A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen cabinet suggestions!  (Read 808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stacybee
« on: January 03, 2007 08:07:20 AM »

Help!  Ugly kitchen cabinets.  Well, they're not so much ugly as just boring.  They already have about 18 coats of paint on them, so I'm not convinced that I want to paint them again.  Another downside is that it's eggshell paint, so it's sort of a pain to strip as well. 

My only thought so far is to decoupage an old food/drink advertisements (I was thinking european art-deco, the boy is thinking old American like Hershey's) in each square and possibly paint the surrounding border red (it's red under the cabinets now with yellow on all of the walls, although in the picture it's still wallpapered ugly).

Soooo... opinions on that, or any other ideas as to what I could do with them?  The doors to each one are one big piece going all the way to the ceiling.

update: I found a picture of the kitchen since I have taken it over... maybe this will help a bit.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007 09:03:44 AM by stacybee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shimmer413

i'm a non-monotasker.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 08:30:48 AM »

Changing out the handles for some retro-cool ones would always be a quick and easy addition to the re-design!  Good luck on your project!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i like to dabble in it all... curiosity keeps me crafty.

my blog: paper + stitch
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 08:33:57 AM »

Those are great cabinets, what a fun project.
I might recommend, if you opt for decoupage, to decoupage a piece of cardboard or matboard that fits into the center panel.  Then if you sell the house or want to change the decor later, you won't have to strip out the ads.

I've seen some cool cabinets where they put tin in the center openings, but that could be a much more modern look than you were after.

Just a coat of paint and changing out the handles will give a much fresher look.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacybee
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007 09:06:55 AM »

Those are great cabinets, what a fun project.
I might recommend, if you opt for decoupage, to decoupage a piece of cardboard or matboard that fits into the center panel.  Then if you sell the house or want to change the decor later, you won't have to strip out the ads.

I've seen some cool cabinets where they put tin in the center openings, but that could be a much more modern look than you were after.

Just a coat of paint and changing out the handles will give a much fresher look.  Good luck!

I *love* the tin idea, actually!!  I do plan on replacing the cabinets with new within the next couple of years (before we sell, althought I don't think we will be selling for a while), but until then something needs to be done.  I may have to try the tin though!  Can you get large sheets of tin at Lowe's/Home Depot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007 09:13:17 AM »

I *love* the tin idea, actually!!  I do plan on replacing the cabinets with new within the next couple of years (before we sell, althought I don't think we will be selling for a while), but until then something needs to be done.  I may have to try the tin though!  Can you get large sheets of tin at Lowe's/Home Depot?
Yes, and you can get it cut there too if you don't have the right tools.  They'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to do it at home though, from safety, to cutting to adhesives.

A basic guide:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_kitchens/article/0,2037,DIY_13925_3552641,00.html

You can also punch them if you want an old school look, like this: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_kitchen_bath_counters/article/0,1797,HGTV_3745_1372775,00.html

If you use shiny metal, they can look really modern!  Also: magnetic!  So you can always add those ads you like with magnets, and change them out at your leisure.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitten91303
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007 03:42:47 PM »

I saw a episode of trading spaces a couple years ago where they cut out the centers of the doors and put in the plastic sheets that are used to cover florecent lighting. The sheets come in lots of patterns and looked like frosted glass when they were done. My cabinets are beyond repair or facelift but that was a cheap idea that's always stuck with me. Hope it turns out well!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007 04:10:35 PM »

I saw a post earlier today where someone had made a toy kitchen out of their old tv stand for htier daughter.  THey had used silver contact paper that looked alot like stainless steel to face parts of it.  I love the tin idea too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Seared Duck Breast - Food Done Right
How to Make a Stir Fry Meal
How to Make Yakitori
How to Make Pad Thai - Thai Foodcast:
Learn About Traditional Indian Food
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...