A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,756
Currently Running With Scissors:
797 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Church of Craft Kansas City  (Read 6768 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cherith

...some secrets are better left undiscovered...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2007 12:52:35 PM »

I want to create, with the help of a lot of good crafty people, a Kansas City division of the Church of Craft (http://www.churchofcraft.org). The CoC is an organization that has groups in several big cities already - plenty of them you can read about in the other city forums. In each city, there's monthly or weekly (depending on the members) meetings to have people get together and do crafty things. It's about being with other crafty or creative people, and sharing experiences, techniques, research, ect. I think KC needs one, and I've already talked to the lady in charge about starting one here.

Nothing is required, nothing is necessary, and you don't even have to be crafty already...wanting to be is enough. I've already started collecting lots of project ideas to share.  I'm hoping there's some interest in this, because I'm pretty excited about trying to get it started. I've also made a post over in the Kansas forums (sorry if you're seeing this twice), hoping to garner plenty of interest. If you're in KC and you are an artist, writer, knitter, musician or other creative or crafty type person and you're interested, let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
The Church of Craft for Kansas City!
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."  ~Aristotle
Hippyhart

Kids on the Street, Kids on the Beat!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007 11:38:24 AM »

Cherith, I joined this forum to meet other crafty people in Kansas City. Have you had any interest so far? I'm definitely up for joining a KC division of the Church of Craft -- please let me know!

Katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007 02:58:37 PM »

I've had a bit of interest from some people outside of Craftster.  Currently I'm thinking about places to host us and will try and get a first meeting together sometime in February.  Thanks for your comment!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007 08:12:02 AM »

We're having our second Church of Craft meeting this coming Saturday, April 7th at the Urban Arts + Crafts store in the Briarcliff Village Shops. 

We're going to attempt a project this weekend, so I wanted to make a post with some details for those of you that weren't at our last meeting, or those of you that were but might not remember. 

April 7th, 2007 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Project: Make Your Own Journal, or Blank-Page Book
Meeting at: Urban Arts + Crafts in the shops at Briarcliff Village (send me PM if you need directions)

Supplies:
Cardboard cut to the size of your book, folded in half.
Fabric One piece large enough to cover the cardboard width-wise three times.
Paper At least 20 pieces cut just slightly smaller than your cardboard cover piece
Regular Desk Stapler or Needle and thread (I used crochet thread)
Ribbon or other embellishments

Everyone is welcome.  I really hope people can make it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007 12:50:20 PM »

Our next meeting will be Saturday May 5th, 2:30pm - 4:30pm, same place - Urban Arts + Crafts in the Briarcliff Village Shops.

I don't have our next project lined up, but I'll post as soon as I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
onthinice
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007 06:58:08 AM »

So do we bring whatever we happen to be working on at the time?  Or do you work within themes (ex:  one month it is paper crafting, another it is fiber, or clay, etc.)?  Or do you focus entirely on the project of the month?

Sorry for all the questions.  I'm just curious to know which section of my craft room I should drag along with me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007 08:24:18 AM »

I'm just curious to know which section of my craft room I should drag along with me.

Haha!  I'm totally with you there.  I just got one of those big rolling craft totes for Christmas, so I drug that along with me to the last meeting. 

I think in the future we'll do some "bring whatever you're working on" days.  We can't do projects all the time, ya know?  However, for now, I AM trying to keep us busy, and give people a good reason to show up.  I think having a specific project to work towards is a good idea.  I'm not sure what it'll be yet for May though.  I had a good idea, but I don't think it's the right type of year for it.  When I decide on a project, I'll post up the project and supplies and everything like I did for April - I also brought a crap load of extra supplies for people to trade, or use if they didn't have the necessary stuff.

They have a lot of space at Urban Arts + Crafts, but I'm also trying to stick to crafts where we won't have to spend an hour cleaning up afterwards too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007 11:28:46 AM »

May 5th, 2007 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Project: The "Rapunzel" Scarf
Meeting at: Urban Arts + Crafts in the shops at Briarcliff Village (send me PM if you need directions)

Our next scheduled meeting for the CoC is this Saturday, May 5th, at the Urban Arts + Crafts store in Briarcliff Village. I know that it's Cinco de Mayo and several people may have other plans for the afternoon, so if you don't think you can make it at 2:30pm Saturday afternoon, please let me know ahead of time. I'd rather be polite to our gracious hosts at the store and let them know ahead of time if we don't need the space.

If you are planning on coming this weekend, I've got a great project / swap for us to try out this weekend. I'd like to try and put together what's being called the "Rapunzel" scarf. It's a really fun project that you don't need to know how to knit or crochet or anything to make.

Supplies: Yarn (and lots of it) or fabric, or ribbon or all of the above!  Here's where the 'swap' part of this project comes in. For this project you need about 30 very long strands of yarn or fabric scraps or ribbon. When I say long, I mean about 10ft, although depending on how long you'd like your finished project to be, that length can vary. My idea is that we all bring scraps for this project, and with luck there will be enough of us to swap bits and pieces to make some really funky results.

There's a lot of great scarves using this technique here at Craftster just do a search for 'Rapunzel' if you're curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Hippyhart

Kids on the Street, Kids on the Beat!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007 08:32:22 AM »

I just remembered that the meeting was tomorrow -- Yay! It is still on, right? I am searching Rapunzel right now... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007 10:36:48 AM »

Yup, it's on!  Hope you can make it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ricki Lake Discusses Her Audiobook, Never Say Never
4 Strange Yet Effective Exercises by A.J. Jacobs
17 DAY DIET: How to Be Bikini-Ready For Summer
The Man Who Changed the American Food Culture
Learn How to Draw Neil Flambé
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...