A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favor help, please  (Read 811 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 04, 2007 03:54:06 AM »

I've been working, off and on, on a favor for one of my guy friends for while he does sword bashing at ECS events. I have 3 corners done, and I'm leaving the upper corner blank so he can use it to tuck into a belt or something, but there's this HUGE empty space and I don't know what to put in it. I tried drawing out a wolf's head, but it just looked odd and kind of clashed with the roses I have decorating the corners.
I used flower language, with a red and yellow rosebud in the east and west corners to symbolize friendship and love, but with thorns, since we have a history of going at each others' throats Tongue, and the south corner has a dusty rose in full bloom, and a couple of rosebuds in dusty colors, as my symbol. His totem animal is the wolf, and I can't use his coat of arms because it hasn't been approved by the person in charge, because of some big heirarchal doohicky happening in the ECS in our area screwing everything up.
I'm using standard embroidery floss on this silvery gray silk I got off the remnants table. It's gorgeous!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I can find all the pieces, I'll put pictures up later, so you understand my description better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
mmd32
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 04:09:52 AM »

Might help of you told us a bit more about wtheck a favor actually is?? I get the idea it is something along the lines of the handkerchiefs women used to tuck into the sleeves and whatnot of their favored knights before a fight or tourney or whatever? Of course, I could be completely off base here!

Anyway, point being, what size is it, how does it usually hang, what IS it?? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 09:02:06 PM »

Why not embroider two crossed swords in the middle of it - typically seen in heraldry, but not his own "crest" since it is merely a symbol indicating the sport. Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007 12:26:27 AM »

Might help of you told us a bit more about wtheck a favor actually is?? I get the idea it is something along the lines of the handkerchiefs women used to tuck into the sleeves and whatnot of their favored knights before a fight or tourney or whatever? Of course, I could be completely off base here!

Anyway, point being, what size is it, how does it usually hang, what IS it?? lol

It's about 6 inches by 6 inches square, and your def of a favor is pretty dead on. His wife can't sew (I've tried to teach her) and as a close female friend, he asked me to make a favor for good luck.
You can see in the picture below the big gaping blank spot. The upper corner is staying blank, to tuck into his belt, and under the rose in the bottom corner will be my initials in more vines and thorns when I'm done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
mmd32
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007 03:35:35 AM »

What about including a wolf as an extension of the bottom roses, like this:

And maybe extending the roses and vines around, to make a sort of border/frame, like this (obviously, change this around, but this is just an idea):

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahpanda
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007 09:29:04 AM »

I think it looks fine the way it is. Adding stuff in the middle will make it look crowded.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make HD Videos Using Cyberlink Power Director
How to Design a Haunted House Part 1/3
How to Design a Club Flyer - Putting it all together 13/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Working with Gradients Part 5/14
How to Design a Club Flyer - Xenofex Lightning Effect Filter Part 8/14
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...