A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,319
Currently Running With Scissors:
324 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amanos, the Fire Wyvern  (Read 1344 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2007 09:05:50 PM »

Meet Amanos, a Fire Wyvern plush that I made for my boyfriend's birthday last October.

This is actually the 4th wyvern I've made from this pattern, but I managed to catch this one mid-flight and get some pics before he headed to his new home.  I used the Wyvern pattern here: http://www.wyrm.org.uk/cuddly/ and enlarged it 155% using a copier.  He's made from a bunch of red cotton calico prints.  I painted on his eyes with acrylics:

He guards my boyfriend's bedroom now.  Rawr!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
feefifo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 11:48:22 PM »

i like his ears  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://feefifo.etsy.com/
Feefifo patterns and plushies!

Art commissions accepted Smiley Just PM to ask!
Shazrasha

A very crafty Doctor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 03:59:27 AM »

I agree with the above comment the ears are indeed very cute. I also like the scrunchy body. It looks very cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I do Personal swaps though you might have to ask me really nicely as I don't have huge swathes of time on my hands Smiley However I love crafting for other people.
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 04:31:01 AM »

I was planning on making these for my boys for xmas - but didn't get around to it.

what kind of fabric did you use and how big did you blow up the pattern if at all?  Someone sent me fabric to make these with but the pieces look too small - I am still going to make it but I want to make them bigger for my boys to cuddle with.

How big is its head and its length?  I know I am asking faaaaar too much, aren't I?

I just love this and can't wait to start on it for them.  I need to rummage through my two boxes of fabric and see if I have some bright colorful fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 06:30:08 AM »

I was planning on making these for my boys for xmas - but didn't get around to it.

what kind of fabric did you use and how big did you blow up the pattern if at all?  Someone sent me fabric to make these with but the pieces look too small - I am still going to make it but I want to make them bigger for my boys to cuddle with.

How big is its head and its length?  I know I am asking faaaaar too much, aren't I?

I just love this and can't wait to start on it for them.  I need to rummage through my two boxes of fabric and see if I have some bright colorful fabric!

Have fun making these guys, I sure did!  Its actually a pretty easy pattern, just a little time-consuming, because there's about 70 'yo-yo's to make for the body.  And since you string them all on elastic, I bet they'd be great for a little kid to play with!

The first two wyverns I made, I used the pattern exactly as printed out, it made dragons that were about 1 foot long nose to tail.  Amanos and another I made, I took the pattern to a copy machine and enlarged it by 155%.  I don't have one to measure, but the head is about 5" long.  Don't forget to adjust the size of the 'yo-yo' circles if you're going to change the pattern size (the sizes they give you are for if you enlarge it 200% after printing)

For the fabrics, I just bought a bunch of Quilter's Fat Quarters in similar colors.  You'll want about 4 or 5 for a bigger dragon.  I also used cotton batting in place of the foam pieces.  Cheaper and only a little thinner.

Oh, and since the directions aren't too specific, I gathered the bottom of the ears, then tacked the ends together neatly before stiching them to the head.  And I made a second tail, and stiched the 2 tails together to encase the end button better.

Hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 06:41:30 AM »

That did help tremendously and I appreciate you taking the time to answer me so specifically!

When I saw this pattern online months ago I knew it would be a hit with them. I figured the elastic would make it nice and snakey - things little boys love!

I also was going to do batting instead of foam - a bit more machine washable was my thinking!  I love the idea of the way you did the tail and think I will do that as well!

Thanks again!  I do intend to start on these guys hopefully this weekend!  I hate that I ran out of time before xmas to get these guys done but the boys will be happy to get them any old time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
chasmyn
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 01:51:58 PM »

Fabulous! Even better than the originals! Now I want to make some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astroflammante
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007 12:18:07 PM »

Finally a good use for yo-yos!  Cheesy Great work.

Thanks for the link to the patterns... I like both dragons and bats, so these are perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monkeymaker

my eyes!! my eyes!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007 01:05:30 PM »

wow! that looks great. wonderful expression in the eyes too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm leaning on my shovel in this graveyard of dreams ~ devil makes three
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY 3-Ingredient Deep Hair Conditioner
Get Wednesday Addams Twists Hairstyle
Chescalocs on the Natural Vs. Relaxed Hair Debate
How to Do a Super Easy Bun
How to Style Thin or Thinning Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...