A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,735
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bath-time Stuffie Filling?  (Read 983 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nomishona
« on: January 04, 2007 01:22:07 AM »

So, I just found out today that I'm going to be an aunt  Cheesy

I was thinking of ideas for when the baby is actually born on what to get the little one... I know that I at least want to make it something.

I was thinking of making a stuffie that could be played with in the bath tub.  I would make it out of wash cloth material (any suggestions on other material?)

I have no idea though on what I would stuff it with so that it wouldn't become gross quickly.  Any ideas? 

I don't need to know anytime soon really considering that my brother just found out today that his wife is pregnant, but I was just thinking of gift ideas for the future.  (Any other suggestions on what to make would be great too!)

Thanks for the help!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy where I post my created patterns:
www.Nomishona.etsy. com
mmd32
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 01:31:46 AM »

Sponge? Like those terry covered bath sponges out there?

I would think polyfil would get moldy and gross pretty fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nomishona
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 01:37:39 AM »

Haha, I never even thought of a sponge!  The only thing about that is sponges get hard after they're dry, but I still might try that.  When I was little, I had a bath toy that was a stuffed Bert from Sesame Street, and it was filled with something like cotton and little round things (not sure what those were), and the toy stayed soft even when it wasn't wet.  Any idea on how to fill it like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Nomishona.etsy. com
evaberry
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 02:08:18 AM »

I was wondering if you could use one of those shower puffs (like this: http://www.arizonasun.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=75). You could cut it to shreds if it is the wrong shape. They dry pretty quickly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 02:17:21 AM »

Not a natural sponge, or a dish sponge, but the soft kind like they use for washing cars.

I don't know what the cotton stuff would be, but the little round things might be plastic pellets, made for doll stuffing and weighting. You can prob find them in those kinds of sections.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 02:23:22 AM »

sponge is a good idea.
but when I saw the title of this thread I thaught washcloth stuffed with... that tule like body scrubbing thingeys.  you know, those net balls things.
I totally had a compleate mind blank, I want to say loofa but that is that natural stuff that never dries well enough and smells a bit after a while (in my experience anyway)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Youtube Channel:  http://www.youtube.com/charlieisagirl

Makeup/Clothing Tutorials:   http://www.youtube.com/stardustandunicorns

Formspring:  http://www.formspring.me/charlieisagirl

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
evaberry
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 09:17:07 AM »

but when I saw the title of this thread I thaught washcloth stuffed with... that tule like body scrubbing thingeys.  you know, those net balls things.

This is what I meant. Shower puffs, I think they are called.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 10:54:31 PM »

OK, so I am a mom, and I recently threw out all the bath toys after one that is a little squirt gun (but it's a fish, so I guess it is a squirt fish) squirted out brown funk... ewwwww... so. My opinion is to maybe make a fun embroidered washcloth, or towel for after bath. IF you did a washcloth, you could use all materials that can be washed, like do an applique in terry cloth, OR you could stuff your stuffie with terry or cotton material. It would be fun if there were little dangly things (not too long for choking on!) maybe different strips of fabric with knots, like oooo, you could make a doll out of terry, with knotty hair, and basic features ( this could be a manly firefighter or pilot or hiker or something if baby is a boy...) then niece/nephew can wash their little friend too, as a toddler, and still put it in the hot washer/dryer for the sanitizing that might be needed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Nomishona
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007 11:39:24 PM »

Thank you everyone for the ideas!  I think I'm going to experiment sometime, but I like the idea of using terri cloth to stuff it with because that sounds like it could be washed easily  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Nomishona.etsy. com
mmd32
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007 12:06:02 AM »

Okay, I'm a mom, too, and have tossed plenty of bath toys in my time for that exact same reason. I don't think stuffing with terry would be the greatest idea. It would be too thick to ever dry out properly, or dry out fast enough not to grow mildew. It would get *stinky*, and rank, and either be avoided, or tossed after awhile. A lighter weight filling that can dry swiftly is going to be much better in the long run. Those sponges I mentioned, or those bath puff plastics, would a much better option, and washed just as easily, imo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Sparrow School
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About Surveillance
Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews Talks About Enemies
Adam Grant Shares The Secrets Of Success
Children of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar Delijani
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...