A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hey look, another interfacing question!  (Read 722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 03, 2007 05:49:34 PM »

I'm sorry to post another one of these as they seem to pop up so often but I'm still baffled with this stuff and wanted to ask something a little more specific. I'm doing a kind of personal swap with a friend and she just mentioned that she's done with my stuff and I haven't even started hers! I'm making her a knitting bag which just so happens to be the first bag I've made. Ever. So, here's my question: The outside of my bag is a black twill and the inside is a red satiny material. I bought some interfacing but realized too late that it was sew in, not fusible. I also think it's too thin to hold the bag upright even when it doesn't have a whole lot of stuff in it. I saw some super thick almost padded fusible interfacing at Hancock the other day but wanted to make sure that that would be ok with people who knew more about it than I do before I spent $8 a yard on it. Tongue So does anyone have any personal preferences for interfacing? Oh, and should I fuse it to the lining as well or just the outer material? Thanks a lot for your advice. Smiley
Tutorial Contributor

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 05:55:47 PM »

walmart  has  some  really good  stiff  interfacing  much cheaper than  8 a  yard.    I  use  webbing  inbetween  non fusible interfacing and  the  fabric.......   its  super  thin adn  creates teh  same  effect  as teh  fusible  stuff (for  me   anyway)   or  you could  use  plastic  canvas  as a  stiffer  form  of   middle.

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007 07:55:10 AM »

I just made a bag for my sister for Christmas and used something new - I used the Gesso-treated canvas from the art store.  I was in the art store one day when they had a remnant piece that had some marks on it....they almost gave it to me it was so cheap! The canvas is stiff enough to keep the shape, it cut just like fabric and sewed up like a dream. 
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007 10:30:13 AM »

ooh good idea about the canvas. I certainly spend enough at the art store as it is and that I way I could pass it off as an education expense. Genius! Thanks for the advice both of you. I'm going to try a couple different things on my handy el cheapo muslin and see what seems easiest for a newbie like myself. Thanks again! Smiley

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007 04:53:07 PM »

Be careful when purchasing cheap interfacing - often is is very brittle, almost like paper and it makes your bag feel crunchy. A great tip when applying fusible interfacing is to turn the temperature down - often when you apply interfacing it bubbles - this is because the heat is too high.

Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
crafting in my cave
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007 05:12:40 PM »

Brima, the stiff, padded interfacing sounds like you found the really stiff stuff to make fabric bowls and fabric vases. Definitely too stuff for a purse. The different weights depend on what the use and what fabric you're using it with.

I think for something that is satin, you might want to stick with the sew-in. If you iron it onto the satiny fabric, you'll lose some of the fluidity that is part of the beauty of the fabric. I just treat it as a another layer when sewing your lining -- in other words, when you sew your lining together, just put the two interfacing pieces around it (facing, satin, satin, facing) and stitch; no need to stitch the satin, then facing pieces then join. It would be extra nice to stitch in the ditch on the bottom of the satin/facing when you have your lining done -- just so that it stays together.

IMHO -- only because when I was a kid, my mom never had me sew with fusible facing; she was soooo old school and sewed piecework, which the L.A. garment industry didn't give her (us) fusible facing. I felt to free as a college kid ironing my facing and felt I was doing it behind mom's back. Silly, huh?

But I digress. You're just looking for a little structure, so the canvas will work as well. I would take a swatch (big swatch) of the twill and the satin with you and sandwhich the pieces and hold it in your hands. I'm wondering if it would feel heavy on one side with the twill/canvas and the satiny might feel too light -- might want to consider a heavier weight polyester lining material to even it out.

I hope I didn't confuse you -- this should all stay fun to do.

Sew, what are you up to? http://asgchicago.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look: Boyfriend Jeans from Day to Night
Twist on a Classic: Jeans and a Tee
Get the Look: Date Night Oufit 3 Ways
Get the Look: Maxi Dress From Day to Night
Get the Look: 3 Ways To Wear Leather Pants
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...