A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ashford Knitters Loom  (Read 11432 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2007 07:33:22 AM »

Has anyone ever used the Ashford Knitting Loom?  I'm thinking of purchasing it. I make yarn but I'm not a great knitter, but I am interested in weaving, if its something I can figure out on my own. 

I would love any advice or reviews!

http://www.ashford.co.nz/weaving/weaving-frameset.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lufah
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 09:29:03 AM »

Hey misshawklet, I don't have the Knitter's Loom, but I did consider it before I got my loom.  The reviews I read from people who had it said that they would get one of the regular Ashford rigid heddle looms instead.  I'm looking on the page at The Woolery right now, and the Knitter's loom is $198 and can only weave something up to 12" (probably only 10-11" after taking it off the loom), whereas the rigid heddle looms are priced from $137-$180 and range from 16" to 32" (the size I have).  So basically, if you bought the rigid heddle loom, you'd get a heck of a lot more loom for your money.

However, the Knitter's Loom does come assembled and finished.  We had to wax the rigid heddle loom and assemble it before use, but that wasn't any big deal.  And if you're wanting something that can be really portable, the Knitter's Loom would be the way to go.

Regardless of what loom you get, I'd also get a good book to go with it.  For some reason, I absolutely could not figure out how the loom worked from the little booklet that came with it.  Fortunately, Travis got me the book "Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving" by Betty Linn Davenport, and it really made everything make sense.  I didn't want to have to pay to take classes either, especially since I knew I'd probably get crap from my LYS for not buying the loom there.  Tongue  Anyway, I'm really excited about weaving more stuff - I just placed a big order for thinner yarns to use as the warp, so I'm waiting to get those and dye them before I can weave anything else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.yarnzombie.net - http://twitter.com/Yarnzombie
Flickr fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarnzombie/
Photographyblog - http://www.craftbangboom.com/
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5363840
Will swap yarn/fiber/fabric for Polaroid/slide/120/weird film!  PM me
Yarnisfun
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 01:22:44 PM »

Hello. I received a Knitters Loom for Christmas and I absolutely love it. It is really easy to set up (just take it out of the box) the instructions make sense (amazing!). And it doesn't take very long or use much yarn, (important because I also make my own yarn). I made my first scarf in a couple of hours. True you can't make very big pieces, but you can always make smaller pieces and sew them together to make blankets or whatever. It's very portable and doesn't take up a lot of space. I highly reccomend it. And you can buy a cool bag to keep it in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007 08:56:31 AM »

oh thank you!  My apartment is very small so I def need something small.  the small sized things is concerning but my attention span for finishing a project is also short so...I might do it!  When I have the money that is. 

any suggestion where to get one from?  They are all about the same price anyhow, I might get it from paradise fibers. 

I figure if I ever want to upgrade I can sell it?

Also its important that I can use my own handspun on it, which tends  to be thicker, so this looked like a good fit.

thank you both so much for your suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarnisfun
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007 09:50:00 AM »

No problem, glad to help. I also have space issues and a short attention span so this was perfect for me. I got mine from Carolina Homespun they had great service and were very helpful. Let us know what you decide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
easterbun
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007 11:33:37 PM »

Also its important that I can use my own handspun on it, which tends  to be thicker, so this looked like a good fit.

Yes, but with the newer wide-eye heddles ashford came out with when the knitter's loom came out, you could do that on any ashford RH loom.

That said, I have a knitters loom with the carry bag, and I adore it  Grin  Considering the SIZE of the larger RH looms (they are BIG), this one is really about what I'd have wanted anyways, and unfolded it still takes up a bit of room (but stores compactly, which is a plus if you don't want to or can't finish something right away).  If I want to weave something wider, I do have wider looms (a floor loom and a table loom) so I really picked this one for portability and compactness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007 01:10:35 PM »

I read in some RH loom book a while back about hanging it on the wall for storage. I do this because I don't have much floor space in my house. If you have an unfinished piece on it, it's like instant wall art too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
easterbun
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007 01:33:48 AM »

Well storage isn't the only consideration with a larger RH - I handled a few before buying my knitter's loom and it just seemed like it would be relatively unweildy if I wanted to weave something fairly small like a scarf... or something of the right dimensions to make into a small bag for example.  I can sit with my knitter's loom on the sofa - I don't need to have it propped on a table or anything.  A throw pillow works well enough to give the heddle enough clearance Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007 09:38:23 AM »

good advice thank you! 

I think the knitters loom might be good for me b/c my aparment is SO small and there is NO room for anything more than a travel sort of loom.  Also I think this would be a good intro for me who can't sit still and has a hard time sticking to things sometimes...if I like it later I can get a bigger loom and always sell this one.

this one is appealing b/c it seems easier to learn just b/c its smaller.  It might not be but its a mental thing I think. 

