A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ashford Knitters Loom  (Read 11608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007 05:44:13 AM »

The Harp (I don't remember who makes it) is also a pretty nice loom. It's not what I have, but I participated in a weaving study where everyone else had the Harp. It's got a warping board on the bottom of it and it folds up. It was pretty nice. You might want to look at that one too because I don't think it was a bad price either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemarie
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007 09:45:41 AM »

Would this one work for what you want?

http://www.dickblick.com/zz650/19/

I think I am going to get this one becasue I have no weaving experience, and all I really want to do at this point is weave scarves from my handspun yarn.  Plus, it's only $53, which is nice for my extremely sad budget.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007 02:55:49 PM »

I think the only problem with that one would be the fact that you can only weave around 3 yards on it. If you ever wanted to do a longer scarf, too bad. Other than that though, it's just a smaller version of an RH loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sheep_need_sweaters2

Dancin' with my Gnomies

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007 04:17:12 PM »

I ordered the 32" rigid heddle, I wanted something that gave me plenty of room to expand and it was considerably more flexible as far as width and price. I paid about $180 for the ashford loom, which will allow me to do more in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arthur: Ford?
Ford: Yeah?
Arthur: I think I'm a sofa...
Ford: [pause] I know how you feel...
avanutria
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007 02:10:22 AM »

I was considering the Ashford Knitter's loom (the Flip is not available in my area) but have decided to get the Kromski Harp instead.  It's a folding rigid heddle loom and comes in 16", 24" and 32" widths.  I'm planning to get the 24" one.  A supplier in my area tells me that you can use the Ashford RH loom reeds on the Kromski loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Velvet Rose
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007 12:38:50 AM »

I'm planning to buy an Ashford knitters loom in the next few days. I am a novice weaver & my children have just started learning weaving at school so they will probably be using it too.

I have a few of questions:

Do I need a warping board to make a scarf or table runner using this loom? Or are there other alternatives I could rig up at home?

I am planning on using up yarn scraps of various thicknesses to make a scarf. Any suggestions for the sort of yarn I should use for a warp? And how much extra yarn should I allow for when warping?

What size reed would I need if I use handspun as a warp?

Any other advice that you can give me about the loom or about weaving for novices?

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007 12:39:34 AM by Velvet Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flore - Tricotin.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007 09:53:50 PM »

Hello I have received my KNITTERS LOOM a few days again and have already woven lots of scarves and plans to weave skirts. (the one from Interweave Knits).

It is a great Loom. I love it. The wide eyed reed is great. Miss Hawklett (I am a big fan of yours you know it  Wink ) I really advise you to buy it. But as for most looms you might have to adapt your yarns for the warp threads... (I spin huge yarns and they won't go through the eyes) but you can use whatever yarn you create for weft.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachymanaangel
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007 06:56:44 PM »

www.weavecast.com has a review on both the ashford knitters loom and the flip by schacht
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Festive 4th of July Looks for Less Than $50
Best Summer Looks For Less Than $50
Lauren Conrad and More Celebrities Love the Little White Dress
Trend Report - Sleeves
How to Personalize a T-Shirt with Fabric Markers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...