A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
348 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dressy circle skirt (in satin maybe?)  (Read 886 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fouettegirl
« on: January 22, 2007 10:11:00 AM »

I wanted to make a lolita dress (from lamby's great tutorial), but my mom said it would be too difficult.  I have no sewing skills whatsoever (aside from some really basic hand-sewing) so I'm depending on her to help me

Anyway, I decided to try something simpler, so I want to make a circle skirt.  Can I make something semi-dressy, like a ball gown (but not quite so dressy and ending around the knee)?  Would I need a petticoat or would the skirt be poufy by itself?

Also, what kind of fabric?  The circle skirts I've seen on here (they're great, by the way) seem to be made of cotton or sometimes a more stretchy material.  Could I use something like taffeta?  I don't really like the texture of taffeta, but I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and I saw this semi-light purple shiny fabric (sorry, don't remember what kind it was) that had purple flowers embroidered on it.

Sorry for all of these questions.  I did do a search on Craftster and looked through pages of old threads...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i.am.flowerchild

Hello from Australia!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007 04:34:45 PM »

You can make a circle skirt out of anything you like and each one will look different.

The thicker (stiffer) the fabric is, then the further it will stick out - but if it's very thin fabric, then it will tend to fall closer to the body.

The best idea is to make it out of really cheap fabric that is similar in texture/weight to what you are going to use for your final one.  That way you can get to see what it looks like and as it's really cheap it won't matter too much if it doesn't work out, plus it will give you an idea of the final fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...