A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,971
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions for the best iron?  (Read 7288 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rothko
« on: January 04, 2007 11:29:38 AM »

does anyone have any suggestions for a craft iron? or do you just use a small travel iron? i need one without holes. searching for "craft iron" doesn't turn up very many results.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i swap ATCs Cheesy
my flickr site
paroper
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 02:01:47 PM »

Here are some that I find interesting. I do not own the first one.

http://allstitch.net/s_mini_crafting_iron.html

I do have these two.  I prefer the first one over the second.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=651&criteria=iron

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=664&criteria=iron

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 06:08:47 PM »

I don't know what you plan to use it for, but I've found a flat-iron (for hair) useful in craft projects.  You can't iron anything on a flat surface, but it worked great when I needed to crease small pieces of fabric. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Deirdre
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007 08:50:16 AM »

My Kenmore iron, which I've had for about three years and I love, just stopped working last night.  It gave off an electric smell then nothing.

So, any suggestions for a new iron?  It has to be heavy.  I would go buy another Kenmore, but I was wondering if there are better options.

I was thinking of getting the Rowenta 890 from Target ($100).

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007 03:49:26 PM »

My dad was going to get a rowenta. He said that he prefers a rowenta to any other iron. He ended up buying a Sunbeam with the retractable cord, being we couldn't seem to find a rowenta. ( If you were wondering my dad used to sew, but has since passed Sewing down to me) Anyways... the rowenta 890 seems like it is a good iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

epilepticlemur
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007 10:36:50 PM »

That was actually the iron I have been thinking about buying.  Although I went to Target.com, and it seems there are four people giving reviews that their iron broke in less then a year. 
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=cm_reviews_dp_seemore/601-7064096-4148923?ie=UTF8&coliid=&frombrowse=1&alt%5Fview=custReviews&asin=B00080LCH2#R126WRZXKA4K7Q

so, I don't know, I think I'm going to research it a little longer.  Let me know what you decide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007 05:50:13 AM »

Wow, good to know.  I loved my Kenmore so much.  I bought a Black and Decker yesterday from WalMart but I think I might also get a new Kenmore, just to have two because I sew so much.

The Black and Decker isn't as heavy but it does get very hot (1400 watts).  The Kenmore was 1700 watts but I did have trouble with the steam spitting out all over the place and sometimes burning my hand.  The steam control didn't seem to work well.

So I also bought a spray bottle so I won't be using steam from the iron any more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunsethj
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007 06:33:52 PM »

I went to Joanns and bought the Rowenta Effective ($70) and used my 40% off coupon and got a great deal. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007 05:45:05 AM »

That is an awesome idea -- thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

myrLegacy
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 08:36:54 PM »

Hi.  Don't know if you're still looking, but I highly highly recomend is the Black and Decker Digital Advantage, from Target (link below)

The steam on it is great.  I was recently borrowing a friend's aunt's Rowenta -- not sure which one -- and whenever I pressed steam on it, the steam would come out right under the handle.  I would constantly be moving my hand away cause it got way too hot.

The Black and Decker I have now was recomended to me by my sewing teacher.  The classrooms are all stocked with this iron so I figured that it had to be good.  Once she made that recomendation in class, probably half of us rushed out to get one and I haven't heard any bad reviews about it yet.

It's fairly heavy and powerful.  Cons: I'm not too fond of the digital feature, but it's actually quite handy.  It beeps loudly when it's warmed up.  I wish the cord was retractable.  I was thinking of getting an iron pad so that I could leave it sitting horizontally, but when you leave it like that, it leaks.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_1/602-9712041-0843860?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0000AFQ5U
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to be Aware of Your Surroundings
How to Create Visual Unity
How to Imply Motion
How to Understand the Psychological Power of Yellow
How to Get Out of your Comfort Zone
Latest Blog Articles
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...