A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Epi-Pen Caddy with pattern  (Read 34873 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 04, 2007 04:41:28 PM »

Anyone who has to carry an Epi-Pen knows that they can be a pain in the ass. They fall to the bottom of your purse and hide there. But of course when you don't want it, its always right there in the way. not to mention the ugliness.

All the cases on the market are solid black or bright red. The black ones get lost in bags and the red ones can't be carried on thier own because they just scream 'I'm a walking medical emergency! Fear me!' (I'm just a tad melo-dramatic). Anyway, I was sick of my current boring carrying case that always seems to be burried in my purse but never around when I need to find it, so I knit up a new one. It has a draw string made of yarn so that it can be broken if needed in an emergency and a pocket just large enough to hold a small baggie with some anti-histamine and/or oral steroids.

This is it open. Inside the tube is a sheet of paper with all the infomation a paramedic would need. It fits snuggly around the epi-pen but still lets its slip out easily. The pocket is near the top. You can barely see it in this picture but its more obvious on the actual caddy.

This is what is looks like closed. The pocket is easier to spot in this one.

I used Eco-Fill Recycled yarn. Its a 25% acyrlic, 75% cotton yarn. Animal fibres should never be used for a caddy since many people with life-threatening allergies also have fibre allergies/sensitivities. People like me. -sigh- no felting for me Sad. Cotton blends are the best since they can be washed easily. Bright colours are good for easy location in an emergency.

You'll also need size 5 DPNs and a yarn needle.

Pattern:

Gauge: 2"= 12 stitch and 15 rows. Gauge is pretty important since it doesn't stretch very much.

CO 23 stitchs on 3 or 4 DPNs and connect. The whole project is knit in the round (except the pocket)
rows 1-51: knit. It should measure 7"
Row 52: K1, K2tog* till end. 12 stitches remain (corrected! I orginally wrote 22 by accident. Its 12 stitches remaining at this point. Thanks Cougar1 for pointing out that I made a mistake)
Row 53: knit
Row 54: K2tog. 6 stitches remain. BO loosely.
Turn in side out and sew close. weave ends in.

Pocket:
CO 10.
Knit in Stockinette for 12 rows. BO and weave ends in

Finishing:
Sew the pocket 1.5" from the top. It should fit fairly tightly to the caddy so the meds can't slip out accidently.

Using 6'8" of yarn weave in and out every 2 rows to create a draw string. Use a yarn that can be snapped in an emergency.You don't want the epi-pen to be trapped inside the caddy because it got knotted. Velcro, a snap or a button can be used instead if you like. I'm just lazy and had sewing on fasteners

The pattern as written will hold one Epi-pen, Epi-pen jr, or twin-jet auto injectors. If you, or the person you are making it for carry two epi-pens, add 15 st to the cast-on and an extra 5 rows to the top so both injectors will fit in a single cady.

Tips:

You can sew on an I-code wrist strap on to make it a grab and go caddy.

sew an red cross, or the word Epi-Pen on the outside so anyone would reconize it as a medical device.

If you have of know a child who has to have an epi-pen kept in a central location at school a unique caddy with the childs name sewn on to it can help it be idenified quickly, can help save precious seconds. 

a slip of paper containing your name, DOB, medical specfics (including allergies, conditions and medications), Allergists and family doctors name and number and emergency contact information should be kept with every epi-pen in case an allergic reaction happens while you are on your own. That is all the info a paramedic will need if you are unconscious or unable to speak.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 12:45:05 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
fizzle7033
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 04:44:42 PM »

As someone who is forced to carry one of these ugly things I thank you!  I am going to make one up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!

Current swaps

Letter and a Craft
Dragon Swap
Owl Swap
Little Visitor VI
Little Visitor VII
starlight1221
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 05:35:11 PM »

This is awesome!  I have to carry too - peanut allergy.  This cheered me up too because it's been a bad allergy day, just found out Pizza Hut's sauces are now listed as having peanut on the pizza hut website Sad

Would you mind if I linked to this on the peanutallergy.com forums?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 06:04:26 PM »

I'm so glad you guys find the pattern useful! I was a little scared that my pattern would be snickered at lol.

