A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help make me a pin-up girl! (2/12 - some pics)  (Read 13995 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RachOfTheJungle
« on: January 04, 2007 06:51:04 PM »

(I deleted the old message I had written for brevity's sake, since the pictures are now taken and the replies giving advice/suggestions speak for themselves.)

If you haven't read this thread before, I wanted to take pinup pictures for my old-school 40s-50s loving boyfriend. Search for the artist Gil Elvgren if you want to see what I was going for.

Several people suggested making a whole calendar's worth and getting one custom printed up, so I took enough pics to do so! I shopped thrift stores and took all the great advice here to make myself into a passable pinup.

ON TO THE UPDATE!

UPDATE 2/4/06:

I took all the pics today! It took FIVE HOURS!!! I had 3 friends help me. They are saints. Goddesses among women! It's their eye for makeup, pose, and photography that made these worthwhile!

Anyway, these shots are all pre-photoshop. We intend on adding in a minimalist background to most of them, just like the old paintings. I'll be sure to post here when I get some of them fixed up.

Here are a few of my favorites:

this one is based on the original painting below it:

For this one I will be photoshopped onto the hood of a 50s hotrod.

We originally shot about 250 pictures of 11 poses/outfits. There are about 40 or so that we've narrowed down to the final calendar-worthy pictures. You can see where I started off (housewife) and where we finally got into the groove (knitting, drawing, and the leggy one).

Let me know what you guys think! I'd be happy to hear feedback and suggestions for what I should fix up/put in the background.

And THANK YOU to everyone who has given advice so far. I was so inspired by everyone's suggestions.

UPDATE 2/12/07:

I just took some of the more "leggy" ones out after another unrelated thread about faces in craftster pictures brought to my attention that sexy pics (however PG/retro/crafty in nature) might stir up some opposition if on the slim chance my employer or patrons of where I work saw 'em.

I know it's a little paranoid, but the world is a crazy place Sad

Besides, I figure by now all of you who gave me great advice earlier and asked for pics have seen them.

I'll post some select G-rated finished photos along with tutorials and some condensed advice under the misc. completes sometime soon. Thanks again!

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/thegreatpinupproject/

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007 09:25:53 PM by RachOfTheJungle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 06:57:55 PM »

Fun!!

Do you own pencil skirts, button up blouses, waist cinches, heels or any pin up style clothes.

If you have a pencil skirt you can wear that with a button up shirt, not buttoned up all of the way with a belt. And don't forget heels!

Lingerie, bustles, fascinators, feathers... You can make pasties, super easy. Use feathers and it will hide your boobies if you are shy.

I think a picture of you crafting in something really sexy would be hot.

Here are some ideas for props that I have made.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=142329.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=126418.0

If you don't have a pencil skirt, safety pin one so it is tight. Don't shoot from the back. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 07:04:49 PM »

Inspiration:

http://www.katespinups.com/html/free_pics.php
http://www.heidivanhorne.com/PinUpHome.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 07:13:16 PM »

PinkMafia you are the best!

The pencil skirt/blouse idea is great, I don't even have to buy extra clothes!

Maybe I could do a sexy student or teacher pose, hee hee hee

Keep the advice coming, ladies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
marleah
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 07:20:38 PM »

Ok, I am officially watching this post! Vintage style pinups are the best. I believe there is a "Make Me a Pinup" (or something like that) swap around here somewhere, so you may be able to get some ideas from that. Put your hair in some big rollers to get those nice waves. Since you mentioned you like to read, for a really cute (well, hot) pose, you could sit on the floor surrounded by a bunch of books, reading one of them with some "librarian" type glasses down on the end of your nose ... It would go really well with the pencil skirt/blouse idea. I'll keep thinking. This is so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 07:49:32 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=141544.0

Your welcome.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i_squared_u

hurray for right angles!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 07:55:20 PM »

Oddly enough, I was looking at Immodesty Blaize's website ( immodestyblaize.com/). She's pretty much Britain's answer to Dita Von Teese. Anyhoo, aside from the nipple tassels and feathers  Grin she got quite a few pictures of her in fully-dressed etc that just ooze modern-day 50s pin-up (oxymoron?). Maybe you could have a look there or at other burlesque stars in their "I'm going to the supermarket" clothes for some more inspiration?

I had a rockabilly phase (I was aiming for a black version of Rizzo from Grease) Grin a few years ago. So I say rummage in thrift stores for a great pair of vintage heels. I picked a great faux-vintage velvet Seychelles pair when I was in the states last year. Dead cheap too.

Make sure you flash a bit of leg, so have stockings with seams. Fishnet ones will probably up the sauciness too.

You'll have to tweak the pose and photoshopping in order to stop the pics looking seedy.

As for clothing, I say thrift stores are probably your best bet for authentic looking fabrics and styles. But that can be hit or miss, so you might just wanna start from scratch. Perhaps make a flirtatious circle/pencil skirt and buy a snuggly-fitting blouse (i.e gingham) that you can tuck in and team up with cute accessories?

