A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need to make a portfolio to carry my art.. HELP!  (Read 652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wildfyre
« on: January 04, 2007 07:31:58 PM »

I just started art 101 and we have to make or buy a portfolio to carry our art in. It has to be 24" by 18" and waterproof (I live in rainy Seattle).
Does anyone have any ideas?
I thought about using coroplast because it's waterproof.. but it's kind of expensive..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
sarah_1980
tallpoppycraft.com

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007 05:04:49 PM »

You could also use vinyl or pleather (leather look vinyl).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah
http://www.tallpoppycraft.com
Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
crafting in my cave
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007 05:22:43 PM »

Oh, I wish I kept mine from art school. I would've sent it to you. My grandmother made me a gi-normous "tote" for my cardboard portfolio. She used to sew vinyl upholstry and had miles of this brown vinyl. Anyway, since I don't have that and grandma has passed away...and we still found more brown vinyl...consider this option:

You probably already have one of those black bookboard-type portfolios with a few dinky strings on the sides. Make yourself a huge tote bag with either a zipper across the top (you can find long sports zippers, which are easy to open and close) or use velcro to make a flap. I suggest having two sets of handles -- one long set that will go over your shoulder when you carry the tote; the other short ones that when you have it over your shoulder, you can grab onto the handle (which will be about mid-way up). This is so that because if you think about it, the easiest way to carry your 18x24 pad is under your arm; otherwise you'll have a tote that you're going to be dragging on the ground, unless you're really tall, or you'll be tilting sideways to balance.

I would also suggest adding a few pockets on the outside. For keys/wallet and some of your lighter drawing/painting materials. Mine was actually big enough to carry a 48" T-square on the diagonal. Grandma made the pocket the same size as the bag, but then everything ended up sinking to the bottom of the bag.

If you use a drawing board to hold your paper pad, be sure to make it to that size. You might even want to pad the top of the shoulder straps if you think it's going to get heavy, so that it doesn't dig into your shoulders.

As for fabric, look at the home dec section of the fabric store for outside tablecloth material. It's plastic/vinyl on one side and usually some brushed-cotton stuff on the other. And it should be easy to sew.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
weeta
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007 05:30:36 PM »

someone posted this a while back, covered with duct tape - waterproof, although you'd have to use vinyl or something for the sides, the ones in the link are fabric.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=132902.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 03:23:05 PM »

i was actualy just thinking of ways to make myself a portfolio for when i go off to school in september i have a propper black one for my interview and stuff but i thought something a little different would be fun for less formal use. i'm absoloutly in love with these book purses everyone makes and they are super simple and really uniqe and fun but also look very classy and profesional. so i was thinking of making a portfolio out of those really really big hardcovers you can get (alot of times you can get atlases, large children's books and sometimes even art books that are just enormous) and basicly using the same principal as the book purses to create a portfolio. in my experience with smaller book purses i've found them to be incredibly durrable and  think they would deffinatly hold up to the wear and tear a portfolio may or may not recieve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
runyerpockets77

I'm Mean Looking.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 10:05:46 PM »

So I am taking an art class & was in this same situation.

I simply took a bicycle box (they can give you one at bike shops) or any other large box and cut it.  Its as long as the front & back & then leave about 5-7 inches for a flap.  Score where folds need to be & VOILA!  I swear its soooooo sturdy.  I've taken it in the rain, its been dropped, walked on, I've walked into walls with it, all kinds of stuff & virtually no damage.  To make it a bit more water proof just paint it with house paint.  To fasten it I made a handle at the top & Velcro under the flap.  And be sure to cover all the raw, cut edges with tape, cardboard is VERY sharp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NeffyTee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007 02:36:28 PM »

Use a heavy nylon.  You can find it at many fabric stores.  If the nylon is more medium weight than interface it with some fleece to keep your work from getting damaged.  Have you shopped around for prices?  I purchased my portfolio case from Utrecht for 20.00 and its pretty large.  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[http://www.neffy.etsy.com]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Rhubarb and White Chocolate Muffins
Foolproof Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
How to Make Batman Cupcake Toppers
How to Make Captain America Cupcake Toppers
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Brie Grilled Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...