A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *NOW WITH PICS!* My formal dress is way too big...help!!  (Read 1689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2007 09:47:43 PM »

Hello everyone!! So i decided I was going to make my winter formal dress this year, which is on January 20th. I used a pattern- Burda 8174. Now it was fairly simple to make, I made some dumb errors, but nothing too major. I just finished a few nights ago and it looks great! So I go to try it on and its waayyyyyy too big!! NOOO!! I even measured, double measured, everything, before I started cutting! GRRR. It looks great. On my mannequin it looks great...even seams, nothing too horrible for my first article of clothing...but when i put it on, it just kind of falls down again. It's strapless with lining on the inside and boning. I was considering putting straps on it, it wouldn't be TOO hard, although it wouldn't be the strapless look I was going for obviously...but even with straps, it'll still look like a bag on me. I was thinking about maybe adding some eyelets and making it into a corset? However I don't think it would really go with my black and white polka dot theme...grr. The skirt also makes me look heavier than I am, and it doesn't help that I have no waist to speak of so the rest of me just looks huge, but that's a completely different story...I will try to upload pictures tomorrow I've uploaded pictures! Hooray!, i gotta take them first haha. Soo...any advice my fellow craftsters??   

On to the pictures!!

Please try to bear with me. I might possibly be the worst photographer ever.

i'm also wearing a pink shirt underneath, as to not scar you with my *ahem* privates...

so here's the whole dress. sorry for the flash and bad picture, i'm pretty camera-dumb. the dress looks decent enough...

the bodice of the dress. well, part of it. i pretty much missed half of what i was taking a picture of. anyways...looks ok i guess...notice it bunches sort of...

AHHHH!! this is what happens when i gently tug at it !!

there's also a big gap when i pull at it near my boobage area. sorry for the lame dark super close picture.

and this is when i pinch the side...lots of space! it actually doesn't look too bad here. usually there's much more.

and of course i was too camera-dumb to have taken a picture of the skirt portion...i tried and failed miserably. but it's also too big around my hips. gah.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007 06:59:53 PM by that1spazticchik » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 05:56:04 AM »

How much too big is it around your chest?  And how much boning does it have in it?  I might be able to see better what's going on once you post pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

paroper
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 08:51:28 AM »

If it is just gapping slightly and not hugging your body you may be able to run elastic in the seam allowances.  I've done that for my daughter.  Along with the boning it can help a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 12:27:17 PM »

hmm....thanks for the suggestions!! I think it might be a bit too big for those suggestions. GRR. It has boning on each sideseam, like a foot long, I dont remember how wide...not very. I'll post pictures tonight. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 12:50:51 PM »

Where is it too big? Are the side seams at your sides?  If you can figure out where it's too big, it might be easier to take in the seams. How much too big is it (1 inch, 2 inches, 5 inches)? It's a big pain, but if the dimensions are proportional, you could divide the amount it's too big  by the number of seams, and redo the seams by that much ( if it's two inches too big, and you have 8 seams, for example, you'd need to take off 1/4" off each seam. It's amazing how that sort of thing adds up when you have a lot of seams).  Alternately, you can cheat and take it out of the side seams and the zipper in the back, which will affect the shape of the dress slightly.  Did you go by finished measurements, or the chart on the envelope? There tends to be wearing ease (though Burda's not usually excessive with it like the big 4 are, from what I've read) if you're going by the measurement chart.

Incidentally, have you seen the Threads magazine from last year (2006) that talks about supporting strapless garments? It's got some really good ideas for keeping a strapless garment up (including a waist stay, which is considered to be very helpful).

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 05:18:39 PM »

oooh thank you!! That was very helpful as well! Ok well as soon as my sister gets home with my camera, I'll try to take some pictures for you all. It seem to just generally be too big everywhere. Like...I need to shrink it proportionally everywhere! Haha. I'm worried if I do take in every seam like you said, Muria, that the skirt portion would end up being funky. I suppose i'd sew those in too though. GRR. I was thinking last night and it seems to me that I'll have to take out the boning, something I wanted to avoid since I already have it sewn in there pretty well...it'll requre taking out funky seams because of the nature of the pattern....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 08:20:01 PM »

Is it too big at the waist (where the skirt meets the bodice) as well?  If not (or if it's not a lot bigger), you could taper the spots that you take it in, so that it stays the same size where the skirt is.  I'd try pinning up the side seams 1/2 inch, and see if that helps. Either that or try taking it all out at the zipper (pulling out the zipper is a big hassle, as is playing with the boning in the side seams, but not as big as playing with the boning all the way around). Definitely baste in your changes, and try it on to check before you sew in your changes for real.

The Threads article I was talking about is in the May 2006 issue (number 124) on page 44.

Oh, and remember to leave a little breathing room. You don't want to be like Elizabeth in the first Pirates of the Carribean.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
stacysews
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 09:56:54 PM »

I like what Muria has to say about altering it.  You can also turn it inside out and wear it, pinning it equally on both sides to take it in (taking more in at the bust then tapering it as it gets to the hips). 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanderingskopos
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007 10:07:45 PM »

Well, it looks really pretty, at least! Smiley

You could try putting it on, pinching the side seams so that the dress fits and pinning the 'new side seam' at place. Then, when you take the dress off, you can see exactly how much you need to take out and where. Baste the seams and try it on again, if it still falls down, pinch, pin and baste again until it fits, then sew the new side seam. I think there's a better article on fitting at the Threads magazine website.

This is why I want to do a mock-up out of cheap fabric (like old bedsheets) for all close-fitting stuff from better fabrics... they're a pain to fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007 09:33:14 AM »

Thank you so much for everyone's help! Ok. So i'm going to put it on inside out, pin, baste, try on and on and on and pin and pin and pin until i'm happy, then sew!! I'll share the results...thank you so much everyone who helped!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Fruit on the Grill
How to Make Gluten-Free Pistachio and Poppy Seed Financiers
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Sandwich Cookies
How to Make an Adorable Watermelon Grill for Your BBQ Centerpiece
How to Make a French Chocolate Mousse
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...