A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Epi-Pen Caddy with pattern  (Read 33587 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 04, 2007 04:41:28 PM »

Anyone who has to carry an Epi-Pen knows that they can be a pain in the ass. They fall to the bottom of your purse and hide there. But of course when you don't want it, its always right there in the way. not to mention the ugliness.

All the cases on the market are solid black or bright red. The black ones get lost in bags and the red ones can't be carried on thier own because they just scream 'I'm a walking medical emergency! Fear me!' (I'm just a tad melo-dramatic). Anyway, I was sick of my current boring carrying case that always seems to be burried in my purse but never around when I need to find it, so I knit up a new one. It has a draw string made of yarn so that it can be broken if needed in an emergency and a pocket just large enough to hold a small baggie with some anti-histamine and/or oral steroids.

This is it open. Inside the tube is a sheet of paper with all the infomation a paramedic would need. It fits snuggly around the epi-pen but still lets its slip out easily. The pocket is near the top. You can barely see it in this picture but its more obvious on the actual caddy.

This is what is looks like closed. The pocket is easier to spot in this one.

I used Eco-Fill Recycled yarn. Its a 25% acyrlic, 75% cotton yarn. Animal fibres should never be used for a caddy since many people with life-threatening allergies also have fibre allergies/sensitivities. People like me. -sigh- no felting for me Sad. Cotton blends are the best since they can be washed easily. Bright colours are good for easy location in an emergency.

You'll also need size 5 DPNs and a yarn needle.

Pattern:

Gauge: 2"= 12 stitch and 15 rows. Gauge is pretty important since it doesn't stretch very much.

CO 23 stitchs on 3 or 4 DPNs and connect. The whole project is knit in the round (except the pocket)
rows 1-51: knit. It should measure 7"
Row 52: K1, K2tog* till end. 12 stitches remain (corrected! I orginally wrote 22 by accident. Its 12 stitches remaining at this point. Thanks Cougar1 for pointing out that I made a mistake)
Row 53: knit
Row 54: K2tog. 6 stitches remain. BO loosely.
Turn in side out and sew close. weave ends in.

Pocket:
CO 10.
Knit in Stockinette for 12 rows. BO and weave ends in

Finishing:
Sew the pocket 1.5" from the top. It should fit fairly tightly to the caddy so the meds can't slip out accidently.

Using 6'8" of yarn weave in and out every 2 rows to create a draw string. Use a yarn that can be snapped in an emergency.You don't want the epi-pen to be trapped inside the caddy because it got knotted. Velcro, a snap or a button can be used instead if you like. I'm just lazy and had sewing on fasteners

The pattern as written will hold one Epi-pen, Epi-pen jr, or twin-jet auto injectors. If you, or the person you are making it for carry two epi-pens, add 15 st to the cast-on and an extra 5 rows to the top so both injectors will fit in a single cady.

Tips:

You can sew on an I-code wrist strap on to make it a grab and go caddy.

sew an red cross, or the word Epi-Pen on the outside so anyone would reconize it as a medical device.

If you have of know a child who has to have an epi-pen kept in a central location at school a unique caddy with the childs name sewn on to it can help it be idenified quickly, can help save precious seconds. 

a slip of paper containing your name, DOB, medical specfics (including allergies, conditions and medications), Allergists and family doctors name and number and emergency contact information should be kept with every epi-pen in case an allergic reaction happens while you are on your own. That is all the info a paramedic will need if you are unconscious or unable to speak.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 12:45:05 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
fizzle7033
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 04:44:42 PM »

As someone who is forced to carry one of these ugly things I thank you!  I am going to make one up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!

Current swaps

Letter and a Craft
Dragon Swap
Owl Swap
Little Visitor VI
Little Visitor VII
starlight1221
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 05:35:11 PM »

This is awesome!  I have to carry too - peanut allergy.  This cheered me up too because it's been a bad allergy day, just found out Pizza Hut's sauces are now listed as having peanut on the pizza hut website Sad

Would you mind if I linked to this on the peanutallergy.com forums?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 06:04:26 PM »

I'm so glad you guys find the pattern useful! I was a little scared that my pattern would be snickered at lol.

Would you mind if I linked to this on the peanutallergy.com forums?

I don't mind at all! If anyone over there has a question they can email me at kitkatkay63 [at] hotmail.com. That goes for anyone here too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
-Cougar1
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 08:00:33 PM »

Thank you so much for the wonderful pattern...will sure come in handy.  I did have one question...shouldn't these last few rows read like this in order to get down to 6 sts:
Row 52: K1, *K2tog, repeat from * to end (22 sts) __
Row 53: Knit __
Row 54: *K2tog, repeat from * around (11 sts) __
Row 55: K1, *K2tog, repeat from * to end (6 sts)  __
(and would there be another knit row between 54 and 55 or not?)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007 08:11:37 PM by -Cougar1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 08:11:48 PM »

yes you are right. Sorry bout that. Row 54 shoud be K1, K2tog. I'm going to blame that lapse in proof reading on the 56 pages of reading i had to do lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
-Cougar1
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 08:12:53 PM »

You must have been posting when I was modifying what I meant...I think I am too tired to be reading LOL...think I'll go to bed LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshineknits
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 10:39:21 PM »

right on!
i'm allergic to yellow jackets Tongue
what a brilliant idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.  (1922-2007)
creature
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007 10:43:20 PM »

I was just looking at that yarn in walmart and trying to decide what I could make with it. This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007 06:33:51 AM »

Michela, that is awesome! My cousin's little girl has major nut allergies, and so does my former boss' cousin. I need to go get some of that yarn and knit epi pen carriers for them both now! THANK YOU!! mwah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brown Sugar-Soy Sauce Marinated Chicken Kebabs Recipe
Sauteed Marinated Kebab Vegetables and Fruits Recipe
Budget Friendly Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Egg in the Nest Breakfast Recipe
Join the Club Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...