A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with deep yellow mohair?  (Read 728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maritime Fibreista
« on: January 03, 2007 01:55:23 PM »

My FIL has been wonderful about finding yarn for me - just sometimes his discoveries cause a lot of creativity to happen  Cheesy.  Last month it was a bag full of intense yellow mohair (deeper than plain yellow, but not much, very vibrant) - which is not a colour I can wear, nor anyone I normally gift to.  Also a little scratchy.  Other than the occasional shot in a fair isle, what can I make out of this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 04:53:28 PM »

What about pillows, or edging on an afghan? Even a tea cozy or knit with other wool as a hotpad? I just made pillows with mohair and I love the way the texture looks in home decor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 07:23:45 PM »

LAAAAAAAACE! Cheesy

Is it like a schoolbus yellow? What weight is it? What's the yardage? Chances are, it would make a fabulous shawl. Mohair fluffs nicely, so worked up on (relatively) large needles for it's (usually) thin weight, it looks fabulous as lace. As a shawl, you can wear it over other clothes for extra warmth (in temperature and color, sounds like!) without the scratchiness being a problem. I've been working up an Icarus shawl in a similar color (cadmium from handpaintedyarn.com, I'm really liking their stuff) and it's so cheery. Yellow is my most favoritest color Smiley In all seriousness, if you can't find a thing to do with it and want to sell it, drop me a line?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 05:27:04 AM »

Take a piece of it with you to the yarn shop and try it next to other yarns.  You might find a color that you can strand it with - or a variegated yarn - that will tone down the color enough to make it wearable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Maritime Fibreista
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 10:29:55 AM »

oooo, good ideas!

I'm going to try to add a scanned pic - it looks kinda similar to the colour on my screen, but my screen is also wonky... 'school bus yellow' is actually pretty close I think - but it's been a while since I've been close to a school bus  Tongue

The yarn doesn't have a gauge listed, but it does suggest 5.5mm needles (I think that's US9), so I hadn't thought shawl before - but the core yarn is tiny, it's just the halo that makes it that heavy - so open lace could work, and I do love me some lace  Kiss.

I hadn't thought about home dec - I usually don't go for intense colours that way - but last year we moved to a place we can't paint and my 'forest green' scheme is starting to drive me around the bend... a little sunshine could go a long way I think.

Using it with other yarns was the direction I was thinking before - but if I can get away from the headache of trying to match gauges and appropriate textures with this mystery yarn, I think I'll go that way first.

And I rarely get 'good' yarn (most of the stuff I knit with comes from recycled sweaters), so I'm not about to part with it just yet - but I'll certainly let everyone know if it angers me to the point of dismissal  Cheesy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007 10:32:04 AM by Maritime Fibreista » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moneycll
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 12:47:25 PM »

How about some kool aid dyeing (or iceing gels)? A little blue would give you a georous shade of turqoise I am thinking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

neggie
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007 02:30:55 PM »

I was also going to suggest dyeing. If you have a whole whack of it you could experiment with a few colours... 

I have a few skeins of really wonky coloured mohair that I bought solely because it was on sale, and my plan is to try dyeing it and make felted plush monsters out of it... but I don't know if that's actually a viable option (especially if you have so much!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Escribita
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007 05:36:22 PM »

personally i think its a very pretty color.  I just got a whole bunch of really dull grey mohair that i'm trying to figure out what to do with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How The Light Gets In 2012: Who Has Impacted Your Personal Philosophy?
Salman Rushdie and Christopher Hitchens Discuss Hitch 22
Harold Bloom on Shakespeare, Strangeness, and Meaning
Aaron Sorkin Shares His Writing Process
"Does This Baby Make Me Look Straight?" Author Interview
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...