.  This bobbin took 2 h.

I notice that some of you post yardages with your skeins.  I have a scale, so the weight isn't hard to find, but how do you know the length?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Parthenia

How about a dyeing techniques board?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=70328.0
misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007 12:00:57 PM »

thank you!  I'm not sure what angelina is made from...its some crazy manmade super light reflective fiber. 

Here are my other yarns!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

flwrhead
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007 12:02:56 PM »

Yay!  It stopped raining so I could take pictures when I went home for lunch.  Does anyone else feel like a photo editor for Southern Living when you're "posing" your yarn for its "shoot"?  Ha!

Superwash merino from Hello Yarn, spun and navajo plied by me.  Glaring errors in the close-up, blech.

Leicester/rambouillet I got from a guild member and dyed in my new turkey roaster (definitely the way to go).  My son named this Wet Cheetos.   Undecided

Lastly, my favorite.  4-6 oz. (?) Falkland (?) (I've GOT to start writing this stuff down!), dyed by me and two plied because I wanted it soft and airy.  445 yards, people!  Woot!  18 wpi, so I've FINALLY made laceweight (according to icanspin).  Yippee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Guy Attempts to Follow a Glitter Eyeshadow Tutorial
7 Important Beauty Tips for Summer
Limited Edition: Modern Mermaid Unboxing!
Brazil Flag Nail Art Tutorial
Easy Makeup Tricks for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...