A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rogue-along, anyone?  (Read 16453 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2007 10:14:22 PM »

That's looking fabulous! I love the bright red color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
whenfishfly
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2007 02:02:49 AM »

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I actually went out to buy yarn for the sweater today. Didn't buy any though, and now I'm all confused. I'd be grateful for any help.

I went to my regular yarn store and the women there said they don't carry wool yarn cause it's too hot in Israel for it anyway. They recommended using 70% acrylic, 30% wool (or 50% and 50%). The stuff is nice and soft, and they said it would look ok with cables and would be easy to wash.
Then I went to another store, and they had this nice looking teal colored 100% wool. I was told that I could hand wash it (was called "superwash", does that mean anything?), and that it would be fine.

So now I'm confused. Seeing as I've never made a sweater before, I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm thinking I should stick to wool, but I was hoping someone here would have some insight. Is there anything I should know before knitting in wool?

Also, did you guys find the pattern yardage accurate?

Thanks,
Daphna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there are two things that I don't believe in: coincidence and leprechauns
NewLeodensian
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2007 02:10:45 AM »

Hi,

I have not knitted Rogue, so can't comment on the yardage!

I don't really find that knitting with wool is any different than knitting with a blend, but maybe that is just me.  I do find that superwash wool can sometimes "bloom" when washed and that I always have to make sure that I wash my tension square before I knit the garment, as quite often it is bigger than the unwashed tension square.  Superwash wool has been treated so that it won't felt when you wash it, that is all that term means Smiley

In terms of using the blend or the acrylic, I think it is personal choice.  Some 50/50 blends can felt though (not all, but some) so you might need to be careful with washing still.

Would it be a possibility for you to purchase a ball of each of the wools that you are considering and do a tension square to see which one you liked better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have a very short wist: http://www.wists.com/NewLeodensian/
badbadrubberpiggy
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2007 07:42:50 AM »

I just started my Rogue, and I'm using a 52/48 wool/microfiber blend (Valley Yarns Sugarloaf), and I really like it so far.  It has great stitch definition, and I think the cables will really pop.  I think it's just personal preference.  A "superwash" label on wool means you can machine wash it, it has been specially treated so it won't felt.  I agree with the last post that if you can, you should buy a ball of each of the yarns you are considering using, and make some swatches, including some cables to see how they look.

As far as yardage goes, I can't comment since I haven't gotten very far.  I did buy about 100 yds extra though, just in case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whenfishfly
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2007 10:08:28 AM »

Thanks a lot guys.

I decided I'd try the wool. I can't wait to get started. Next week I'll be free, this week I have to concentrate on finals Smiley

Daphna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whenfishfly
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2007 05:05:04 AM »

I finally did it. I bought the wool and knit the sweater. It's all done and I love it.

I won't repost, but here's a link to what I posted in the completed items section
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=200939.0

The only thing is, I still don't know what to do with the hem. I'm gonna leave it like it is on the sleeves, but not sure about the body. Also not sure exactly how to sew it up. I guess I have a few months of thinking before it's cold enough to wear Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2007 05:53:54 AM »

That looks wonderful!  I'm feeling a bit more motivated to finally seam up mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whenfishfly
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2007 06:53:32 AM »

You should, it's really worth it. You've already done all the hard work, that is the knitting. Besides, if I remember correctly you were using a really nice purple. It probably looks really great.

Daphna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gummy
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2007 03:28:49 PM »

Dang, I totally forgot to post pictures.  I'd post them in the knew KAL, but since I started in this one, I guess...I don't know.

I can't take pictures AT ALL...I'm REALLY super bad at it.

And there it is.  My cat kept sitting on it and then MOVING so I couldn't get a picture that focused on ANYTHING.

Me looking angry because it was 90+ degrees the day I took the picture.  Also I'd just hauled it out from under my giant cat, who was very offended that I'd done so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magicaljennybella.blogspot.com

Ravelry: Jennybella
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2007 05:37:45 PM »

That's really pretty! Love the color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author James Bach: Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar
Author Philippa Gregory on Future Books
Actress Melissa Gilbert Talks About Prairie Tale
Author George Taber Talks About His Personal Life
New Book by Kathy Reichs: 206 Bones
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...