A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: squeaky Denises??  (Read 764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meriellyn
« on: January 04, 2007 02:28:23 PM »

I got a set of Denise Interchangables a few weeks ago and I'm using them on their first project. Yesterday I noticed that sometimes they seem to squeak/creak at the joins! Is this something fairly normal or should I trade my set back in for another one?
I'm pretty pleased with the needles but I'm really irritated by the noises.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canarysanctuary
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 03:16:07 PM »

Mine squeek too!  It is annoying, isn't it?  A friend of mine has the Boyd set, and she says they screw in instead of the little twist that the Denise do. (the screw-in feature also would add, to my mind, a greater sense of security.  There's been one to many times when I've been shuttling the stitches along and POP, the connector comes out and POP my brain explodes as I try frantically to pick up all dropped stitches. It's always on one of those intricate projects, too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
jenna_alive
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 03:54:19 PM »

Aren't the Denise needles made of plastic?  If so, it might just be a wearing-in process.

The Boye ones actually tend to unscrew themselves a bit because of the little elbow at the join.  You really have to get in there with elbow grease and tighten them with the tools provided.

The Knit Picks Options needles are screw ins, too, but they hold on a lot better because the cables aren't so stiff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 06:46:05 PM »

I think the tips are resin but the other parts are plastic.

So you have had the Denises come apart while knitting? I'm afraid of this happening since I think I twist a bit while knitting and (I've discovered) I twist the whole thing a bit when turning at the end of rows on flat projects.
How often have you had 'em come loose on you?

I love my Options set. I use the key and a little gripp-y jar opening thingy to tighten them in and they feel every bit as secure as a fixed circ.

I picked up the Denises to use with yarn that was too slippery for the KP needles but now I'm afraid of dropping slippery yarn stitches.
Or chucking the whole squeaky mess across the room. Lol. The creak is darned annoying. If I jiggle em around a little it usually goes away for a while but does come back. I read up a ton on all the interchangable sets beforehand but no one ever mentioned the noise. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatyerhartout
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 08:30:13 PM »

Mine squeak, but not very loudly. If they're popping undone it's because they aren't twisted tightly like they should be. Get some of that stuff you lay down in shelves to keep things from sliding around (what is it called? contact paper??). You'll only need a little rectangle of it. Keep it with your set for when you snap on the needles or extenders. It really helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 10:50:56 PM »

So you have had the Denises come apart while knitting? I'm afraid of this happening since I think I twist a bit while knitting and (I've discovered) I twist the whole thing a bit when turning at the end of rows on flat projects.
How often have you had 'em come loose on you?

I've had this happen more times than I care to admit.  Mostly when I use the 5s. I recommend buying a seperate circ for 5s because I find the join to be very awkward when using them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpre ss.com
meriellyn
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 11:01:18 PM »

Oooh, good to know. Guess I'll stick to the Options for the 5s. I'm glad I did that for the sweater I just started. If the needle came off in the middle of my first sweater, I might impale myself on it. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007 02:43:08 AM »

I got a set of Denise Interchangables a few weeks ago and I'm using them on their first project. Yesterday I noticed that sometimes they seem to squeak/creak at the joins! Is this something fairly normal or should I trade my set back in for another one?
I'm pretty pleased with the needles but I'm really irritated by the noises.

Wow, mine have never squeaked.  Weird. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
Picky_Knitter
can't...type...knitting...

one sock wonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007 03:50:22 AM »

Wow, mine have never squeaked.  Weird. 

Nor have mine and I have two sets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pansymouse
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007 05:43:33 AM »

Mine don't squeak or come apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Abstract Background
How to Create Formal Symmetry
How to Tell a Story Through a Photograph
How to Use a Slow Shutter Speed to Create Leading Light
How to Photograph with Storm Lighting
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...