A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with deep yellow mohair?  (Read 660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maritime Fibreista
« on: January 03, 2007 01:55:23 PM »

My FIL has been wonderful about finding yarn for me - just sometimes his discoveries cause a lot of creativity to happen  Cheesy.  Last month it was a bag full of intense yellow mohair (deeper than plain yellow, but not much, very vibrant) - which is not a colour I can wear, nor anyone I normally gift to.  Also a little scratchy.  Other than the occasional shot in a fair isle, what can I make out of this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 04:53:28 PM »

What about pillows, or edging on an afghan? Even a tea cozy or knit with other wool as a hotpad? I just made pillows with mohair and I love the way the texture looks in home decor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 07:23:45 PM »

LAAAAAAAACE! Cheesy

Is it like a schoolbus yellow? What weight is it? What's the yardage? Chances are, it would make a fabulous shawl. Mohair fluffs nicely, so worked up on (relatively) large needles for it's (usually) thin weight, it looks fabulous as lace. As a shawl, you can wear it over other clothes for extra warmth (in temperature and color, sounds like!) without the scratchiness being a problem. I've been working up an Icarus shawl in a similar color (cadmium from handpaintedyarn.com, I'm really liking their stuff) and it's so cheery. Yellow is my most favoritest color Smiley In all seriousness, if you can't find a thing to do with it and want to sell it, drop me a line?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 05:27:04 AM »

Take a piece of it with you to the yarn shop and try it next to other yarns.  You might find a color that you can strand it with - or a variegated yarn - that will tone down the color enough to make it wearable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Maritime Fibreista
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 10:29:55 AM »

oooo, good ideas!

I'm going to try to add a scanned pic - it looks kinda similar to the colour on my screen, but my screen is also wonky... 'school bus yellow' is actually pretty close I think - but it's been a while since I've been close to a school bus  Tongue

The yarn doesn't have a gauge listed, but it does suggest 5.5mm needles (I think that's US9), so I hadn't thought shawl before - but the core yarn is tiny, it's just the halo that makes it that heavy - so open lace could work, and I do love me some lace  Kiss.

I hadn't thought about home dec - I usually don't go for intense colours that way - but last year we moved to a place we can't paint and my 'forest green' scheme is starting to drive me around the bend... a little sunshine could go a long way I think.

Using it with other yarns was the direction I was thinking before - but if I can get away from the headache of trying to match gauges and appropriate textures with this mystery yarn, I think I'll go that way first.

And I rarely get 'good' yarn (most of the stuff I knit with comes from recycled sweaters), so I'm not about to part with it just yet - but I'll certainly let everyone know if it angers me to the point of dismissal  Cheesy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007 10:32:04 AM by Maritime Fibreista » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moneycll
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 12:47:25 PM »

How about some kool aid dyeing (or iceing gels)? A little blue would give you a georous shade of turqoise I am thinking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neggie
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007 02:30:55 PM »

I was also going to suggest dyeing. If you have a whole whack of it you could experiment with a few colours... 

I have a few skeins of really wonky coloured mohair that I bought solely because it was on sale, and my plan is to try dyeing it and make felted plush monsters out of it... but I don't know if that's actually a viable option (especially if you have so much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Escribita
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007 05:36:22 PM »

personally i think its a very pretty color.  I just got a whole bunch of really dull grey mohair that i'm trying to figure out what to do with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Starshell Discusses Debut, Working With Mary J. Blige & Clothing Line
5 Fall Looks From Macy’s Glamorama Show
Ways To Wear Maxi Dresses For Fall
Five Essentials For Fall Fashions
New York Fashion Week Detail Cam: Shoes - Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...