Would you mind if I linked to this on the peanutallergy.com forums?

I don't mind at all! If anyone over there has a question they can email me at kitkatkay63 [at] hotmail.com. That goes for anyone here too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
-Cougar1
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 08:00:33 PM »

Thank you so much for the wonderful pattern...will sure come in handy.  I did have one question...shouldn't these last few rows read like this in order to get down to 6 sts:
Row 52: K1, *K2tog, repeat from * to end (22 sts) __
Row 53: Knit __
Row 54: *K2tog, repeat from * around (11 sts) __
Row 55: K1, *K2tog, repeat from * to end (6 sts)  __
(and would there be another knit row between 54 and 55 or not?)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007 08:11:37 PM by -Cougar1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 08:11:48 PM »

yes you are right. Sorry bout that. Row 54 shoud be K1, K2tog. I'm going to blame that lapse in proof reading on the 56 pages of reading i had to do lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
-Cougar1
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 08:12:53 PM »

You must have been posting when I was modifying what I meant...I think I am too tired to be reading LOL...think I'll go to bed LOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshineknits
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 10:39:21 PM »

right on!
i'm allergic to yellow jackets Tongue
what a brilliant idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.  (1922-2007)
creature
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007 10:43:20 PM »

I was just looking at that yarn in walmart and trying to decide what I could make with it. This is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007 06:33:51 AM »

Michela, that is awesome! My cousin's little girl has major nut allergies, and so does my former boss' cousin. I need to go get some of that yarn and knit epi pen carriers for them both now! THANK YOU!! mwah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
stevesgal
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007 09:59:01 AM »

I also have to carry an Epi-pen (idiopathic anaphylaxis)  I will make one tonight.  thank you for the, well everything.  The only thing that I am going to add is I am going to embroider "Epi-pen" on the outside in a really contrasting color just in case I am unable to function so anyone looking for my info will know what it is and hopefully use it. 
Thanks tons.  Stay safe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007 11:27:42 AM »

Just letting everyone know that I corrected a smalll mistake at row 52.

I'm so glad everyone like the pattern/idea. I'm contemplating make them to sell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
capnhonolulu
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007 03:00:57 PM »

Just an aside: If you do have a disorder that might require a medic/other person to help you if you can't talk to them, it's a really good idea to get a MedicAlert Card/necklace/bracelet.  It is sorta the same as having a piece of paper with your info but is more offical and medics know about it an will (hopefully) look for it. Plus they aren't all ugly, you can get them with pretty beads/charms etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tom-Kat
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007 11:37:04 AM »

Brilliant Idea.
I don't have any allergies but I volunteer as an EMT, and nothing is more fustrating then being unable to find someone's medicine that they need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

duct tape is like the force. There's a light side, and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.
caflygrl
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007 08:37:18 AM »

This is so great! My epi-pen is so huge... I heard somewhere that they make some as key chains??

I'll admit it looks a bit... x-rated... when in the case... hehehe... anyhow, I love it! I, too, suffer from peanut allergies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007 08:52:07 AM »

That's a great idea!  Thank God my little brother has grown out of most of his severe allergies. 

Admission:  I did snicker a little in my head when I saw it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
milwjamie
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007 09:06:01 AM »

That's awesome!!! My sister got an epi pen a few months back when she had this freaky allergy to "something" (we still don't know what) that made her throat start to close up. I am SO making her one of these!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michela

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007 10:44:54 AM »

ah yes the freaky mystery allergy. I had one of those for years until one day i bit in to a pepper pod and my throat swelled shut. mystery solved.

I will admit the cady does look um... phalic in shape. Its kinda un avoidable since the damn epi-pen case is actually shaped like that. its not so obvious on the old style pens. The ones that come in that flimsy plastic tub that cracks at the top of a hat with the metal lid. I think they still use that one in the states but up here in canda we have the spiffy new ones with hard plastic, east off lids and a piece of metal in the base to bend the used needle on. The result is a rounded off cylidner that looks like a 'grown-up' toy...