I figure going from this loom to a biggie would be like going from a drop spindle to a wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

easterbun
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007 10:26:09 AM »

Well I actually want a 24/25" RH now (I do have a 22" floor loom too but it's such a hassle to warp that I find myself making excuses not to use it) to weave shawls, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Knitter's Loom - it's just too great and convenient of a size (and it's super-easy to warp, as I imagine all RH looms are)  Grin  You can take it anywhere with you very easily.

Schacht has a very similar folding loom out now too called the flip, it comes in wider widths http://www.schachtspindle.com/Products/Weaving/flip.htm

I like the top "braces" on that one - should result in being able to weave more at a time.  The knitters loom is limited by a brace on the bottom of the front which only allows so much (depends on the yarns used) to be woven at once.. eventually you'll wrap enough cloth around the beam that no more will fit before hitting the brace, which is only just over 1" away from the beam.

Honestly if I had to choose between the the Knitter's Loom and the Flip, it would be a tough choice.  I'm trying to justify in my head that it's worth getting the 25" flip instead of a cheaper 24" RH (like a Beka or an Ashford) just because of those braces.. but it's nothing I'd be purchasing right away since I'm trying to save up for a different wheel, and I'd have to figure out if I really want to pay $100 extra for what amounts to a couple of sticks - I really don't care that it folds at that size
THIS ROCKS   Logged

warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007 05:44:13 AM »

The Harp (I don't remember who makes it) is also a pretty nice loom. It's not what I have, but I participated in a weaving study where everyone else had the Harp. It's got a warping board on the bottom of it and it folds up. It was pretty nice. You might want to look at that one too because I don't think it was a bad price either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiemarie
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007 09:45:41 AM »

Would this one work for what you want?

http://www.dickblick.com/zz650/19/

I think I am going to get this one becasue I have no weaving experience, and all I really want to do at this point is weave scarves from my handspun yarn.  Plus, it's only $53, which is nice for my extremely sad budget.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

warpedweaving

Kiss my mouff!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007 02:55:49 PM »

I think the only problem with that one would be the fact that you can only weave around 3 yards on it. If you ever wanted to do a longer scarf, too bad. Other than that though, it's just a smaller version of an RH loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sheep_need_sweaters2

Dancin' with my Gnomies

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007 04:17:12 PM »

I ordered the 32" rigid heddle, I wanted something that gave me plenty of room to expand and it was considerably more flexible as far as width and price. I paid about $180 for the ashford loom, which will allow me to do more in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Arthur: Ford?
Ford: Yeah?
Arthur: I think I'm a sofa...
Ford: [pause] I know how you feel...
avanutria
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007 02:10:22 AM »

I was considering the Ashford Knitter's loom (the Flip is not available in my area) but have decided to get the Kromski Harp instead.  It's a folding rigid heddle loom and comes in 16", 24" and 32" widths.  I'm planning to get the 24" one.  A supplier in my area tells me that you can use the Ashford RH loom reeds on the Kromski loom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Velvet Rose
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007 12:38:50 AM »

I'm planning to buy an Ashford knitters loom in the next few days. I am a novice weaver & my children have just started learning weaving at school so they will probably be using it too.

I have a few of questions:

Do I need a warping board to make a scarf or table runner using this loom? Or are there other alternatives I could rig up at home?

I am planning on using up yarn scraps of various thicknesses to make a scarf. Any suggestions for the sort of yarn I should use for a warp? And how much extra yarn should I allow for when warping?

What size reed would I need if I use handspun as a warp?

Any other advice that you can give me about the loom or about weaving for novices?

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007 12:39:34 AM by Velvet Rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flore - Tricotin.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007 09:53:50 PM »

Hello I have received my KNITTERS LOOM a few days again and have already woven lots of scarves and plans to weave skirts. (the one from Interweave Knits).

It is a great Loom. I love it. The wide eyed reed is great. Miss Hawklett (I am a big fan of yours you know it  Wink ) I really advise you to buy it. But as for most looms you might have to adapt your yarns for the warp threads... (I spin huge yarns and they won't go through the eyes) but you can use whatever yarn you create for weft.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

peachymanaangel
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007 06:56:44 PM »

www.weavecast.com has a review on both the ashford knitters loom and the flip by schacht
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
No Eres Nada Sin Maquillaje - Laura Sánchez
Runway to Real Way Beauty
Carolina Herrera Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Donna Karan Spring 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Frank Brand Exfoliators Review
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...