A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Orla Kiely dress = LOVE  (Read 3441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kinderbean
« on: January 03, 2007 02:35:52 PM »

Despite not liking to be a trend-follower most of the time, I have fallen in love with babydoll dresses and this one is so beautiful: http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?sbsize=1&sbs=1&sbsCatID=314&itemID=13222&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=314&iMainCat=4

Does anyone have a good babydoll/trapeze style dress pattern? It seems like it would be easy to make but the sleeves might be a bit difficult...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sinis+er
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 04:24:03 PM »

i don't have a pattern for this dress, but i can tell you that this dress would be super easy to make. and depending on your 'artistic' abilities, you wont need a pattern either.  it looks to me to be about 6 pieces (front, back, 2 arm cuffs, 2 pieces for neck band) and all you have to do is ease the nack band and arm cuffs onto the front and back.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 04:37:04 PM »

You're not alone, I've seen this dress everywhere lately, it seems!

I don't think the top/sleeves would be that difficult. It looks like a peasant blouse, only with fewer, smaller gathers - and instead of elasticizing the neckline/top of sleeves, they're gathered into a band at the neck.

The neck is obviously a curved band - if you try just doing a long rectangle, it won't lay right. Also, it looks like the bottom of the sleeves are gathered into tiny bands. Other than that, an elongated a-line peasant blouse.

Do you have a dressmaker's dummy? It shouldn't be too hard to draft, really. I think the hardest part would be finding some righteously cool fabric like that print!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
ziabox
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007 05:33:09 PM »

How would one go about doing the curved neckband with a non stretch fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinderbean
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007 08:33:14 PM »

thanks all-
unfortunately my "artistic abilities" are limited when it comes to sewing so I'm afraid to buy nice fabric and screw it up. Perhaps I will experiment with an old bedsheet!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ericab
~Erica B.~

D.I.Y with Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007 10:10:13 AM »

You may want to conisder Simplicity 4045.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007 02:52:41 PM »

How would one go about doing the curved neckband with a non stretch fabric?

I would literally cut the piece to the shape I wanted it to be once it was laid flat (plus seam allowances, of course!), so it would be slightly curved on the bottom, and slightly more curved on the top. It would probably also be easier to have the front and back of the dress have separate neck pieces, and just seam them together over the top of the shoulder. If there's a back zip or something, that would mean the back neckband would be in two separate pieces, of course, but I'll oversimplify here for clarity.

Also, it would be a good idea to cut two - an outer piece and an inner. I would hem the inside (the part that lays closest to the neck) of the two pieces first. Then I would sew the neckband front (front of the dress) to the neckband back (back of the dress) - basically, sew the shoulder seams together, and press the seams flat. Then I would press again, to make sure inner (lining) and outer neckbands would lie smooth. So, if you looked at it, you would have a sort of oval neckband now that would go around the top of your dress. Last thing would be to press the bottom hems up/inside (between the layers of the lining and outer neckband), then set the neckband down over your dress 5/8" and pin securely, then stitch 1/8 of an inch from the edge and voila!

It's hard to explain these things without diagrams. If you're confused, let me know, and I will do a sketch and scan it to you! =)

cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
CraftyCoug

Croquet at Molbaks

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007 05:43:26 PM »

That is hard to explain, sewing is so annoying like that sometimes!  That's how Anthropologie did it, though.  The fabric they used was wool/silk w/ acetate lining, none of which is stretchy. 

And hey!!  That simplicity pattern's got all the right stuff, too.  Looks like there are 3 differences - Anthropologies has less shape, puffy sleeves, and is gathered all the way around the neckline.  Simple solutions: cut the dress part like you would a skirt (with no curves and wider at the bottom than the top and if its too wide, just bring the seam in how you like), use sleeves from another pattern or ignore the difference, and use a busy fabric so you won't notice that the gathers are different.

Maybe you could adapt this simplicity top to the dress suggested earlier.  This has a similar neckline and sleeves to Anthropologie, but not the length and I think the cut is too boxy.

GOOD LUCK!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down w/ a personal swap now and then!  PM me!

www.craftycougknits .blogspot.com
kinderbean
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007 08:37:46 PM »

ah thank you ericab and craftycoug! Those look like they could work well... I will try all your suggestions once I start the dress, hopefully soon once I get some neat fabric! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ziabox
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007 10:25:53 AM »

I would literally cut the piece to the shape I wanted it to be once it was laid flat (plus seam allowances, of course!), so it would be slightly curved on the bottom, and slightly more curved on the top. It would probably also be easier to have the front and back of the dress have separate neck pieces, and just seam them together over the top of the shoulder. If there's a back zip or something, that would mean the back neckband would be in two separate pieces, of course, but I'll oversimplify here for clarity.

Also, it would be a good idea to cut two - an outer piece and an inner. I would hem the inside (the part that lays closest to the neck) of the two pieces first. Then I would sew the neckband front (front of the dress) to the neckband back (back of the dress) - basically, sew the shoulder seams together, and press the seams flat. Then I would press again, to make sure inner (lining) and outer neckbands would lie smooth. So, if you looked at it, you would have a sort of oval neckband now that would go around the top of your dress. Last thing would be to press the bottom hems up/inside (between the layers of the lining and outer neckband), then set the neckband down over your dress 5/8" and pin securely, then stitch 1/8 of an inch from the edge and voila!

It's hard to explain these things without diagrams. If you're confused, let me know, and I will do a sketch and scan it to you! =)

cheers!

Thanks for explaining it!! I get it now hehehe.
I just might try this dress. I really like it.
Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Angry Macaroni and Cheese and No-Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Cups Recipes
How to Make Porter Ale Chili
Guacamole Stuffed Deviled Eggs Recipe
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
How to Make Cracker Jack Ice Cream
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...