If you do a stright seam on the bottom instead of the K2tog reduction thing its not as obvious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007 06:02:35 PM »

I really want to make this for one of my students who had the most terrible nut allergy I've ever heard of, but I couldn't find the yarn you used online to find out the weight of it. Is it sock weight? And what size needles to you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Jane2
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007 06:46:39 PM »

fluffymonkey;

I'll just jump in before Michela gets back to answer your question.
In the beginning she said, "I used Eco-Fil Recycled yarn. Its a 25% acrylic, 75% cotton yarn."
(I thought it was just me being computer-dumb when I couldn't find Eco-Fil yarn online.)

What she didn't say was where she got it from.
I've only ever seen it at Walmart - here in Canada anyway.
And only a few Walmarts carry it - at least in my area (in Canada).

Sock weight? I have a sweater pattern for Eco-fil yarn and the gauge mentioned (using 4 mm needles) is 19 sts and 25 rows over
10 cm/4 inches.

Hope that helps.
We can wait for her now.

Happy knitting,
Janey
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007 06:57:53 PM »

yeah, what jane said lol. The ball band says the gauge is 19 st x 25 rows = 4" with size 6 needles. I used size 5 to get a slightly firmer fabric. I made on with bernat handicraft cotton and it worked pretty well. I jsut cast o na few less stitches
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
rozekitten

Glue, buttons, and a wall. Hmmm...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007 07:17:21 PM »

I have two things to say:

1)  I hate Bees!

2)  Your a freakin' genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michela

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007 10:31:34 AM »

Bee's do suck. My mom and Godmother are allergic to them too.

and thank you -blushes-

I'm in the process of designing some more interesting variations like a lace one and a cabled one. unfortunatly its crunch time in all my classes (stupid finald and end of term projects) so I won't have a chance to make them until April
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
sherry71
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007 12:08:30 PM »

Thanks for the pattern.  I am allergic to bees & carry one.  But, because it just floats around in the bottom of the bag, the lid for the case always comes off.  I will definitely make one of these.  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rozekitten

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007 06:32:21 PM »

Bee's do suck. My mom and Godmother are allergic to them too.

and thank you -blushes-

I'm in the process of designing some more interesting variations like a lace one and a cabled one. unfortunatly its crunch time in all my classes (stupid finald and end of term projects) so I won't have a chance to make them until April

Have fun with you studying.   Wink  And I'm sure that we all can't wait to see them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007 08:18:44 PM »

yeah, what jane said lol. The ball band says the gauge is 19 st x 25 rows = 4" with size 6 needles. I used size 5 to get a slightly firmer fabric. I made on with bernat handicraft cotton and it worked pretty well. I jsut cast o na few less stitches

Okay, thanks! That sounds like aran or fingering to me... I have a hard time figuring stuff out from needle size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Michela

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007 02:22:38 PM »

its closer to aran than fingering. fingering would be too fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007 05:17:28 PM »

That is such a great idea!

My only concern would be that if you were unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate, paramedics wouldn't know that inside the cool purple knit cylindrical thingy is an epi-pen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michela

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007 08:23:11 PM »

I had the same concern a few weeks later so I embroidered EPI PEN on the outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
rozekitten

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007 08:57:25 PM »

Grrrgh...  I guess that is the definition of when I trust someone and get close to them.  When I get to the point in a friendship/ relationship and I teach someone how to give me my Epipen shot, and tell them where it is kept.  Why oh why is trust teaching your friends how to stab you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marykz

did I say one project at a time?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007 06:41:38 AM »

you are so creative- I just love it.  my DH has a weird unidentified allergy prob. too, to I'm going to make one for his to put in the briefcase.  and embroidering EPI-PEN is a great idea.  if only I could get him to stick a MA tag or something on his watch..... Thanks so much for sharing this great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007 10:56:07 AM »

Grrrgh...  I guess that is the definition of when I trust someone and get close to them.  When I get to the point in a friendship/ relationship and I teach someone how to give me my Epipen shot, and tell them where it is kept.  Why oh why is trust teaching your friends how to stab you?

