A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,203
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions for the best iron?  (Read 7061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rothko
« on: January 04, 2007 11:29:38 AM »

does anyone have any suggestions for a craft iron? or do you just use a small travel iron? i need one without holes. searching for "craft iron" doesn't turn up very many results.

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i swap ATCs Cheesy
my flickr site
paroper
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 02:01:47 PM »

Here are some that I find interesting. I do not own the first one.

http://allstitch.net/s_mini_crafting_iron.html

I do have these two.  I prefer the first one over the second.

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=651&criteria=iron

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=664&criteria=iron

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 06:08:47 PM »

I don't know what you plan to use it for, but I've found a flat-iron (for hair) useful in craft projects.  You can't iron anything on a flat surface, but it worked great when I needed to crease small pieces of fabric. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Deirdre
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007 08:50:16 AM »

My Kenmore iron, which I've had for about three years and I love, just stopped working last night.  It gave off an electric smell then nothing.

So, any suggestions for a new iron?  It has to be heavy.  I would go buy another Kenmore, but I was wondering if there are better options.

I was thinking of getting the Rowenta 890 from Target ($100).

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007 03:49:26 PM »

My dad was going to get a rowenta. He said that he prefers a rowenta to any other iron. He ended up buying a Sunbeam with the retractable cord, being we couldn't seem to find a rowenta. ( If you were wondering my dad used to sew, but has since passed Sewing down to me) Anyways... the rowenta 890 seems like it is a good iron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

epilepticlemur
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007 10:36:50 PM »

That was actually the iron I have been thinking about buying.  Although I went to Target.com, and it seems there are four people giving reviews that their iron broke in less then a year. 
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=cm_reviews_dp_seemore/601-7064096-4148923?ie=UTF8&coliid=&frombrowse=1&alt%5Fview=custReviews&asin=B00080LCH2#R126WRZXKA4K7Q

so, I don't know, I think I'm going to research it a little longer.  Let me know what you decide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007 05:50:13 AM »

Wow, good to know.  I loved my Kenmore so much.  I bought a Black and Decker yesterday from WalMart but I think I might also get a new Kenmore, just to have two because I sew so much.

The Black and Decker isn't as heavy but it does get very hot (1400 watts).  The Kenmore was 1700 watts but I did have trouble with the steam spitting out all over the place and sometimes burning my hand.  The steam control didn't seem to work well.

So I also bought a spray bottle so I won't be using steam from the iron any more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunsethj
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007 06:33:52 PM »

I went to Joanns and bought the Rowenta Effective ($70) and used my 40% off coupon and got a great deal. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007 05:45:05 AM »

That is an awesome idea -- thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

myrLegacy
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007 08:36:54 PM »

Hi.  Don't know if you're still looking, but I highly highly recomend is the Black and Decker Digital Advantage, from Target (link below)

The steam on it is great.  I was recently borrowing a friend's aunt's Rowenta -- not sure which one -- and whenever I pressed steam on it, the steam would come out right under the handle.  I would constantly be moving my hand away cause it got way too hot.

The Black and Decker I have now was recomended to me by my sewing teacher.  The classrooms are all stocked with this iron so I figured that it had to be good.  Once she made that recomendation in class, probably half of us rushed out to get one and I haven't heard any bad reviews about it yet.

It's fairly heavy and powerful.  Cons: I'm not too fond of the digital feature, but it's actually quite handy.  It beeps loudly when it's warmed up.  I wish the cord was retractable.  I was thinking of getting an iron pad so that I could leave it sitting horizontally, but when you leave it like that, it leaks.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_1/602-9712041-0843860?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0000AFQ5U
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Your Skin for Winter
5 Makeup Mistakes You Can Easily Avoid
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Top Beauty Uses for Bio-Oil
How to Pose on Camera
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...