A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The calorimetry that nearly killed me plus matching handwarmers  (Read 2246 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Michela
Hi, I'm Confused. And you are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 04, 2007 02:38:32 PM »

After being encouraged to try it, I knit a calorimetry. After 4 false starts, and 6 hours (I'm a slow knitter) I finished it at 3:45 AM. I even had enough yarn to make a pair of matching hand warmers but I was smart enough to do those after getting some sleep.

I used Bernat Satin Yarn. Its 100% arcylic and I rather like it. Its soft and easy to work with.

Here's one of the hard warmers. I haven't gotten around to seaming the other one but its the exact same.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 12:45:19 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft so I can avoid reality.....
My wist
CraftyPirateGirl

The Craftsters made me do it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 02:51:59 PM »

Very nice, and such a pretty yarn judging by the pics.  I may have to give it a try myself.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting apparel and gifts at www.CraftingShirts.com

You can see the rest of my web-based work at www.OuterMonologue.com and www.PiratesCloset.com.

*** Out of pocket for a while to move into our new house!  I'll try to check in periodically. : )  Ciao! ***
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 05:52:13 PM »

Did you use a pattern for your handwarmers?  I really like how they look and I am looking for easy patterns as I am a beginner but I am tired of scarves!!

Don't feel bad about the calorimetry!  I frogged a few but so did a lot of other people--have you been to the knit-along on the calorimetry?--we all feel the pattern makes it too big!!!

Both of your items are lovely!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
 118/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Michela

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 06:09:22 PM »

Did you use a pattern for your handwarmers?  I really like how they look and I am looking for easy patterns as I am a beginner but I am tired of scarves!!

Don't feel bad about the calorimetry!  I frogged a few but so did a lot of other people--have you been to the knit-along on the calorimetry?--we all feel the pattern makes it too big!!!

Both of your items are lovely!!!

No I haven't been over to that thread. I'll have to check it out. I orginally cast on all 120 but it looked waaaaaaaay too big. I'm glad I ripped it and started over .

And no I duidn't use a pattern. I just made it up as a went along. I used size 8s, CO on 24 stitchs and knit about 1.5" of ribbing and the rest in stockinette. Then I seamed up the side leaving a spot open for my thumb. It was super easy. Each one took a bit over an hour but I'm a really slow knitter esp. when ribbing is involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 06:12:51 PM »

You are a sweetheart!! that is my type of pattern--I will try it now!!  thank you so very much!

I also like the yarn you used so I will see if I can get some like it...so much to learn with knitting... thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
 118/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Michela

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 06:31:18 PM »

no problem! Let me know how they turn out!

As for the yarn, I picked up it at wal-mart (I am soooo not a yarn snob lol) so it should be pretty easy to track down. It's cheap too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
Misscritta
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 07:45:31 PM »

That's a really pretty yarn. I made a Calormetry and it turned out HUGE. I've used it as a neckwarmer! (So all isn't lost!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007 08:27:03 AM »

miscritta--go to the knit along on here for the caliormetry--you will see how many people adapted the original pattern to make it smaller and fit much better!! I did 88 cast ons using size 7 needles and it fit my head (22 inches) fine...

I started the hand warmers...but I had to cast on 36 stitches...it might be the yarn I am using is thinner?  I am using sport weight cheapo yarn to practice since I have never made these before without a pattern! My wrist is 6 inches--I think they will turn out fine but I am going to go look for the same yarn you used because I love the shine. I will post when I get them done!! You are quite encouraging--thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
 118/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Misscritta
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007 09:01:49 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I have yarn that I'd like to make another out of...I'm trying to grow the hair out, so this would work well with my teeny ponytail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
Michela

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007 11:31:55 AM »

I started the hand warmers...but I had to cast on 36 stitches...it might be the yarn I am using is thinner?  I am using sport weight cheapo yarn to practice since I have never made these before without a pattern! My wrist is 6 inches--I think they will turn out fine but I am going to go look for the same yarn you used because I love the shine. I will post when I get them done!! You are quite encouraging--thanks!

It could totaly be the yarn. The satin it quite thick which makes for some really lovelt hand warmers. my wrist is 6 inches too so you should probably by able to use the exact number of stitches as I did. I did make it so that it has to stretch to fit though. I tried making it looser but I found it got in the way while i was typing so i made it 'hug' a bit more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clone Yourself in Sony Vegas
How To Make A Light Saber Effect In Sony Vegas
How to Create a Night Vision Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Create the Jumper Effect in Sony Vegas
How to Create a Predator Effect in Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...