I do  the same thing. I think it has to do with freaking people out, before you indroduce them to the stabby interment of life saving weirdness, you have to be sure they won't completely freak and just avoid you so they won't have to use the epi-pen lol. luckily most of my friends though worked at camp cousellors at one point in thier lives so they fully trained in epi-pan useage. A few of them have even taken it to extremes. My best friend keeps one of my epi's at her house taped to her fridge and taught every one of her family members how to use it on the off chance I go over to her house while shes not home.

you are so creative- I just love it.  my DH has a weird unidentified allergy prob. too, to I'm going to make one for his to put in the briefcase.  and embroidering EPI-PEN is a great idea.  if only I could get him to stick a MA tag or something on his watch..... Thanks so much for sharing this great idea!

Unidentified allergies are horrible! mine was unknown for 2 years before I finally figured out. three allergists, my GP, a pediatrian, and two ear/nose/throat doctors couldn't figure out why I was choking at nearly every meal until I bit a pepper pod and my throat swelled shut instantly. have you tried writting down every item he eats? (full ingredient lists and all). I know someone else with a UFA and after 2 weeks of listing all the food she ate and when she had reactions she figured out what was causing her to react.

As for the MA, checkout the jeweller. A lot of them have knock off MAs that are actually fasionable and don;'t look like soemthing your grand father would wear. It won't link you to the MA network, but it will list med problem for paramedics and engrave something like 'see wallet card' where you can list contact info and treatment. thats what I have on mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
Marykz

did I say one project at a time?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007 04:25:02 PM »

Unidentified allergies are horrible! mine was unknown for 2 years before I finally figured out. three allergists, my GP, a pediatrian, and two ear/nose/throat doctors couldn't figure out why I was choking at nearly every meal until I bit a pepper pod and my throat swelled shut instantly. have you tried writting down every item he eats? (full ingredient lists and all). I know someone else with a UFA and after 2 weeks of listing all the food she ate and when she had reactions she figured out what was causing her to react.

As for the MA, checkout the jeweller. A lot of them have knock off MAs that are actually fasionable and don;'t look like soemthing your grand father would wear. It won't link you to the MA network, but it will list med problem for paramedics and engrave something like 'see wallet card' where you can list contact info and treatment. thats what I have on mine.

Thanks for the reminder about the food diary!  my opinion is that is it a food dye but we are trying to confirm it.... he thinks that if the epi-pen fixes it we don't have to worry about why it is broken..... (HuhHuh? makes me crazy)  I'll definitely check for something "manly and not grandpa at the jeweler- that is a good idea.  I made him put a card in the wallet and the b/case, but I just want one on his person..... Thanks for the reinforcement!!! mkz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Michela

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2007 05:12:43 PM »

I think he needs a bit more info as to what an epipen does. It doesn't 'fix' it, it keeps him alive until the doctors can fix is a at the hospital lol. I learned that one the hard way....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
LUBEE
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007 12:25:31 PM »

death to wheat
and thank you for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007 12:36:42 PM »

It might be neat to add some fun fur to this doodad, for the same reason that the condom caddy on Knitty has it... to make it go from "distinctive" to "unmistakeable" in your bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bellydancingknitter
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007 08:01:23 PM »

I love the detail of the pocket on top, for the pills.
Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ameythestlily
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007 08:09:11 PM »

This is so cool. My mom's b-day is coming up and the poor woman is allergic to just about everything. This is gonna make an awesome addition to the rest of her gifts. Thank you so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007 04:43:07 PM »

You know, that would work great as a tampon cozy too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bethenny Frankel on Her Novel Skinnydipping
Poet Adam Kammerling Performs "Woof Quack Meow, Neigh Moo Oink"
Chris Parkinson Performs His Poem "Men of Straw"
How to Write a Research Paper
Barbara Arrowsmith-Young on The Woman Who Changed Her Brain
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...