Hope that helps a little.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007 04:42:14 AM by i_squared_u » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beforecast

I've had too much to think.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 08:30:13 PM »

For hair and makeup:

Hair:  
         1. Pin your hair back into a low bun, with "wisps" framing your face.
         2. A French twist is sleek, stylish, classic, and most importantly, sexy.
        3. There is an old movie star named Veronica Lake who had a trademark hairstyle in the 40's.  Her picture is here...
http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img1177.jpg

Makeup::  
Skin: Apply concealer to any blemishes, and then apply a mineral powder lightly to even out your skin tone.  Make sure that these products match your skin!  For blush, I would suggest using a gel, because it stays on forever, doesn't melt, and looks more natural.  A good blush is the one made by Tarte...its kind of expensive, but trust me, it lasts FOREVER, and it looks gorgeous on skin.  I have also noticed that Revlon has come out with a gel blush, but I haven't tried it and cannot attest to how well it works or how much it costs.  One thing...when selecting your blush, don't be intimidating on the color in the package.  It will look super intense, but it's amazingly sheer once you put it on.  When you apply your blush, smile, apply the blush to the apples of your cheeks, and blend out towards your temples.  Make sure you blend so that it looks like your blushing, not like you have pink stripes on your face.
Eyes: I would suggest using black liquid eyeliner to line ONLY THE TOP rims of your eyes.  Extend the line approximately 1/4 of an inch past the outer corner of your eye.  You eyelashes are VERY crucial, the need to be very very black and very very thick!  I would suggest using my personal favorite, L'oreal Voluminous Mascara in Blackest Black.  False eyelashes are another option, if you really want to get into it.  If you would like to make your eyes appear larger, apply a white eyeliner or shadow to the inner corners of your eyes, and then BLEND--you want to make skin there appear lighter, but you DO NOT want it to look like you actually have makeup there.  Also, you can apply a light grey shadow to your lids and a darker grey (but not black) shadow to your creases to make your eyes appear deeper.  Another EXTRA thing you can do is to apply a shadow slightly lighter than your skin tone with some shimmer in it to your brow bones.
Lips:  For a truly 40's look, pick a red lipstick (blue red, not orange red).  Apply the lipstick, blot with a tissue then apply it again.  To make your lips appear fully, dot a clear gloss in the center of your bottom lip.

Wow...I can't believe I know that much about makeup...

Another suggestion is going to a local vintage shop and buying one of those really small hats that are on a head-band type thing.  You could wear it cock-eyed on your head in one of your pictures.

If you would like anything to be explained further, just ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007 09:00:24 PM »

Hot rollers worked really well on my fine, wavy-ish, shoulder-length hair when I dressed in mid-1940s garb several times a few years back.  When I first took the rollers out, the curls were tight and kinky, but they softened out with brushing and stayed put all day (no easy feat on my head).  I could keep my hair curly or brush it into definite waves, and it looked spot-on when I pinned back one side.  I am not good with my hair, but with hot rollers and a lot of "product," I got a look a lot like the women at the barbecue and the easel.  Hot rollers are similar--but so much quicker--than the "sleep in pincurls or rollers" method women actually used then.

You should be able to get good stuff at thrift stores, but only if you really know what you're looking for.  Look at a lot of pinup/movie star photos from that time period and know the look you're going for before you shop.  It doesn't have to be vintage to look right, because there's a lot of newer stuff that mimics the old--you just have to be able to know it when you see it.  Knowledgeable vintage clothing store owners can be a lot of help, but much more expensive.

And definitely find the right shade of deep red lipstick for you.  It's totally necessary!

And just a bit of commentary:  Anyone else notice how the woman in the later picture (late '60s?) has totally different legs than the others?  They're stick-straight, without a hint of the strong calves the others have.  Hmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007 09:05:53 PM »

HairYour hair is perfect length for that. If you look at the photos, most girls have curly hair (hot rollers or curlers). You can also pull it into a pony tail.

Makeup
stick with classics. Black eyeliner, soft red lipstick and neutral other makeup (no loud blush, etc).

Costume
The easiest costume could be a short circle skirt to show off legs http://robynwerlich.typepad.com/discovering_life/images/circle_skirt.jpg
 and a fitted, tight sweater. http://www.lanaturneronline.com/Sweater%20Girl.jpg

A belt could add a nice touch. Wear high heels to show off your legs.
If you want to show a little leg, use a garter belt and stockings. Most men love them. Stockings come down mid-thigh, so even that will show with some modesty.

Pose
I think the most important thing about this is 1) pick an activity that's representative of your hobbies, something that's very "you" to him.
2) Most of the girls either have their skirts caught on something, or held up.
3) I've be perusing other Gil works and most have a surprised or happy look on their faces. You can almost hear them go "ooh!" If you're going for surprised. Make the sound and that look is perfect. Or just smile. One thing that's really endearing about his work is that the girls look very sweet and nice, nice smiles.

Hope some of this helped.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brando Skyhorse Reveals His Favorite Movie
Author Erin Downing Offers Advice to Writers
Novelist Joe Monninger Has Some Advice for Writers
Author Susan Piver Discusses the Wisdom of a Broken Heart
Where Marcelo Gleiser Wants to Be In the World
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...