A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Random Yarn Help  (Read 390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TinkerMonroe
« on: January 03, 2007 01:56:15 PM »

One of my best friends is having a baby boy in April.  I would really like to knit a baby blanket.  My Mom gave me this 'Baby-Luv' yarn that my Aunt bought and gave her.  It came in a package of 3 balls all ready to make a baby blanket... but no pattern!  I guess that's why it was sold off for 3$. 

I have googled the name but came up with nothing.

I have 3 balls - 4.94oz(140g) each.  It's 87% acrylic, 10% nylon, and 3% polyester.  Uses 9us/5can needles.

I am wondering if anyone has some pattern suggestions.  I'm fairly new to knitting, so while I look at patterns that use a different type of wool (say, a specific type of Lion Brand) I am not sure if this wool would be compatible.  That's why I am asking for help.

Experienced knitters please help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glue, stuck to my shoe.

Blog
I joined the revolution! I Wisted!
creepyhugger
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 03:29:52 PM »

you can pretty much use any pattern you like, and as long as the suggested needle size and yarn weight are similar, it will all work out in the end.  because it's a blanket, it doesn't really matter (rather than if you were making a sweater, etc).  size nine needles are a decent size, so it sounds like it's a relatively bulky yarn? 

ok, so i think i found a pic of the kind of yarn you have for sale in a lot on ebay. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/400-g-Mixed-Lot-Baby-Yarn-Cotton-Rayon-Acrylic-Soft_W0QQitemZ8288330138QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36593QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item8288330138it (sorry for the really really long link, but ebay is like that and i don't know how to make the link all short and pretty)

looks like it's a fairly textured yarn, so you can make a fairly simple pattern and it will still look cool.  i would suggest looking for a simple pattern that you like that uses size 9 needles and going for it!  I made a lovely blanket once with garter stitch edges and just a simple checkerboard pattern with alternating knit and purl blocks. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PhoenixDawn

Um, so how does this work?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 04:39:04 PM »

I bought some of this when i was pregnant to make a blanket for my son; it's buried somewhere in my stash.  it's terrible yarn to work with, especially if you're not that experienced.   the pattern mine came with was for a crocheted blanket, but i think it got lost.  anyway, if you do use it, try using needles a size or two bigger than the recommended size; it easier to see your stitiches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...